Best editor for use with visual novels

DoctorPervic

Game Developer
Aug 13, 2019
Hi, I'm a newbeee in Visual Novel creation and Renpy so just to let you all know.

I am using Jedit right now for my coding of renpy, but would like to know if anyone knows of a specific editor that is the best for renpy code? something that helps you out better then most editors, if there is something like that? If not and all editors are created equal. that's cool too.

just wanted to know.

any help greatly appreciated. thanks. :)

Hones

Forum Fanatic
Compressor
Aug 10, 2018
I like Brackets for coding but I agree with Winterfire if you are fine working with Jedit then you should stick with that.

Those are the sites for Brackets & Atom if you want to take a look.

V.A. Laurie

Game Writer & Editor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
update: I'm giving Atom a try. Is there a way to turn off the Auto Close Quotations?

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
It really depends on what you want out of a programming text editor.

Best free and easy to use versions are probably Atom/Brackets/Notepad++

If you want to spend money maybe sublime?

I would suggest using a mono spaced font so everything is easier to make sure it is properly in place and set it up for the language you are using in the case of ren'py that would be python.

If you are doing full on programming I suggest visual studio.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Editors are kind of like religions - they all do basically the same thing just with slightly different approaches, you like the one you like because you like it and aren't likely to be converted via someone else's arguments about the superiority of theirs, and some people are absolute zealots about them. Basically, use what feels good. I happen to use Atom, but JEdit is a fine editor as well. The main thing I would recommend is that you use one that has syntax highlighting for Ren'py - that goes a LONG way to helping you find typos early.