Daz Best HDR assets for interiot lighting during night?

joecoe

Jun 14, 2018
If I want to illuminate the room by removing the ceiling and using HDR, which DAZ assets and render-settings give the impression of a night scene and a room illuminated by the ceiling lights?
I'm not trying to make an ultrarealistic scene, I just want something that looks relatively good.

I tried some render-settings from iRadiance - Light Probe HDR Lighting for Iray, but I wasn't very happy with the result.
Is HDR useful for simulating indoor lighting at night, or is it inevitable to use spot lights or emissive shaders for this purpose?

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I don't know of any hdri that have a good ceiling. I port my models to blender, so I don't know what settings you can tweak with daz, but here is what I have found in previous tests.

making lights that are softer (often achieved by making them physically larger, either a point or better yet an area light pointing down) tend to look good for everything, and increasing or decreasing light bounces increases or decreases render time but it also makes the light fill the room better or less (respectively ordered wording), and depends on your style. disney and pixar tend to go for 12 bounces (which is rather high I usually find 3 is the balance between enough/high and low/fast/flat looking).

ice2019

Aug 5, 2019
i suggest Iray hdri wow lights.
i use them alot

you can change the height and direction easily so it looks realistic and blends into the room
its harder to do that with an normal hdri map

or just use one or two ghost lamps as the only light sources

joecoe

Jun 14, 2018
Does anyone use sun and sky feature of render settings for the purpose i describe (Playing with SS time, environment intensity, SS blue-red tint etc.?)

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
For night scene I light the scene like usual then over-expose with tone mapping and reduce environment intensity. You generally have to adjust your light here and there (temperature & luminance). Never used S&S for night shot tho.

There is a small tutorial on Daz forum with an hdri setup :

Reactions: fried

joecoe

Jun 14, 2018
For night scene I light the scene like usual then over-expose with tone mapping and reduce environment intensity. You generally have to adjust your light here and there (temperature & luminance). Never used S&S for night shot tho.

There is a small tutorial on Daz forum with an hdri setup :
Thanks. I kdow this tutorial. But I think it is intended mainly for outdoor scenes. I try to make scenes that simulate a room well lit by artificial lighting, mostly by some warm color light, not dark outdoor scenes.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
You may use an Iray interior cam. It will diffuse your HDRI/dome lightening through wall and celling (without the need to remove them).

Last edited: