best method for creating tattoo?

tigriss

Jul 31, 2020
Was is best method for quickly creating and 3D painting a tattoo into skin of Daz3D Genesis 8? I tried Photoshop onto 2D diffuse color map, but result is not best. I saw Substance Painter and ZBrush tattoo tutorial videos, but looks expensive software and complicated! Looking for easy 3D paint option. Thank you.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
For a tattoo I would say PS/Gimp route is the most simple. Blend your picture or draw your tattoo onto the skin. Save as whatever name you want. Then load your char, select the body part surface you modified, click on base color, layered image editor. Click on the "+", add layer, select your tattoo on ressource. Adjust opacity (you may want to tone down) and you're done.

Reactions: tigriss

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Tattoos are a secondary texture on top of the main one, hence why you can usually move them around in games with a character creator. In short, they are decals, like graffiti on a wall.

I literally googled "daz3d adding decals" and found this:
I am not going to watch the whole thing, but I assume he's going to use: which I assume is daz's way to add decals. IDK cos I do not use DAZ, but decals is what you are looking for.

tigriss

Jul 31, 2020
For a tattoo I would say PS/Gimp route is the most simple. Blend your picture or draw your tattoo onto the skin. Save as whatever name you want. Then load your char, select the body part surface you modified, click on base color, layered image editor. Click on the "+", add layer, select your tattoo on ressource. Adjust opacity (you may want to tone down) and you're done.
Is "screen" or "overlay" function best for tattoo appearance? Maybe the set the tattoo layer as a "screen" layer with reduce opacity and blur for tattoo effect? Objective is simulate real tattoo ink UNDER skin surface. I will test!