Best monitor to play VN in FullHD

Claudio83

Engaged Member
Sep 22, 2016
Hi,

for playing VN (usually in RenPy) with resolution 1920x1080 is better a 24" or a 27" with FullHD resolution? I have both the 24" and the 27", i have also a 2K 27", but in this monitor these VN are blurred (i can see the pixels)… i usually play at these VN in fullscreen.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
Hi,

for playing VN (usually in RenPy) with resolution 1920x1080 is better a 24" or a 27" with FullHD resolution? I have both the 24" and the 27", i have also a 2K 27", but in this monitor these VN are blurred (i can see the pixels)… i usually play at these VN in fullscreen.
It will depend on the game, some have renders at 4K, most will more likely be 1080p or lower, especially if you play compressed versions.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
you could use a retina scoring, a term coined by apple.
from what I understand of the computer community about 6 years ago,
24" is the best voted size for a 1080p display (if you want to buy a monitor)
and 27" for 2K
these are just things from reddit, and this is just for general use.

what I say matters more is get an IPS (or similarly VA ) pannel type, they have the best color quality, unlike cheap TN.

Claudio83

Engaged Member
Sep 22, 2016
It will depend on the game, some have renders at 4K, most will more likely be 1080p or lower, especially if you play compressed versions.
In general almost all VN have 1080p or lower, also the normal (not compressed) version.
If in this forum there are VN with 2k or 4k resolution, please show me which ones.

Claudio83

Engaged Member
Sep 22, 2016
you could use a retina scoring, a term coined by apple.
from what I understand of the computer community about 6 years ago,
24" is the best voted size for a 1080p display (if you want to buy a monitor)
and 27" for 2K
these are just things from reddit, and this is just for general use.

what I say matters more is get an IPS (or similarly VA ) pannel type, they have the best color quality, unlike cheap TN.
I use these monitors for gaming, so i have always choosen a TN with 1ms of response time and 144Hz of refresh rate.
So you suggest that i'd buy a 24" IPS or VA FullHD for playing the visual novels in this forum?

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I use these monitors for gaming, so i have always choosen a TN with 1ms of response time and 144Hz of refresh rate.
So you suggest that i'd buy a 24" IPS or VA FullHD for playing the visual novels in this forum?
sure, or just buy the best monitor so you never need to get a new one.

for me it was the Acer XB270HU, 27" 2k, 4ms response time, 165Hz overclock, wide dynamic range (but not HDR, just high contrast), IPS, color tuned (multi moded).

If I upgrade it is either going to be VR, a 3D display, or the HDR standards get their shit together so that I can buy something with broad file compatibility, its a god damn disgrace! :p

The ghost test on this (recently updated this year) is pretty good to test your monitor with , I find my IPS monitor matches my 1ms TN pannels, and its a low input lag gaming monitor so its good to go, no compromises. Plenty of videos talking about how its the best monitor.

Claudio83

Engaged Member
Sep 22, 2016
sure, or just buy the best monitor so you never need to get a new one.

for me it was the Acer XB270HU, 27" 2k, 4ms response time, 165Hz overclock, wide dynamic range (but not HDR, just high contrast), IPS, color tuned (multi moded).

If I upgrade it is either going to be VR, a 3D display, or the HDR standards get their shit together so that I can buy something with broad file compatibility, its a god damn disgrace! :p

The ghost test on this (recently updated this year) is pretty good to test your monitor with , I find my IPS monitor matches my 1ms TN pannels, and its a low input lag gaming monitor so its good to go, no compromises. Plenty of videos talking about how its the best monitor.
I have a Dell S2716DG (TN, G-Sync, 2k, 1ms, 144Hz) as my best monitor, with a RTX 2080 (OC) and a I7-9700K.
I have tried to play VN in fullscreen with this monitor, but the images are blurred with the pixels almost visible, so i have to reduce the game's window (about the half) and in this way the images return defined...
Otherwise i have to play fullscreen with my other monitor, that is VG278Q, being a 27" FullHD the images are decent (in fullscreen).

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
some game art don't scale well sometimes. I blame it on that 2k isn't considered standard yet.

RTX 2080 (OC) and a I7-9700K
actively licking screen
My cpu is what needs the most upgrading at this point, I am thinking of going thread ripper in a year or two.