Best non-traditional VN story?

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
By non-traditional, I mean it doesn't stick to the standard path of the typical VN here. For example, no primary love interest is forced on you or developed non-MC male characters that aren't there as competition yet are still integral to the plot or have their own subplots despite not being a LI at all, etc.

Currently, my favorite would be Acting Lessons. The story is as compelling as an actual novel, Liam is one of the best characters in any VN I've seen to date, even though a primary love interest is hinted at in the beginning you can choose a different love interest completely and have what you thought was the primary as just a friend. It has over 20 unique endings and it pulls no punches in terms of destroying your soul at the end.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
not sure what you're looking for, but saya no uta is one of the rare japanese VNs that sticks out of the masses for me.

GrabberWalkie

Jul 9, 2020
I'm not certain, but maybe Dreams of Desire? Sure, it's a harem kind of VN, the PC lives in a house with 3-4 women (mom and sisters, or landlady and roommates accordingly, in the "patched" version), plus encounters several others as the plot progresses, but apparently you're not forced into romancing anyone and it's largely up to you (at least, the family members are optional, I don't remember if the plot forces a girlfriend upon you at some point, I've played it quite a while ago, you see). On the other hand, the PC does need to have positive relations with at least one of the sisters, because the ending depends on it, but you can still not do it if you don't want to. Additionally, the PC has a best friend who is not a rival but is kinda important to the plot, and depending on how you treat him, he may help, or betray you.
And even if it's not what you're looking for, I still suggest playing it: it's well written, the plot is captivating, and the renders are delicious!

Last edited:

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
not sure what you're looking for, but saya no uta is one of the rare japanese VNs that sticks out of the masses for me.
I was reading through the tropes thread here and I started wondering about story-based ones I've seen that avoided the most common. Just something with a good story to set it apart from the typical VN. There were only a few that I've found, like, as I mentioned, Acting Lessons, etc. Fetishes involved don't matter for the most part, I enjoy some NTR, etc. The only things I really avoid actively are rape and loli stories.

Last edited:

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
You can't honestly say you don't want a primary love interest forced on you and then say Acting Lessons is your favourite game. Because Megan's relationship is not just "hinted", it's actually imposed even if you don't want her. Few well-considered games are so terrible on that aspect, as it presents you several chances in which you can choose to completely neglect Megan or tell Liam you're not interested in her, yet your MC will fall miserably for her for plot reasons, kissing and groping her in your bed and telling her how nice it would be to explore your mutual feelings (what feelings, man, if I'm avoiding her at every chance I get?). That's not 'just a friend' in my book. Sure, if you don't like her enough then you don't even have a chance to save her at the fire (which could make for another discussion), but the whole game and its writing (especially if you're not interested in her) is a constant fight between what the player is doing versus what the writer wanted you to do in order his story can take that tragical turn. Sooo frustrating. So I'll give him the credit for not being afraid of showing some serious and emotional stuff in a lewd game (and I agree with your opinion of Liam), but gaming-wise is a bad game/VN, in my opinion.

Depraved Awakening and City of Broken Dreamers by Phillygames gives you real freedom in terms of which LI you want to pursue and all choices really matter. Males NPCs are especially important in Depraved Awakening as they can fuck you over if you don't make wise choices

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
You can't honestly say you don't want a primary love interest forced on you and then say Acting Lessons is your favourite game. Because Megan's relationship is not just "hinted", it's actually imposed even if you don't want her. Few well-considered games are so terrible on that aspect, as it presents you several chances in which you can choose to completely neglect Megan or tell Liam you're not interested in her, yet your MC will fall miserably for her for plot reasons, kissing and groping her in your bed and telling her how nice it would be to explore your mutual feelings (what feelings, man, if I'm avoiding her at every chance I get?). That's not 'just a friend' in my book. Sure, if you don't like her enough then you don't even have a chance to save her at the fire (which could make for another discussion), but the whole game and its writing (especially if you're not interested in her) is a constant fight between what the player is doing versus what the writer wanted you to do in order his story can take that tragical turn. Sooo frustrating. So I'll give him the credit for not being afraid of showing some serious and emotional stuff in a lewd game (and I agree with your opinion of Liam), but gaming-wise is a bad game/VN, in my opinion.

Depraved Awakening and City of Broken Dreamers by Phillygames gives you real freedom in terms of which LI you want to pursue and all choices really matter. Males NPCs are especially important in Depraved Awakening as they can fuck you over if you don't make wise choices
Beggers can't be choosers in this genre. Of all the ones I've played Acting Lessons broke the mold the most. Sure, Megan is there, but you don't really have to focus on her any more than you have to just so you don't piss off Melissa, lol. On top of that it's one of the few to give the MC the option to NOT choose her.

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
Beggers can't be choosers in this genre. Of all the ones I've played Acting Lessons broke the mold the most. Sure, Megan is there, but you don't really have to focus on her any more than you have to just so you don't piss off Melissa, lol.
The point is that I didn't focus on her AT ALL, yet I had to see my MC doing and saying lots of things to her which were in clear contradiction with my prior choices. That's not good. In the end I get he needs the MC to do those things to explain the final events, but then he should have made Melissa going to live with us from the beginning. Even not giving us so many options to show our lack of interest in Megan would've been better off to avoid that awkward effect I experienced.

Mimir's Lab

Game Developer
Sep 30, 2019
Don't know if this fits in your definition of non-traditional story, but it fits in mine. It's not the "best" per say, but I do want to draw attention to how it is non-traditional. I'm referring to Sorcerer and how it's dev uses visuals (character action) as a form of storytelling instead of relying heavily on dialogue to explain everything to the player. Now, I think his execution could be a lot better but I think he's on the right track and, in my limited experience in adult VN's, is the only dev I've seen using visual storytelling. It's actually similar to the style that I'm using to pull off my own VN.

Reactions: tanstaafl

Fliptoynk

Nov 9, 2018
"a vn that doesn't stick to the standard path of typical vn's in'ere"

now that's hard... I dunno any vn that doesn't follow any plots and tags used by other vn's.

But I can think of 1 movie and that's demolition man. sylvester stallone and sandra bullock had sex in their minds and I bet f95 don't have a tag for that shit.