Best Version of RPGMaker

DarkLeechLich

Apr 26, 2021
Hey, I was thinking of starting development on a game, I've decided to use RPGMaker to make up for my inexperience.
Unfortunately I'm stuck on whether to use VX Ace or MZ. From what I've read MZ makes it's games HTML 5 files and VX Ace uses exe. by default, and with how many games I've seen on this site being exe. files I was wondering if there was anything faux paus about MZ or using that file type, I'm also wondering if MZ games being too harsh for lower end systems was a concern?

andrewsk

Aug 3, 2018
If it is still useful for any RPGM newbies like myself, there a couple of points.

1. VX ACE seems to be hella outdated in terms of some features. Like, for instance, the mouse control is not implemented by default.
2. MZ indeed will package ur game like an html project by default, but you can also use a "deployment" option. It will create an executable. You won't need to do that to test each change while developing a game, since there is also a "Playtest" functionale.
3. I'm not very deep into scripting, but they say that custom scripts (or plugins) for MZ are fully in Javascript, while MV uses Ruby.

andrewsk

Aug 3, 2018
There also might be different issues with the "deployment" artifact size, if it conerns you. MZ in my experience creates an overblown project artifact (that one that contains an .exe). But that could be because of me being an incompetent dunce.