VN Best VN Engine/framework/plugin?

lolzorzs

Mar 11, 2024
In your experience what was the fastest engine to create a VN in? something as easy as making a post online without caring about the location of the text.
How about finer details such as compatibility with audio files for your dialogue. A visual timer before you're allowed to click next. The duration of the audio file. A progress bar. Achievements. Autosave Checkpoints. Ability to add VFX without copying the same image 2000 times like in badly made RPGMaker maps I mean games.

Okay two separate questions, how about a dating simulator?
And the problem which Detective games, Adventure Clickers, Bethesda have been trying to solve since the 90s. Best engine/framework for a CYOA?

Brosewood

Mayor of Sutton
Game Developer
Oct 7, 2021
For making a VN? Probably Ren'py (and even if there is something easier, it's by far the most popular._

For just about everything else you've mentioned? Twine/Sugarcube assuming you're not concerned with visuals.

lolzorzs

Mar 11, 2024
Perhaps Ren'Py indeed because popularity = easier to find tutorials.
I tried looking into Construct 3 for some guy who modded a plugin to add options for a VN but it was awful, you had to insert everything manually almost like you were coding in HTML5.

Last edited:

Erosoft

Jun 19, 2017
If you want to have a lot of control over how your game works I recommend learning a general-purpose engine like Godot. For Godot in particular there is a wonderful dialogue system called Rakugo which sort of aims to emulate the functionality of Ren'Py. Godot's scripting language, GDScript, is very similar to Python.

If you are making a story-driven game without many gameplay mechanics I would certainly recommend sticking with Ren'Py if only for the wealth of learning resources available and the massive community.

lolzorzs

Mar 11, 2024
I'm looking for that tech tree/decision tree which many RPGs tried to emulate for their CYOA, but always fell short compared to the real Pathfinder and CYOA DnDs because programming usually isn't dynamic n unique beyond numbers.

Zathura2

Nov 26, 2018
It's been awhile since I used Ren'Py, I'm sure things have changed some, but I remember that adding choices was super simple. Then you assign flags to the choices and use if/then statements to change the direction of the story based on the user's choices.

It's also really simple to create a very basic VN in Ren-Py, if all you're focused on is popping up the correct avatars on the correct sides of the screen. It gets more complicated if you want custom UI's, game-mechanics, or animated avatars.