"Best" way to make a simple dress-up game in 2019

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Is Python too scary for you?

Lol, it's kinda funny, I know every single Asset he used. Not on the Model, but the Environment. Aside from the Daz Model, everything else is from Skyrim. I wonder if this "Engine" is real, but since the Textures look even worse than in oldrim, there might be a good chance it is real.

@grtrader nice tutorial, I'm sure this will help a lot of 2D artists (y)

A 3D dressup game would be something new, and potentially easy to make if you use "ready to go" engines like unity or unreal for example, they basically have all the functions at hand.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I figure most people good at 2D art don't actually need that. But there are plenty of people trying to make games who aren't artist who could use a simple way to make art. There are some decent youtube videos on coloring and shading that will finish up that those quite easily.

But if or when i get done with this little thing i am making right now it will effectively create girl packs with all the same girl and fit together. Of course it can be expanded beyond just doing girls. But I don't want to create to much work for myself off the bat. The first thing is create a workign tool. Who knows maybe people will want to submit or use their own sets and add to the content. It would make millions of scenes for people who have no artistic ability.
Even people good at 2D art need a lot of time to create every single image, I bet even for them it would become handy ;)
Btw this reminds me a lot of the good old "SuperDeepthroat", which had a similar approach in flash.

IMAJFT

Apr 14, 2019
Hello,

Just wanted to give some feedback. First of all, I survived the flame war about flash vs. HTML5 just fine. Thanks for asking. Second, I like the 3D idea but I believe it is too complicated. I just want to build a engine that allows anyone to use a few simple sprits to make a simple yet enjoyable game. I know that 3D is way better but it is also way more complex. Like making a game like counter strike is more complex then making a chess engine. And the world still needs chess games.
Speaking of making, the day I posted this I started a little project to make my engine. Haven't touched it since but as for now I am actually able to do most of what I want. Sooo, I kind of want to finish it this weekend and then upload it somewhere so artist can quickly build there own stuff.

The reason for this is that I see a lot of people staring stuff that is way to complicated to ever finish. This is my first game in ages, I want to make it work. And yes, I am still way behind.

Btw. I use pure HTML5/Java Script/CSS. I simply put down a canvas and tried to render everything just in time. That worked beautifully. I have to redraw the scene for every movement but since that works without that tearing issues even on a smart-phone that is fine by me (I used a timer to estimate 60 frames per minute, if there is a better way let me know).

Also, I can actually already code Python. I am just new to all the graphic stuff.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Flash doesn't just make swf files. You can make animations and movies in flash convert them to mp4 or webm

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Doesn't matter much after this. Hopefully people will convert some of these older games over to another system
you don't need shockwave player for Flash content. Adobe renamed Flash to Animate they are not discontinuing it.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
From adobe themselves.
Specifically they will stop updating and distributing the flash player.
Yes, animate cc: is going to continue and will create outputs for other platforms other than the flash player.
That is what people are talking about. What people are talking about going away is the flash player.
Thus unless flash games are remade and another platform selected they won't be easily playable.
You can still use Flash to make, web content, animations, movies, etc. just don't compile swf MNFSelena.gif

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Flash doesn't just make swf files. You can make animations and movies in flash convert them to mp4 or webm
Doesn't matter
you don't need shockwave player
they will stop updating and distributing the flash player.
You can still use Flash to make, web content, animations, movies, etc. just don't compile swf
No body is arguing against that.
Is english not your first language?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Is english not your first language?
Do you really think that you'll look smarter by voluntarily truncating his answers ? You just make people interrogate themselves about your ability to understand what you read. So, I'll summarize his thoughts :
It doesn't matter what Flash can effectively do, it's an outdated technology that was great at its time, but isn't needed anymore nowadays. It's good to use when it's the only thing you know, but between HTML5 abilities and Unity's web ability, it offer absolutely nothing that can't now be done in a better and easier way.
You're 5 years late in this discussion.

And by the way, the fuck with KiseKae as example of Flash abilities ? It's just a Flash player (made in 2002 if my memory don't betray me) for a Japanese DOS application (then later a opened format) which date from 1991. There's stand alone Flash dolls dress-up games that are way better than what the last extension of the KiseKae format can permit.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Of the top 100 earners on Patreon, 21 of them use Flash in the creation of their work. That speaks for itself about how valuable the creation tool is, and the fact that there is yet nothing that can replace Flash.