Best way to render an animated scene with isolated background

Torontota

Mar 2, 2018
Hello, im trying to rendering an animation will only my genesis and then after put the video animation on top of the background
how can i make my render video with my genesis with a sort of "green screen" for isolate them when i try to put the video other background pick/video ?
There is a setting for this ? or should i just make the background of my genesis completly "green" ?

Thanks for your time guys !

KlodowWW

Mar 18, 2019
Hi, I don't really understand your question, if you just put your genesis in a scene and render an image serie, you just have your genesis and an alpha channel in you final render already.

Torontota

Mar 2, 2018
I want to render an animation without background for timing optimisation, but how can i put my render video on a background image other than with a greenscreen background with my render animation of my genesis ? sorry if my sentences are weirds t_t

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
you should do them as a image series then use a video editor then you add the background with the video editor

the editor that I like to use is Movavi Video Editor

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
My setup is as follows:

I break the assets in the scene down into three basic categories - "foreground" (the figure(s) that will be animated), "background" (the part that doesn't change across the animation) and "camera and lighting".

Get the scene set up the way you want. Lighting, the poses, etc.

Take all the items that will be in the background, and put them into a group. (Ctrl-Click on them to select them all, Create > Group, select to parent the objects to the group.) Now do the same with the foreground figures into a separate group.

Now, you can save your scene two ways:
  1. The background. "Turn off" the group that has the figures, save the scene with a name that tells you it's the background. So, this scene has the background, the camera and the lights.
  2. The part to be animated. "Turn on" the figures again, "turn off" the background. In the "Render Settings," change the type to "Image Series", and under environment, turn off "Draw Dome". Save the scene with a name that tells you it's the foreground. This scene has the foreground, the camera and the lights.
Note - things can get a bit tricky if removing the background changes the lighting on your figures dramatically. You may have to take this into account when you design your lighting, and check it by enabling and disabling the background.

Render the foreground as a series of PNG's. (Important that you use PNG, not JPG, because JPG doesn't allow transparency.) If you have the background and "Draw Dome" turned off, you'll end up with PNG's that are transparent wherever the background should show.

Render the background either as a PNG or a JPG - doesn't matter.

Composite each of the foreground PNG's onto the background, to produce a series of images that have both your figure animations and the background. There are a number of different ways to do this - PhotoShop, GIMP or ImageMagick are all among them, but I'm sure there are others.

Join the image series into a video.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I found an interesting method for doing this on Youtube awhile ago that involves turning most of your scene into a background HDRI that includes the same lighting that will be present in the animation and then the animation itself only includes the actors and something like a couch or bed that the characters are on which can allow you to still render some realistic shadows during the animation. It's kind of a complicated process and I haven't actually tried it. Basically involves rendering the background at 3 different lighting levels, loading them all into photoshop as layers for the same image and then saving it as an HDRI. So you basically have a low light, medium light, and high light version of the background and then the animation itself is separate.