Mod Ren'Py Between Two Worlds WT-Mod [Chapter 9 Steam/Public][RiamMar]

RiamMar

One Hand Clapping, Heart of the Keyforge
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked before, but does this mod work with the Steam version? I'm asking because on other games WT mods can sometimes block achievements from triggering and just wanted to be sure. Thank you.
The other way around for this mod.
The mod was created with the steam version of the game and tested to work with the non-steam version.

It will not block achievements, but(!) you should verify the integrity of the game files after installing the mod, just to make sure.
I'm not sure if that's needed or if I just didn't have the latest bug fix installed. But better save than sorry.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

• Red Heart
Reactions: DeFuZe

DeFuZe

Jul 26, 2018
The other way around for this mod.
The mod was created with the steam version of the game and tested to work with the non-steam version.

It will not block achievements, but(!) you should verify the integrity of the game files after installing the mod, just to make sure.
I'm not sure if that's needed or if I just didn't have the latest bug fix installed. But better save than sorry.

Thank you so much for the quick response. Will give it a try and will check integrity of files beforehand.

Reactions: RiamMar

Moonywb

Apr 14, 2019
Hello.

just installed on my steamdeck and installed the mod. Game fails to start. It starts to load, half way through the load screen, it goes back to game select.

I verified files and still same. Is this mod out of date?

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
Hello.

just installed on my steamdeck and installed the mod. Game fails to start. It starts to load, half way through the load screen, it goes back to game select.

I verified files and still same. Is this mod out of date?
I should work with the steam version. Did you try to start the game without the mod (deleting the mod folder)?
Can you check if there's a traceback.txt with an error message in the game folder?

Feb 7, 2022
Does it work in the version that the developer himself posted today here on f95? It seems that the version he himself posted is the patreon version.

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
Does it work in the version that the developer himself posted today here on f95? It seems that the version he himself posted is the patreon version.
I checked the longest scripts with "steam stuff" in it, and all the achievement lines etc are still where they are, so you should be golden to use the steam mod version. Will update the OP to let others know as well.

Reactions: Lancaster Kingsman
Jun 27, 2023
Hi,
I used your latest mod for the updated Chapter 9 on Steam as well as downloaded from this site, and I get a key error: retain. I did remove the mod to try, but I still got the error, so I'm trying to rule out an error from the mod before I report this issue to the developer. The traceback text is as follows:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/chapter09/09_01.rpy", line 8, in script
mc "Sure. No problem. How do I do that?"
KeyError: 'retain'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "C:\Users\ruby_\Desktop\Some Fun\Itchio Games\Between2Worlds_Chapters\BetweenTwoWorlds-Chapter9-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 2557, in execute
Say.execute(self)
File "C:\Users\ruby_\Desktop\Some Fun\Itchio Games\Between2Worlds_Chapters\BetweenTwoWorlds-Chapter9-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 615, in execute
renpy.exports.say(who, what, *args, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\ruby_\Desktop\Some Fun\Itchio Games\Between2Worlds_Chapters\BetweenTwoWorlds-Chapter9-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1493, in say
who(what, *args, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\ruby_\Desktop\Some Fun\Itchio Games\Between2Worlds_Chapters\BetweenTwoWorlds-Chapter9-pc\renpy\character.py", line 1301, in __call__
return Character(kind=self, **kwargs)(what, interact=interact, _call_done=_call_done, multiple=multiple, _mode=_mode, _with_none=_with_none)
File "C:\Users\ruby_\Desktop\Some Fun\Itchio Games\Between2Worlds_Chapters\BetweenTwoWorlds-Chapter9-pc\renpy\character.py", line 1721, in Character
return type(kind)(name, kind=kind, **properties)
File "C:\Users\ruby_\Desktop\Some Fun\Itchio Games\Between2Worlds_Chapters\BetweenTwoWorlds-Chapter9-pc\renpy\character.py", line 910, in __init__
retain=d('retain'),
File "C:\Users\ruby_\Desktop\Some Fun\Itchio Games\Between2Worlds_Chapters\BetweenTwoWorlds-Chapter9-pc\renpy\character.py", line 871, in d
return kind.display_args[n] # type: ignore

Windows-10-10.0.22631 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.2.1.24030407
Between Two Worlds Chapter9
Sat Sep 14 19:24:12 2024
-----------------------------------------------------
Any ideas as to what the problem is from the above information? If I ignore and continue, the "retain" error pops up in future scenes as well.

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
Hi,
I used your latest mod for the updated Chapter 9 on Steam as well as downloaded from this site, and I get a key error: retain. I did remove the mod to try, but I still got the error, so I'm trying to rule out an error from the mod before I report this issue to the developer. The traceback text is as follows:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "C:\Users\ruby_\Desktop\Some Fun\Itchio Games\Between2Worlds_Chapters\BetweenTwoWorlds-Chapter9-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 2557, in execute
Say.execute(self)
File "C:\Users\ruby_\Desktop\Some Fun\Itchio Games\Between2Worlds_Chapters\BetweenTwoWorlds-Chapter9-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 615, in execute
renpy.exports.say(who, what, *args, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\ruby_\Desktop\Some Fun\Itchio Games\Between2Worlds_Chapters\BetweenTwoWorlds-Chapter9-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1493, in say
who(what, *args, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\ruby_\Desktop\Some Fun\Itchio Games\Between2Worlds_Chapters\BetweenTwoWorlds-Chapter9-pc\renpy\character.py", line 1301, in __call__
return Character(kind=self, **kwargs)(what, interact=interact, _call_done=_call_done, multiple=multiple, _mode=_mode, _with_none=_with_none)
File "C:\Users\ruby_\Desktop\Some Fun\Itchio Games\Between2Worlds_Chapters\BetweenTwoWorlds-Chapter9-pc\renpy\character.py", line 1721, in Character
return type(kind)(name, kind=kind, **properties)
File "C:\Users\ruby_\Desktop\Some Fun\Itchio Games\Between2Worlds_Chapters\BetweenTwoWorlds-Chapter9-pc\renpy\character.py", line 910, in __init__
retain=d('retain'),
File "C:\Users\ruby_\Desktop\Some Fun\Itchio Games\Between2Worlds_Chapters\BetweenTwoWorlds-Chapter9-pc\renpy\character.py", line 871, in d
return kind.display_args[n] # type: ignore

Windows-10-10.0.22631 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.2.1.24030407
Between Two Worlds Chapter9
Sat Sep 14 19:24:12 2024
-----------------------------------------------------
Any ideas as to what the problem is from the above information? If I ignore and continue, the "retain" error pops up in future scenes as well.
Hey there. It's 2am here, so I'm a bit sleepy... But... This doesn't look like a problem with the mod or the game.
I tested the mod on the steam and public version and you also tested it with and without mod.

The problem seems to lie in Ren'Py somewhere not having the "retain" key in the Character "mc" and I'm not really sure how that came to happen. Did you perhaps load a savegame from "ages ago" so that the character object was made with a different Ren'Py version? Again, not really sure where or how this happened and not sure what Droosk could do about it. Does this also happen when you start a new game?

I attached a little file that might help. Can you extract it and place the files in the game folder?
The file is executes an after_load label and creates the two "mc" characters objects anew. Maybe that helps and fixes it?
If you still get the error, can you have a look if it moved to another line (this error says
File "game/chapter09/09_01.rpy", line 8
in the script. Maybe it moves to line 9?

I currently don't have a save at that the start of chapter 9, that I could give you to test. Maybe there are some saves somewhere in the game's thread?

Heading to bed and will check for your reply in a few hours. Maybe you can provide me your save file as well, so I can test it on my PC, to see if it's an issue with the save game.

Jun 27, 2023
Hey there. It's 2am here, so I'm a bit sleepy... But... This doesn't look like a problem with the mod or the game.
I tested the mod on the steam and public version and you also tested it with and without mod.

The problem seems to lie in Ren'Py somewhere not having the "retain" key in the Character "mc" and I'm not really sure how that came to happen. Did you perhaps load a savegame from "ages ago" so that the character object was made with a different Ren'Py version? Again, not really sure where or how this happened and not sure what Droosk could do about it. Does this also happen when you start a new game?

I attached a little file that might help. Can you extract it and place the files in the game folder?
The file is executes an after_load label and creates the two "mc" characters objects anew. Maybe that helps and fixes it?
If you still get the error, can you have a look if it moved to another line (this error says
File "game/chapter09/09_01.rpy", line 8
in the script. Maybe it moves to line 9?

I currently don't have a save at that the start of chapter 9, that I could give you to test. Maybe there are some saves somewhere in the game's thread?

Heading to bed and will check for your reply in a few hours. Maybe you can provide me your save file as well, so I can test it on my PC, to see if it's an issue with the save game.
I started a new game and no errors occurred; however, I'm not keen on beginning from the start at this time. If that's the only way, I will do it, but I don't remember all the important choices I made, so it will be a different playthrough for me. Anyway, I've attached the save and the newly-generated traceback file. Hope that helps you detect the issue. No rush; thank you for investigating.

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
I started a new game and no errors occurred; however, I'm not keen on beginning from the start at this time. If that's the only way, I will do it, but I don't remember all the important choices I made, so it will be a different playthrough for me. Anyway, I've attached the save and the newly-generated traceback file. Hope that helps you detect the issue. No rush; thank you for investigating.
Can you delete the zz_after_load.rpy and .rpyc again. After deleting the file your save works for me with no issues.

Jun 27, 2023
Can you delete the zz_after_load.rpy and .rpyc again. After deleting the file your save works for me with no issues.
Deleted the zz_after_load files; the "retain" error as originally noted returned. If the save works on your system, something else on mine must be working against me. I'll try playing chapter 8 again and will create a new save-point from that. I suppose that starting a completely new run-through from the chapter 9 installment isn't the worst that can happen. Perhaps my new choices will interest me more. Fortunately, your mod will give me an idea what to expect from those decisions.

Thanks for trying to help me.

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
Deleted the zz_after_load files; the "retain" error as originally noted returned. If the save works on your system, something else on mine must be working against me. I'll try playing chapter 8 again and will create a new save-point from that. I suppose that starting a completely new run-through from the chapter 9 installment isn't the worst that can happen. Perhaps my new choices will interest me more. Fortunately, your mod will give me an idea what to expect from those decisions.

Thanks for trying to help me.
You're more then welcome. Have fun!

• Red Heart
Reactions: ClassicGamer221

Woodstock_1983

Sep 16, 2020
Updated: 2024-09-13
Game: Between Two Worlds by Drooskati |
Modder: RiamMar | F95zone
Game Version: Chapters 9 Steam/Public | English, French
Steam version works with public version as well!
Downloads:

They should have a mod where you can change the relationship points. Also, away the follow both paths at the same time.

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
They should have a mod where you can change the relationship points. Also, away the follow both paths at the same time.
There's no real need to change the relationship points. The game moved on from the earlier character based point system to minor/major good and bad choices to an alignment system (calculated on the before taken minor and major good/bad choices. In my opinion, it is best to stay on one alignment path till the end and not swap between paths between updates. That's just asking for major story inconsitencies.
If there's a final build, where they maybe rework the earlier choices to use the same system as is used in the end, I can see me still implementing the "editor", maybe to fix slight choice mistakes or something like that, though a choice or two with bad alignment won't change the overall result in the calculations made for e.g. mermaids vs pirates path.