Big Brother on Mac

BlackieMamba

Apr 29, 2017
Can someone please break this down for me? I do not understand what to do, I've trialed and errored for an hour or so. Pictures or specific details not in computer lingo would be best. Thank You

BlackieMamba

Apr 29, 2017
I can confirm this works!
Hey, I tried doing this, and it says as I try to install the program I need XQuartz 2.7.7 or higher. My Wine works properly with other games, and I didn't see anybody else mention XQuartz. What is that?

First, download wine-staging from here:

It will install "Wine Staging.app" into your applications folder. Run that, and it will open a terminal window. cd to the directory that BB isn installed in, then type "wine BigBrother.exe".

Thanks, @rilakk !

Edit:
I've written a shell script to launch bb directly. It assumes you have Wine Staging.app in the same folder as BigBrother.exe. If you don't, change the path on the last line.

<path to BB> is the full path to the directory that contains BigBrother.exe (or relative to your home directory).

launch Terminal
cd to the directory you want your script in
cat << EOF >> bb
#!/bin/sh
cd <path to BB>
WINEDEBUG=-all ./Wine\ Staging.app/Contents/Resources/wine/bin/wine BigBrother.exe > /dev/null
EOF
chmod 755 bb

Now when you double click on bb, it will launch Terminal and fire up BB!

If this doesn't work, it's most likely a path issue. Double check that <path to BB> and the path to Wine Staging.app is correct.

MrBree

Jun 9, 2017
@TCMS why was this moved to solved? It still does not work. I am trying to run BB on Mac with wine, can anyone please help?
It doesn't work for you, but this is a much known and solved problem for Mac users.
Here's an easier suggestion for you: use one of the Wine GUI apps. Still Wine, but adds GUI features on top which make them much easier to handle.
I would recommend or for these purposes.

See the page from Wine itself for more suggestions.

If that all fails, you can always use VirtualBox or similar emulators.

Walt Dee

Apr 4, 2017
When I run Big Brother using Wine, I see this:
Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 5.40.37 PM.png

...regardless of the screen resolution chosen, whether windowed or not, and the window cannot be resized. Help!