Blame Paypal Not Patreon

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
I see so many people blaming Patreon for their ongoing censorship of NSFW creators and certain taboo content, but in reality it's Paypal who are to blame for these creators being purged because they seemingly don't want their system being used to fund this type of content anymore. There could also be an argument to be made about how Patreon should stand their ground and defend their creators like they did back in 2016 when they got Paypal to accept payments going through their system for NSFW creators, but, for whatever reason, Patreon don't seem to be putting up much of a fight this time.

Since Paypal is the biggest payment platform used by content creators, this ongoing purge and censorship is likely to continue unless another payment platform that's just as good and less prudish comes along, but unfortunately that's not very likely to happen any time soon.

freedom.call

Donor
Mar 8, 2018
Yeah. Kinda worrying that no new alternatives are popping up all over the place, that usually means it's not so easy.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Since Paypal is the biggest payment platform used by content creators, this ongoing purge and censorship is likely to continue unless another payment platform that's just as good and less prudish comes along, but unfortunately that's not very likely to happen any time soon.
It is neither Patreon nor Payplas crusade against NSFW content! It is their working-partners fault. Paypal rely on MasterCard, VISA, American Express etc.. Those are the fuckers.. not a small CEO of Patreon or Paypal.

US-banks have to follow US laws and also their shareholders. Those shareholders are a big group of certain organization or even single individuals. For example big hedge fonds like Blackrocks dictate the executive board, what they want and what they don't want.... And we are talking her about billions of dollars of venture capital ... capital small companies like Paypal and Patreon needs to expand their business.

Reactions: Neitha and HiEv

Apostate

Oct 14, 2017
Hi, I was going to make a post asking the following question but I decided to search the forums in case it had been asked already. Search is coming up negative so far but this is the closest thread I've found. Hope someone can help point me in the right direction. The question is simple:

What's the best way to make a one time donation to various games rather than become a subscriber?

Does Patreon allow this? I've never used them so don't know. Other sites? PayPal, or some other payment processing site? It doesn't seem very user friendly to do it this way, especially not for games no longer on Patreon.

Free games are fine, but I'd like to be able to toss a few bucks towards some of the creators without having to keep count of recurring subscriptions.

lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
Hi, I was going to make a post asking the following question but I decided to search the forums in case it had been asked already. Search is coming up negative so far but this is the closest thread I've found. Hope someone can help point me in the right direction. The question is simple:

What's the best way to make a one time donation to various games rather than become a subscriber?

Does Patreon allow this? I've never used them so don't know. Other sites? PayPal, or some other payment processing site? It doesn't seem very user friendly to do it this way, especially not for games no longer on Patreon.

Free games are fine, but I'd like to be able to toss a few bucks towards some of the creators without having to keep count of recurring subscriptions.
You can pledge any amount you want on Patreon, let's say the creator has $1, $5, $10 and $20 tiers, nothing stops you from pledging more than those amounts. Afterwards, just cancel your pledge.

Reactions: Apostate

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
You can not blame Paypal for what Patreon, or sites like it, did... Patreon as a business never meant to cater to the adult/erotic VN/Game Developer industry at all... Their original intentions were far more mundane in nature, trying to help Authors, Painters, Artists, Poets, Engineers, Tinkerers, Inventors, Streamers, etc etc by offering a site where people could donate money to help support their hobby... Adult content was an afterthought... But when the big boom of adult/erotic VN/Game creators began taking off several years back, mostly flocking to Patreon, the company took notice that many were including content that they did not want to be associated with... They had a more mundane reputation to keep... Hence the rule changes... Paypal had nothing to do with it...

Paypal is a highly publicly known payment handler, with shareholders and all that jazz... So of course they don't want their public image being smeared by being associated with content themes that are, for the most part, shunned by the majority of the public space... You can't blame them for that... It would be a hit to their bottom line if their reputation became tainted by such things... Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean they are this evil thing to be crushed... That is just how main stream companies function... To think otherwise is to go through life with blinders on...

When mainstream companies, like Paypal and Patreon and others, block a more extreme type of content, it is not out of spite, but to protect them from bad press and hits to their greater public image/reputations... They did not start their business' to cater to a tiny minority of taboo themed content creators...

And if this is being brought up due to Paypal and other sites blocking of donation sites like SubscribeStar, there are many reasons that occurred... That didn't necessarily have anything to do with censorship or even this niche industry... Regardless of how so many folks these days scream out that it's the only reason... Try looking up who owns SubscribeStar for one...

Zip