Blender - add surface option?

monkeyposter_7

Thirsty for my Guest
Game Developer
Nov 23, 2018
is it possible to add surface for different parts of a object in blender?

and by surface i mean the "surface" option in daz3d. so u can change texture of doors only and other parts

i know how to make it in daz3d by selecting geometry, but it would be faster to just set this up right away in blender before importing to daz3d

Untitled-1.jpg

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
Yes, in edit-mode (TAB-key) select the surfaces and assign them to a material. I know this works perfectly with blender 2.79 if exported to Collada (.dae) and imported back into DAZ. But I've only done it without textures so far. I just wanted my surfaces/material zones defined in Blender ... it's horrible to do it in DAZ. I've not tested this in the latest Blender 2.8 beta yet.
blender_.png

monkeyposter_7

Thirsty for my Guest
Game Developer
Nov 23, 2018
thank you! that's exactly what i was looking for

i have few more questions if u don't mind hehe

1. how to change reflection on surfaces? so that wood doesnt get them and metals do for example
2. my blender exported objects are mirrored (left-right) when i import in daz3d, is there a way to fix this?

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
thank you! that's exactly what i was looking for

i have few more questions if u don't mind hehe

1. how to change reflection on surfaces? so that wood doesnt get them and metals do for example
2. my blender exported objects are mirrored (left-right) when i import in daz3d, is there a way to fix this?
specularity or metalness can both make a surface more reflective, while roughnes makes it less reflective. just play around with those values till you get a nice effect.

As for reimporting i've never tried it so i cant help there.

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
1. in Blender? ... that get's complicated :
What renderer aka what material/shading model is used?
How do you port things back to DAZ?

a) for the default Blender-renderer I simply don't know, sorry ... never use that thing. But that's probably what must be used to port correctly :/

b) for a -based materials the reflection is set via the roughness-value. That's for Blenders 'Cycles'-renderer or 'IRay' in DAZ, that's the modern way to do materials professionally.

The DAZ Iray Uber shader is the equivalent/similar to the Cycles Principled BSDF shader.

I really doubt that PBR-Cycles materials will import back to DAZ which makes setting up these materials in Blender pointless.
Usually I only setup different colored materials in Blender so that I have the surfaces in DAZ. Then I convert everything to Iray Uber shaders. I don't think there is a way to import things from Blender directly with Iray Uber shaders. I do the material-assignment in Blender and the actual material-shader in DAZ so to speak.

!DISCLAIMER!: probably pointless:

Assuming you do what the "mainstream" does and use a PBR-material:
1. switch Blender to the 'Cycles Renderer'
2. switch Viewport Shading to 'Rendered'
3. create a material with a 'Principled BSDF' surface, (set Base Color to test)
4. assign material to surface in edit-mode
5. play with roughness-value, lower = more reflective
Maybe move the light near the surface to see the reflection.
For wood you'd want a high roughness value and metal a low value. It's the same for Iray Uber shaders. They follow the same principle.

This is how one would set it up for Blender. For realistic looking materials you'll need the 'Node Editor' in Blender and you'll have to dig yourself through the whole PBR-topic. If I remember correctly btw.
I've learned from this tutorial series:
blender cycles simple wood.png

2. Maybe mirror the object via negative scaling on an axis:
-select object
-type 's', then 'x' for the axis and '-1' enter

Reactions: monkeyposter_7

monkeyposter_7

Thirsty for my Guest
Game Developer
Nov 23, 2018
thank you very much for the detail guide!

btw: i made few objects in blender, but i need to post a render of window blinds i made. so proud of it lol
ps: i was playing around with shaders and i applied one to window glass, so its all bright now lol dont know how to turn it off. still much to learn

01.png

Reactions: f95zoneuser463

Amer127963

Jan 26, 2021
If one shader is too bright compare to the other, you can still use a "mix shader" and mix it with another one darker/less reflective !