VN Ren'Py Blurring the Walls [v0.5.2] [Torimiata]

4.60 star(s) 47 Votes

DanThaMan

Engaged Member
Jun 25, 2017
View attachment 4015505

New

Hey everyone!
No, this still isn't the release post - but I promise, it's simmering!

For context, the last countdown update took 17 days and still felt rushed. 0.5.0 and 0.5.2 were very different - that's the kind of rushed release I'm trying to avoid! Hence the extra care. But I understand the anticipation! ⏳

In hindsight, including both new and remastered content made it tricky to estimate timings. I know the post implied a quick release, but I have been a victim of the Ninety–ninety rule. The bulk of the work was indeed done when I posted - scenes were complete, but unrefined. However, between the new content and the old content, that "10%" is quite the chunk.

Some folks are worried about the remaster, but let me dismiss those fears. Tech has changed dramatically since the project started. For example, I used to draw a lot manually or use tricks to work around limitations and artifacts (like the bush's extra large size to help hide some weirdness in Terrace's back and hair). I want to use the new tech as that will help me create better artwork for the game. Additionally, some story/character elements changed (hello larger banana!), necessitating revisions to old content for consistency. A remaster was inevitable. And it's better to align aesthetics now than when the game is twice as large. Yes, tech will keep getting better, but anyone following the scene knows that the jump between the tech I was using and the current tech is gigantic.

I know it's taking a bit longer, but I am having fun with this update - it's closer to my original vision, and I hope that is something players will appreciate.

Thanks for your patience and support!

A fun fact: Did you know the 1st anniversary of the game will be on the 24th of this month?

(There's a second image but I don't have access)

EDIT: Bummer that there isn't a set release date yet but I have to say, the remasters look great. Hope this means that since the remastering is out of the way, that we get faster releases.
Judging from the examples given he has just made the scene less detailed and more generic.

hangmansjoke

Apr 27, 2024
ari's face is much worse here. instead of looking at MC she's staring off into space. also choosing to show more of terrace's back just emphasizes how disproportionately small his head is compared to his body. and there's now some depth-of-field weirdness with the background.

so far the reaction to these teasers has been pretty poor, is there a contingent of people who really like them?

mok135

Feb 27, 2018
ari's face is much worse here. instead of looking at MC she's staring off into space. also choosing to show more of terrace's back just emphasizes how disproportionately small his head is compared to his body. and there's now some depth-of-field weirdness with the background.

so far the reaction to these teasers has been pretty poor, is there a contingent of people who really like them?
Eh, I don't see it. Ari looks absolutely the same. She is just staring at Terrace instead of the mc.

The new cgs are good in my opinion. If I didn't have anything to compare them to I wouldn't have any problems with them at all. I don't think there was any point to the remaster but it won't make the game worse either.

mok135

Feb 27, 2018
People in this thread are acting waaaay too spoiled and whiny. There are some games on this side, high-rated too, which are upgraded maaaybe once a year, with barely any communication with the dev. And somehow barely anyone makes a noise about it. This game's update cycle isn't even close to being as bad as those games'.

I really think that Torimiata needs to stop making unnecessary teasers, ignore the whiners and purely focus on completing the update. The update will be ready when it will be ready.

Pr0GamerJohnny

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 7, 2022
People in this thread are acting waaaay too spoiled and whiny. There are some games on this side, high-rated too, which are upgraded maaaybe once a year, with barely any communication with the dev. And somehow barely anyone makes a noise about it. This game's update cycle isn't even close to being as bad as those games'.

I really think that Torimiata needs to stop making unnecessary teasers, ignore the whiners and purely focus on completing the update. The update will be ready when it will be ready.
As someone who's criticized him several times- I'd admit he's held to a higher standard than many other devs.....though that's probably a compliment.....people don't get riled up over games with zero potential, they just leave or ignore em.
No but the posts came from "I'm finalizing the game, need to check some stuff" to "I'm remastering the entire game" on release date. Sorry but that's just disrespectful.
Agreed 100%. Echoed the exact criticisms of my post on the topic. "align aesthetics"....bro, just give a concrete report on the status or dont say anything at all and keep at it.

hlfwaycrks

Aug 7, 2024
old one seems fine. just cz we played and liked the game overall looks. The developer could have just use new style for new updates only. But, may be he want to be consistent throughout the game. I just wish new content is coming with new update.
It's not just a remaster that's coming though..

syrup_96

Dec 5, 2020
Exactly. He could have remastered old stuff AFTER the new content released
Yeah but then the game would just look like a piece of shit with inconsistent art. The contents all already there, it's not going to magically disappear. People are just impatient.

snajones

Jan 1, 2018
I usually do not post much on this site, but I wanted to leave my two cents.

From what little I have seen of the "new" art, I much prefer the "old" art. However, my perspective is limited to what I've seen in this thread.
I tend to support projects I enjoy - and I was very much considering supporting this one, however, I am glad I did not pull that trigger.
I LOVE the game, but, delaying a release for 4? 5? 6? months while your paying customers are just endlessly given excuses, I can't support that. Although, I don't know if Tori has "paused" payments on Patreon until he releases something finally.

I think if you are asking for support on Patreon and have paying customers, you owe them more than just deciding to do a complete rebuild of the game.

I think it is fair for people to be upset. It is a fun/great game and we are all anxious to see what happens next.
The cynic in me wants to say that Tori knows the next update is highly anticipated - and used that opportunity to go on cruise control for a bit. But I have no knowledge or proof of that. It feels like we were finally at the point where there might be some actual NTS content - that wasn't just a dream or a fantasy - and that's when the delays hit.

As I said, I love the game and I want to see more - but I can totally understand people being frustrated with the delays.

Torimiata

Game Developer
Sep 24, 2023
it's been out for a week, we have all been playing it. the remaster is amazing. ari is a dude now and she pegs MC. tori added RPG elements and i made kento a healer. 10/10 update
No spoilers! But yes, it is true. I've been secretly working on the RPG mode all this time, only playtesting this version with my closest Discord followers. That's the real reason for the delays.

Every humiliating choice for Ayumi gives her +5 to her 'Tsundere' stat. And of course, the skimpier the outfit, the higher the AGI stat - it's science backed facts.

house_pool2.png

4.60 star(s) 47 Votes