VN Ren'Py Blurring the Walls [v0.5.2] [Torimiata]

4.60 star(s) 47 Votes

hlfwaycrks

Aug 7, 2024
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd rather have a well-made project that is what the dev wanted to make, and if he's doing it part-time, no wonder it's taking as long as it is... I will continue to patiently await the updates and see what's to come. He's making this game part time and it only released a year ago. I honestly thought it'd been in development hell for years with the responses I've witnessed. Keep at it and happy anniversary, Tori!

Fran00019

Apr 13, 2024
Nah but it's a joke right ? He really just did that ? Ok, he did not work on the update, said it.
Even the remaster version that not a singular human being asked for is under the 'aiming to release' bullshit.
Wasn't it to match the actual new update btw ? (you know the thing people payed you for the last 6 months?).
I'm sad for people who actually believe on discord and patreon he's telling them the truth. 6 months, 3 months baiting people on update release and now a random remaster.
(and we all know here that we're not getting the update anytime soon this remaster release will be the 'I did something' post for the next months).
What even happened to the final countdown post, that became 'I work on a remaster' 15 days later.
0.6.0 aiming to release on 2025...and you can bet people will say LET HIM COOK xd

hlfwaycrks

Aug 7, 2024
the simps are already in this thread playing defense, "me personally i love waiting, sometimes i prefer waiting to actually playing games, this kicks ass! yessss!" but you know they were expecting it to release today too lol
I wasn't expecting a release, you're right. I just think the dev should see something other than moans and groans when some people can be understanding and realistic given the dev is making a whole-ass game in his spare time and he wants it to be done right. That's all. I get where you're coming from 100%, it's not like I have no empathy. I just have a different perspective.

Pr0GamerJohnny

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 7, 2022
I wasn't expecting a release, you're right. I just think the dev should see something other than moans and groans when some people can be understanding and realistic given the dev is making a whole-ass game in his spare time and he wants it to be done right. That's all. I get where you're coming from 100%, it's not like I have no empathy. I just have a different perspective.
Yeah but this aint a hobby. Don't get me wrong, I could see it from your perspective 100% and would equally condemn the moans and groans (including myself!) if this were but a saturday afternoon woodworking proxy.....only one problem.....he's getting (ballpark) ~a grand a month to do so. If you're getting paid $1000 a month, expectations of production are extremely reasonable. I don't know why people persist in this masochistic practice, when I pay businesses money and they dont give me anything, I stop going. Just same as I'd expect to be fired if I collected a wage for months and months with no output.

hlfwaycrks

Aug 7, 2024
Yeah but this aint a hobby. Don't get me wrong, I could see it from your perspective 100% and would equally condemn the moans and groans (including myself!) if this were but a saturday afternoon woodworking proxy.....only one problem.....he's getting (ballpark) ~a grand a month to do so. If you're getting paid $1000 a month, expectations of production are extremely reasonable. I don't know why people persist in this masochistic practice, when I pay businesses money and they dont give me anything, I stop going. Just same as I'd expect to be fired if I collected a wage for months and months with no output.
I 100% am in agreement with you; perhaps it's because I'm not subscribed on Patreon that I feel this way (although, I am subbed to Netorase Phone and MNGF, even though I've only played a little bit of both. I am more contributing as a way of being a part of the communities with the anticipation of playing both eventually and seeing them grow), and I could definitely understand people getting upset for not getting anything for their subs. I've had the same thought before about modders, seems like a horrible thing to be a part of with everyone being upset about things not being kept up to date, etc. I definitely don't envy devs or modders, as much as I'd like to know how to do that stuff myself! Seriously, just to reiterate, I am not voicing support to condemn the people upset; I more just want Tori to see some semblance of support as I do believe he is trying to make something the right way, even if it's not the way people want it done.

Reactions: mase88 and jclosed

jclosed

Dec 3, 2019
I 100% am in agreement with you; perhaps it's because I'm not subscribed on Patreon that I feel this way (although, I am subbed to Netorase Phone and MNGF, even though I've only played a little bit of both. I am more contributing as a way of being a part of the communities with the anticipation of playing both eventually and seeing them grow), and I could definitely understand people getting upset for not getting anything for their subs. I've had the same thought before about modders, seems like a horrible thing to be a part of with everyone being upset about things not being kept up to date, etc. I definitely don't envy devs or modders, as much as I'd like to know how to do that stuff myself! Seriously, just to reiterate, I am not voicing support to condemn the people upset; I more just want Tori to see some semblance of support as I do believe he is trying to make something the right way, even if it's not the way people want it done.
Completely agree. There is a lot of work being done. Most people here underestimate the amount of work that has been done. It's all about QOL and improvement, and while that's not as "sexy", it gives a better quality for now and in the future. For now all that stuff is set in place, and it's time to add new content.
If there is no new content coming from after this new update, then it's time to get upset. But only for the Patreons. The people here must be glad to get something for free. I myself always live by the rule "If I get something completely for free, I have no right to complain". I can only politely suggest something, or request something, but in no way demand anything. Biting the hand that feeds you never ends well...

yonatan

May 8, 2018
This is sad.

To be honest I was kinda expecting not for the update itself but a concrete date for update 0.6.

I didn't know Tori is developing the game on offtime work, which kinda makes sense why it is taking so long and sometimes the lack of devs diary or concrete coments. Now that I know about the situation I don't mind waiting the time it's necessary for an update that satisfy Tori, or even replying the whole game even though I was hopping to skip since it is still fresh to me.

The sad situation is that I think this is gonna backfire him to a degree that Tori might lose interest in keeping the development (which I really hope won't happen). What I do not understand is that if you are aware that the remaster or the 0.6 are so far to be ready, why did Tori tease with countdown and cocky replies.

That said I really hope Tori keeps working on the game as it is one of the few games I really had enjoy playing.

Happy anniversary!

Reactions: hlfwaycrks

pirohiro

Feb 15, 2020
If I told my boss my work wasn't done because I was doing it in my spare time I would lose my job.

If I told him my work wasn't done because I was busy re-doing the work I'd already done, I would lose my job.

Fair play to Torimiata, he knows the required formula to get his patrons to re-subscribe for the notion of a release on the horizon. If he had said half a year ago that the next update would take this long, most would have unsubscribed. That is the kind of hustling that pays.

I am especially fond of him moving the goal posts so that the last release is officially the most recent mini-update with more changes to work already completed. Or announcing a final countdown to his patrons 2 months ago with the countdown officially being "choose a number". Or when shit really gets hot, hit the emergency button of dropping CG of a long awaited scene (BJ). And when even that passes, hit the next emergency button of straight up posting non-canon events just to have something to post. This man can stretch his patrons like a pizza maker with dough. And they will think they are getting an artisan Italian experience when they are actually at Domino's. Fair play. Looking forward to the next magic act.

hlfwaycrks

Aug 7, 2024
If I told my boss my work wasn't done because I was doing it in my spare time I would lose my job.

If I told him my work wasn't done because I was busy re-doing the work I'd already done, I would lose my job.

Fair play to Torimiata, he knows the required formula to get his patrons to re-subscribe for the notion of a release on the horizon. If he had said half a year ago that the next update would take this long, most would have unsubscribed. That is the kind of hustling that pays.

I am especially fond of him moving the goal posts so that the last release is officially the most recent mini-update with more changes to work already completed. Or announcing a final countdown to his patrons 2 months ago with the countdown officially being "choose a number". Or when shit really gets hot, hit the emergency button of dropping CG of a long awaited scene (BJ). And when even that passes, hit the next emergency button of straight up posting non-canon events just to have something to post. This man can stretch his patrons like a pizza maker with dough. And they will think they are getting an artisan Italian experience when they are actually at Domino's. Fair play. Looking forward to the next magic act.
You're attributing a metric shit load of malice to the dev... you're characterizing him as a cartoonish villain, everything save for the twisty mustache. He's not rug pulling. He's not abandoning the project. He's simply not living up to your expectations given the time and resources he has, and you're painting him out to be a sex-game-scamming terrorist lmao this is too much

hangmansjoke

Apr 27, 2024
separating the remaster and 0.6.0 this late into development says to me that the new chapter isn't even close. he admits himself in his message that he's been focusing on the remaster that nobody wants instead of the new chapter. reception to the news has been very poor even on discord.

hate to say i saw this coming but if you've followed this site for long enough, the path from dev slow down to abandonment is very well-established. with all the negativity in the community and obvious lack of inspiration on the dev's part, even if 0.6 comes out, its starting to feel like the last chapter

Pich168

Oct 9, 2022
for me i hope Dev will consider to Release the update fast not the remaster that community not asking for, and another thing i wish more and more dev decide to Create game in this NTS Genre so the Current Existing NTS Game DEV consider to polish and Focus more if he want to challenge in this NTS Market.

Torimiata

Game Developer
Sep 24, 2023
So many heated comments and folks twisting my words - I've explained more over on Discord if you're interested.

Funny thing is, some of you complaining about delays now are the same ones who said the last update was rushed. I remember your usernames from back then. Some of you are still blocked.

I know I could've communicated better, but I can't change the past - only move forward. Taking on both a remaster and a new update is a big task, but it needed to happen. The old tech was holding me back, and as scenes got more complex, it became a real headache. Spending over two weeks on a single CG isn't sustainable.

I've already gone over the technical reasons, so I won't repeat myself here.

I get it if you're not happy with the focus on the remaster - that's your opinion. But saying I'm lazy or not working isn't fair. There's a difference between not doing exactly what some people want and not working at all. If you're a supporter and really unhappy, like I've said before, I'm open to refunds.

pirohiro

Feb 15, 2020
So many heated comments and folks twisting my words - I've explained more over on Discord if you're interested.

Funny thing is, some of you complaining about delays now are the same ones who said the last update was rushed. I remember your usernames from back then. Some of you are still blocked.

I know I could've communicated better, but I can't change the past - only move forward. Taking on both a remaster and a new update is a big task, but it needed to happen. The old tech was holding me back, and as scenes got more complex, it became a real headache. Spending over two weeks on a single CG isn't sustainable.

I get it if you're not happy with the focus on the remaster - that's your opinion. But saying I'm lazy or not working isn't fair. There's a difference between not doing exactly what some people want and not working at all. If you're a supporter and really unhappy, like I've said before, I'm open to refunds.
Nobody is accusing you of not working. But working poorly is not an appropriate reason. You have serious workflow issues which remastering does not solve. Your issue is not one of quality. It is scale.

You need to scale down. Constantly going over your previous work in search of making it more efficient is not beneficial. Each update has multiple CGs with multiple minute variations. This is further multiplied by having two routes. You are correct that spending two weeks on a single CG isn't sustainable. But the correct answer is not reinventing the wheel to make it more round. It is spinning it fewer times so it does not fall off like it now has.

No efficiency gain from improving your artwork creation is faster than creating less artwork.

As art is what takes up the majority of time, less CGs with less variations is the answer. Progressing the story with less art is more progression than this current pace. This is the approach professional game developers in your situation would take. Whether you wish to is entirely your choice, but my advice is sincere.

a4asshole

Jul 10, 2024

Wow, Dev really cares about the community's opinion...
P.s: you carry on sir, we peasant spent lot of time to gossiping, since we do not have to pay taxes.
For those who do..I do not know...

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
For most devs game development is a hobby most won't ever be able to afford to work on their games full time and that includes Tori.

Reactions: hlfwaycrks
4.60 star(s) 47 Votes