Daz Blurry Hair renders with dForce hair?

vimto

Jan 15, 2018
DAZ noob here, just been playing around with render setups but I've noticed a reoccurring issue with hair rendering (especially dForce hairs) where the end result always comes out looking blurry, like motion blur or something: see my attached picture as an example. This happens regardless of whether camera DoF is toggled or left off.

Any idea where the issue lies and how to correct it?

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
dForce Soft Curls for Genesis 8 and Genesis 3
It's not like it's really blurry but how the shader is used (ain't no expert in the blended dual lobe shader tho). Make sure you push for a fair/decent number of iterations. You can reduce highlight weight and maybe also raise hair thickness a little (line start/end width (mm)). Not a huge fan of how those hairs are done tbh.

Reactions: osanaiko

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
The only surface option I saw related to opacity was Cutout Opacity, which is already set to 1
There are two sources of opacity. The first is an "opacity map." Hairs almost always use this, because they want to get more transparent as you get towards the end of the hair. The second is "Cutout Opacity," which essentially is multiplied by the opacity value in the map. So if a particular pixel in the map says "Opacity 0.6" and "Cutout opacity" is set to 0.5, you net out at 0.3.

As no__name said, more iterations will probably help some, as it will give DS more of a chance to diddle with those areas. Areas with transparency tend to be the last in the image to converge, as iRay needs to do a lot more calculations in that area due to both having to calculate the first (partially transparent) surface it hits and then figuring out more from what's behind it. dForce hair tends to be worse.

FYI, the way that hairs tend to be constructed (not including strand-based hairs) is as a set of "strips," each of which then have textures on them to make them look like hair. Think of painting a piece of cellophane with very fine stripes representing different strands of hair, and then arranging for some degree of transparency - particularly down near the ends. The strips are then arranged in an overlapping pattern to make it look like real hair. With dForce hairs, the strips tend to be much smaller, so that each of them can move more freely with respect to one another. (With non-dForce hair, the creator can use larger ones and sort of "layer them" manually, because he/she doesn't have to worry about them moving except in response to the morphs he/she creates. But for dForce to work, you have to have a lot of smaller strips. This tends to mean a lot more calculation for iRay (after the dForce-ing is done, I mean) because there tends to be many more layers to work through. As a result, dForce hairs tend to be much more render-intensive, and slower to converge.

vimto

Jan 15, 2018
Good to know, I will have a play around with opacity some more and see what I can get. Thank you both for the help!