VN - Ren'Py - Completed - Boat [v1.1.1] [Saberoge]

1. 5.00 star(s)

X_Machina

Man, I was not expecting this game. When I saw the main image and text that said that the assets were ripped from over a dozen eroges, my first thought was: "So is this someone's dream project to hack a bunch of their favorite assets together? How could this be any good?" And yet the reviews said otherwise, so I tried it out.

And I'm glad I did.

Boat is honestly one of my favorite parody games now. It's absurd due to its eroge-like plot, yet is cohesive with multiple different events tying into one another. It has characters from many different games and art-styles, yet gives all of them believable and enjoyable personalities that fit with the story. The writing is simple, competent, and doesn't skip out on the humor of everything.

Boat is just an amazing parody eroge. What more can I say?
  2. 5.00 star(s)

candyfucker123

I came for the boat but it sank so I stayed on an island. Being serious though, I love the unique endings and the time travel shenanigans. - Best girl is Bobbi haven't found endings with her besides feudal and friendship.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

Rex Blue

This game is way better than it has any right to be. Don't let the absurdity get in the way of... well... the absurdity I guess? The game is absolutely ridiculous, but in all the best ways. It's got a great story, great humor, great characters, and some wonderful repurposed assets.

My only complaint is that finding all the paths is very difficult without following a step by step guide. That said, it's a pretty minor issue in the scheme of things. It's definitely worth playing anyway.
  4. 4.00 star(s)

LightSwitch

I found this game while looking for a traditional Japanese-like visual novel eroge. In other words, hot 2D anime girls. I've been playing the gacha game Princess Connect and got in the mood for something similar, but lewd. So, I hop on F95, filter for 2D dating sims and voila!

I played the outdated unofficial mobile version running v1.0. I didn't notice any major issues while playing and understand that most of the patches according to the changelog since the initial release have been minor.

After starting, one of the first things I noticed is that the text can be a little hard to read. A transparent background option would have been nice. Not a big issue, the text was never UNreadable.

Comical and enjoyable writing. Poking fun at the teacher's butt showed me from the very beginning that the creator can both tease and appreciate their diverse mix of characters.

Despite the various ripped assets, it's pretty cohesive. The story feels like it matches the images.

The creator did a good job interweaving details throughout the different playthroughs, making it feel as if you are piecing together a larger whole from different points of view.

I don't know if 30+ endings are common in visual novels, but it can be a headache exploring them all. It's like trying to navigate a maze where some paths lead to dead ends, some lead to the same place, some are short while others are long, and you're constantly questioning which turn to make. Even the smallest trivial choice such as choosing whether or not to look at someone can result in a completely different outcome.

The music was a strange choice at times. One example, early in the game when you just board the boat and are looking out towards the water, it starts playing this hip-hop music that sounds like something out of a MEGALOBOX training montage, but while you're talking to a girl about her social media followers.

Not a fan of the quick sex scenes. It's like the opposite of blue balls if that makes any sense. There was no build up and they passed by so fast like a jump cut. Considering that this was intentional and the creator was going for more of a comical use of sex scenes, job well done I suppose, but it's not my preference.

As an intro to Japanese visual novels, this felt like a sample platter. The most experience I have with visual novels other than the 3DCG/sandbox varients you can find on this site like 'Milfy City', is 'Doki Doki Literature Club'. I came looking for something more in the traditional anime-style and I certainly got it. A whole mishmash of who knows what. Through playing this I found some characters and art styles that I like and I think I'm now a fan of Softhouse Chara. A lot of their games take place in the fantasy setting that I didn't know I was looking for and am interested in playing one of them, but not before exploring some more endings of BOAT.

There are SO many endings!
  5. 5.00 star(s)

Kuato

First thing first: I never wrote a review on this site in my life.

This game was this unique that made me do that.

You will play as as the usual protagonist of any h-game, horny as fuck, but Dom, is also funny as fuck ( thanks to the author ).

The dialogue may seems superficial, but if you try to read between the lines you will find a tons of eastereggs and a tons of meaning.

The charachters are true to themselfes, and I would say there's no charachter that is fully cliche or plain. The development is incredibly well done.

It was a pleasure to go to ending after ending, learning always something more about the world Dom is in.

This game reminded me Umineko when they cry, my favourite Visual novel.
    The settings is similar, breaking the fourth wall is similar, only the player will play the role of butler, not Dom, you, which is incredibly amusing.

Really, Kudos to the Author as this is a masterpiece.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

todoroki1

i didn't expect this game to be as funny as it is and maintain every other element so thoroughly like plot, sex and character development that makes this game a visual treat. Sexual scenes are pretty nice and feels worth it after the various choices, character develop like you wouldn't believe, for eg, if you decide to have sex with Bobbi she becomes a philosopher who hates technology and changes the world into feudalism while not doing so makes her appreciate technology even more as she becomes a nudist, or twitter billionaire or etc etc, this was one girl don't even get me started on Tracy or MJ or Mel or Ms. Weiss (best eveil waifu ever btw); the endings are especially amazing, the time travel concept is utilized beautifully and I played it over and over again to get all the endings. And oh is it hilarious, from meme reference to using songs and audio I least expected. The developer is an artist. Loved it, can't wait for more.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

potatofarmer138

Fantastic writing, great humor. Mashes up a decent amount of pop culture that you don't see coming. There's even an Eddie Izzard reference. I can't claim to be an expert in eroge/nukige but this game is uniquely good.
  8. 4.00 star(s)

Nighteyes11

Just finished all the routes and thoroughly enjoyed it. A big thanks to Jag for the comprehensive walkthrough, never would have completed it otherwise! Found the game to be very well written, with lots of humour, which is always a plus. On the negative side the sex scenes weren't very erotic but as the developer noted it was written more as a comedy with sex scenes than a sex game, so fair enough. If this was a first effort then really looking forward to what else the developer can come up with
  9. 5.00 star(s)

Doobeedoo

Honestly, it's both good for sex and also makes me laugh. A+ material, first game I've bothered rating. Also like... Surprisingly in-depth for what I thought would be a little one-person game. Still struggling to find even half the endings. Came back to the thread because I was looking for a walkthrough, though I'll try not to use it until I'm completely stuck.
  10. 5.00 star(s)

qweyn

This is the best sci fi erotic comedy that I know.
    The different endings are wildly different. Every choice you take changes the story. Usually quite dramatically. And all of the characters are written quite well. I even liked the meme spouting horndog of a MC which surprised me.

If you just want to beat your meat this is not the game for you. But if you want a interesting story and some laughs then 5/5 would recommend.
  11. 4.00 star(s)

Oshitari Azumi

Well it's certainly...a game...I'm not against games utilizing assets from other games, and if they're from eroges hey I'm down. But the story is very...unique...in what's probably the best comment I can give about the game. I think it's just that I couldn't really latch myself onto the story throughout my first playthrough, but the story made almost no sense, but then again that's what's advertised so I shouldn't really fault it for that. Otherwise, a very unique experience as long as you're open-minded about it.
  12. 5.00 star(s)

Archer

Excellent game. Very unique and engaging.
    The game is a choose your own adventure style that is meant to be replayed multiple times. Each path gives you a little bit more of the story about what might have happened. I enjoy this style, but I can't say it will be for everyone.
    Why You'll Like It
    Great Story
    Lots of different game paths
    Hilarious
    Why You Might Like It
    Sex Scenes, while frequent, are short.
    The developer always puts humor first, which also undercuts some of the sex scenes.
    It's an exploration, not a logic game. There is no clear set of right answers, but more play with different options to experience different outcomes.
  13. 5.00 star(s)

Niahrleak

this was a surprise
    very well done game, the assets used blended very well
    pretty nice story, it was fun and interesting
    a good take on time travel and a lot of unexpected results
    so many endings omg

thanks for the game
  14. 4.00 star(s)

LewdTheLolis

This is a really great game with a lot of content straight from the get go. Rarely do you get games posted tha are already Completed but this one is, and potential to add more. The game requires multiple playthroughs as that is the main driving force of the game, so parts of it can feel repetitive. Being comprised of assets taken from a bunch of other games one of my main worries is how the characters were going to be written and the sex was going to be integrated into the story. I believe that the developer did a great job in writing around the sex scenes and making them seem like they belong.

This brings me to the dialogue next, there is a lot of dialogue in this game and it is very well written with a lot of in-jokes and references that make it worth playing. It is funny and witty and all the characters have their distinct traits and stick to them. You can tell that the developer spend time and care making the characters fit in to the story he wanted to write.

The actual sex scenes are good also and like I said being pulled from different games they might seem a bit out of place at time but for the most part they fit in nicely, just like Dom does into them. Being taken from Japanese games that does mean that there will be censorhip in place but that's not really a turn-off for me and I feel that the game still works great.

The biggest downside for me is the fact that as I mentioned, this is meant to be played multiple times over and over to get all the endings. This does mean that you will see the beginning part multiple times and you will have to skip through the dialog again and again to get to the first choice and get put into a route. This isn't all that bad but repetitive playthroughs all in one go means that you have to see it over and over, so a button to possibly start a new playthrough at the first decision would be great to have.

Overall, it made me laugh, it made me cum, hell it even made me cry at times. An amazing first offering from the developer and I hope they keep adding more content to it as the game is open-ended and more routes and stories can be added into it without really breaking any of the story I believe.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

Muityek

Wow, this game is a lot better than I expected it to be. Like a LOT. I played through 8 endings before I felt like I had a decent grasp of what was going on. I really enjoyed that each run left me feeling like I'd figured something out and knew what I needed to do next time to get a different result. Unlike a lot of Eroges the consequences for choices are often not immediate, and there are so many different ways to navigate the story. There is more game in this game than in most visual novel.

The writing is idiosyncratic, but amusing. The cast is over the top, but I find most of them charming. There is so much to like here.

I do have some criticisms. The biggest one is that the writing in the sex scenes is not super engaging. In most scenes the actual narration is little more than just "Then we had sex. Hooray." Basically just 2-4 lines of dialogue for each CG. There are at least a boatload (sorry) of scenes, so lack of content isn't the problem. It would just be nice to stop and smell the roses every now and then.

My second issue is that because the game rewards multiple playthroughs so strongly it is a little unfortunate to not have a "skip to next choice" button. Maybe it is there and didn't find it because I'm dumb, but while skipping through doesn't take a huge amount of time it is irritating having to warp through the stuff you've seen four times to get to the branch you are after. Also because multiple playthroughs are needed to have all the information required to work out plot, during your first game the results of certain actions seems unfair and your ending arbitrary, which I imagine could turn some people off of the game.

Overall though; Great game!