Branching Node Editor

DoctorPervic

Game Developer
Aug 13, 2019
Hi, I was wondering if anyone here knows of a piece of software that has nodes with notes so that I can create a branching visual diagram of my story.

for example I have a guy character named Mark and he has a choice to kiss his girlfriend or ignore her.

so visually on the editor I would have Mark in Blue and then there would be 2 lines coming from Mark to the 2 different paths he can take.
Path one. Kiss the Girl. In RED
Path two Ignore the Girl. In ORANGE

So visually I can create my whole story on the branching software so I have a visual representation to look at to know how the story unfolds if you take this path or that path. It would make creating my visual novel so much easier to know what to write where and when.

I know the easiest way but maybe not the most storage wise idea would be to create a very large document in Photoshop and then just draw boxes around text with lines linking cretin events. However that can get quite heavy in file size.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

DoctorPervic

Game Developer
Aug 13, 2019
Awesome. after looking at Visio I found one that you can use for free. its at lucidchart.com
thanks so much for that great info. Much appreciated.

Edit: sorry not for free. only basic is free. but stops after a cretin point.

Last edited:

DoctorPervic

Game Developer
Aug 13, 2019
Ok better option is

completely free to use. :)

SlaveStates

Oct 31, 2018
Been looking for the same thing. I ended up using LO_Calc. I just start my story on about column M and split the story down into new columns. I can always add text notes and highlight in any color as well. and free