Unreal Engine Broken reflections in Unreal Engine games on Linux through Wine

maankamara

Sep 16, 2017
Screenshot_2023-10-11_13-14-17.png

Posting here in hopes somebody else has encountered and solved the same issue.

As shown in the image above, the Unreal Engine games I run otherwise work but reflecting surfaces are broken. The image is blurred, in certain angles it does not reflect the actor at all and the picture is not even mirrored like you would expect, as you can see the character's hands behind her back also in the mirror rather than her front side that is facing the mirror.

Same issue repeats in all Unreal Engine games I've tested (UE4 and UE5, I believe). I assume the issue is probably not complicated, but I've ran out of ideas. I'm on Manjaro with nvidia RTX 4070ti. I launch the games through Lutris using either Wine or Proton with exactly same results.

Sometimes the image is mirrored, but still blurred and not drawing everything as expected:
Screenshot_2023-10-11_14-01-59.png

EDIT: Actually, it even seems like it is mostly the wall mirror items with issues as some reflection types work more or less as expected. Here you can see the entire street, the sun and the car reflected on shiny pants without issues that I notice:
Screenshot_2023-10-11_14-16-08.png

Last edited:

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
Some questions I have for you,

1. Do you have sphere reflection capture actor near the mirror
2. UE uses screen space reflection for performance reasons. It might give you undesired results so this should be modify if you want better reflection

Here's a quick video that explains the two I mention above, and how to go about the settings.

If the video isn't suffice, I suggest looking for the tag "UE high quality reflections" as it requires you to modify a few settings to get the result you want.

• Hey there
Reactions: maankamara

maankamara

Sep 16, 2017
Some questions I have for you,

1. Do you have sphere reflection capture actor near the mirror
2. UE uses screen space reflection for performance reasons. It might give you undesired results so this should be modify if you want better reflection

Here's a quick video that explains the two I mention above, and how to go about the settings.

If the video isn't suffice, I suggest looking for the tag "UE high quality reflections" as it requires you to modify a few settings to get the result you want.
Thanks for taking time to reply. This video does certainly give me insight about why some reflection might work while another doesn't, if they are quite literally different things inside the games. My problem, however, is not on the development side. I'm simply trying out these games that are developed for Windows operating system on my Linux machine and I noticed that almost none of the mirrors work as expected. Yet, I'm pretty sure the mirrors actually work if ran on a Windows machine so it shouldn't even be a development issue.

The problem is most certainly in the compatibility layer, I'm asking if somebody happens to already know the solution. Something gets lost on the way from Windows instructions, through Wine, onto my screen.

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
Ah, I skipped over the title. I assume you have tried this on a windows machine? If not can I get the name of these games and do some checks.

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
So I tested the game, and I also got the same results as you. It's most likely not on your end, but the developer. Like my previous post, they might not have reflection capture in the scene or have opted not to have them in for performance reasons.

maankamara

Sep 16, 2017
So I tested the game, and I also got the same results as you. It's most likely not on your end, but the developer. Like my previous post, they might not have reflection capture in the scene or have opted not to have them in for performance reasons.
Well thank you so much for testing it out! Linux has come a long way for gaming, but I admit I still totally assumed the issue was on my end, especially when the same bug came up in multiple titles, but I suppose they've all followed same instructions or something.

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
The only possible solution I have to make sure that it really isn't on your end. Is to find a AAA title, or a UE game floating on itch.io that has screen shots of actual reflection, and test against that. If you are running games off of here, most likely the dev's aren't utilizing reflection captures. The 2nd thing that just came across are the pants. They are showing reflection, so that means that it's definitly not on your end. If it was than the pants wouldn't be reflecting.