Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Your bug is caused because you are trying to translate the game with renpy tools; unfortunately such tools are not compatible with BK, if you stay with native language (english) the bug won't occur anymore.

Reactions: lumberjack

drwho1234

Oct 10, 2019
Thank you, Kite80, for your response.

I downloaded a translated version but soon deleted that. Then I download 0.15b English version, without any translation, but the bug kept showing. If in this case, how do I shut down the translation? Thanks again.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
I gave a look at renpy documentation, if your renpy still attempts to translate BK there must be a turned on setting in BK/renpy/translation folder; unfortunately I haven't found it yet, but it's clear that your renpy engine is still trying to translate. As soon as I find how to make it stop I'll write the solution here.

Aberfort

Oct 11, 2019
Hey guys, I am not sure if this is the place to ask, but maybe someone will be willing to help me. I am getting this error during the farm resolves. If you spam rollback then eventually it just goes on, usually it takes from 5 to 15 tries. I sould probably mention that I was playing the 0.14 version of the game until today, but then I downloaded the 15b, copy-pasted my girl packs there, deleted the 14 version, but for some reason I still have saves from 14 showing in 15b. Maybe this has something to do with it.
I've tried different girls, and all of them gave me this error, I've also tried using stock images in the game content menu, but this didn't do anything either.
The error:

While running game code:
File "game/BKendday.rpy", line 550, in script
python:
File "game/BKendday.rpy", line 570, in <module>
farm_events += (farm.programs[girl].resolve("holding"))
File "game/BKfarm.rpy", line 831, in resolve
pic = girl.get_pic(farm_holding_tags[self.holding], attempts=attempts, not_tags=all_sex_acts+["group"])
File "game/BKgirlclass.rpy", line 764, in get_pic
if "portrait" not in (tags + and_tags + not_tags):
TypeError: can only concatenate tuple (not "RevertableList") to tuple

Aberfort

Oct 11, 2019
Hey guys, I am not sure if this is the place to ask, but maybe someone will be willing to help me. I am getting this error during the farm resolves. If you spam rollback then eventually it just goes on, usually it takes from 5 to 15 tries. I sould probably mention that I was playing the 0.14 version of the game until today, but then I downloaded the 15b, copy-pasted my girl packs there, deleted the 14 version, but for some reason I still have saves from 14 showing in 15b. Maybe this has something to do with it.
I've tried different girls, and all of them gave me this error, I've also tried using stock images in the game content menu, but this didn't do anything either.
The error:

While running game code:
File "game/BKendday.rpy", line 550, in script
python:
File "game/BKendday.rpy", line 570, in <module>
farm_events += (farm.programs[girl].resolve("holding"))
File "game/BKfarm.rpy", line 831, in resolve
pic = girl.get_pic(farm_holding_tags[self.holding], attempts=attempts, not_tags=all_sex_acts+["group"])
File "game/BKgirlclass.rpy", line 764, in get_pic
if "portrait" not in (tags + and_tags + not_tags):
TypeError: can only concatenate tuple (not "RevertableList") to tuple
Edit: nevermind, I've installed the last patch by goldo on the previous page and it resolved all my crashes, didn't have one in 2 hours, you really should pin it up at the main page IMO.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Unfortunately the patch hasn't been added by mods last time I asked for an update, neither I can do it by myself since I have no edit permissions here. But don't worry, this will be solved after 0.2 will be released, meanwhile anyone having issues just needs to ask for help, other players and I will always try to help.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Minor issue but it seems like advertising is mostly useless. I do crank it up to maximum for a day or 2 when I first move to a new chapter, but after that it seems like the most efficient amount of girls to put on advertising is somewhere around 0. After you've built your rep up a little there is hardly any difference between zero advertising and maximum other than the amount of money you're wasting on it.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
It's not an issue, ads become useless when MC reputation is high or there are a lot of girls with ads bonus perk.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
For the latest patch you need 0.15b vanilla; then you get the patch and put files into /game folder, overwrite existing files. I also suggest to delete every .rpyc file inside that folder.

Haematite

Mar 2, 2018
When you train girls for sex sometimes you get bonus stats to other things like constitution, libido, or beauty. What triggers this and is there any way to make it more likely?

What does the charm stat actually do when training girls?

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Well, the results of training depend on how big is training success; there are a lot of things inside the functions which calculate it, but the main thing is MC stats - the higher, the better.

Girl's Charm is the stat which defines her successes (or failures) while working as waitress or service whoring.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Is there any reason to chat up the girls that are scattered around the different places on the map? I've never gotten far enough with any of them to do anything but chat/joke/etc. Are they the same girls in the slave market or are they separate? Can you actually recruit them?

Haematite

Mar 2, 2018
Well, the results of training depend on how big is training success; there are a lot of things inside the functions which calculate it, but the main thing is MC stats - the higher, the better.
Thank you. Also, thank you for all your work organizing things.

Girl's Charm is the stat which defines her successes (or failures) while working as waitress or service whoring.
Sorry, I meant to ask what the MC charm stat does. Can you tell me what the MC stats actually do? It's hard to tell just from playing the game. Here's what I think they do.

Speed is easy. It gives extra action points which is amazing.

Magic is fairly easy. It adds to magic training success chance, which is... helpful, I guess. I don't do magic training often because it is very expensive. It also adds to mana, which would be more helpful if there was a good way to get spells. I haven't found one yet.

Strength adds to security, I think, but only if you have AP left, which I never do so I've always just ignored it.

I can't tell if MC charm has any effect at all.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
You got the point for spirit and strength, they do what you figured out; spells are available for every class, clearly wizard has a wide selection compared to trader and warrior, you need to level up in order to unlock spells and powers more and more powerful.
MC stats also affect how many resources you gather while harvesting them in town.

Now let's talk about charm: it is probably the most important stat, since it affects every interaction with any girl, slave or free; it affects most of normal trainings, especially obedience; it allows MC to sell and buy stuff for better prices. Never underestimate this stat, whether you chose a warrior, a wizard or a trader.

About the free girls: you can recruit them, but only after a long effort: you need to raise their love high enough that they will ask for your help for their troubles, obviously our generous MC will offer them to become their slaves and gain money in his brothel; the only difference at that point is they can't be sold, only dismissed, but for the rest MC can train them and have them work like any other slave.

Reactions: khumak

Haematite

Mar 2, 2018
When you train girls for sex sometimes you get bonus stats to other things like constitution, libido, or beauty. What triggers this and is there any way to make it more likely?
Dug through the code. This is handled in BKclasses and it looks like it's completely random. Every act is different but the most typical setup is a d6 roll and anything above a 4 nets some sort of stat bonus. MC stats are completely irrelevant.

Interestingly, the random statups you get while chatting are influenced by charm, (d6+charm, needs 9 or better)

Now let's talk about charm: it is probably the most important stat, since it affects every interaction with any girl, slave or free; it affects most of normal trainings, especially obedience; it allows MC to sell and buy stuff for better prices. Never underestimate this stat, whether you chose a warrior, a wizard or a trader.
Holy cow. Dug into some of the code and you weren't kidding. No wonder the game tooltips are so vague. It touches tons of stuff and I'm sure there's some stuff I didn't find. I've no idea how you could make this at all clear in-game.
Charm for sure impacts:
  • Influences results of MC reactions to girl chat options
  • Increases all girl stat gains from MC interactions
  • Unlocking girl background story
  • Unlocking girl personality (personality is incredibly important so figuring it out helps a lot - need to talk to them a lot about likes, etc to do this

There's a lot of really cool details in there. A ton of work was done to make the classes feel different. It's really impressive.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Yup, girl class is so much complex that you'd rather see anything like that in any indie object oriented code language games. Everything made to make girls as much real as possible. Btw, personality is not unlocked, MC interactions help discover it; personality is decidet at the same moment each girl class istance is created, right after traits (which influence the final choice of personality).

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Something I'm running into a lot in all of my playthroughs is that it seems like the girls gain skills MUCH faster than the maximums can be increased. It's pretty common for my girls to level up and all of their skills are already maxed out so I can't assign any of the pts. Seems like either they're gaining skills too fast or the maximums are not high enough.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
If you train them a lot and they level up slowly at the same time, it may happen, especially when MC has high charm

drwho1234

Oct 10, 2019
Unfortunately the patch hasn't been added by mods last time I asked for an update, neither I can do it by myself since I have no edit permissions here. But don't worry, this will be solved after 0.2 will be released, meanwhile anyone having issues just needs to ask for help, other players and I will always try to help.
Thank you for your effort. I tried to unzip everything on the other computer and transfer all the files with USB. Magically, it worked, still don't know why though.

Many pics of my girls are not my type, so I replaced many of them with the comic pages. As the game processed, I just found out quite a few of them will never show up because advanced training is not allowed for the sex type without a fixation. Does that mean I have to sell her, buy and train her again? Thanks.

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes