Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes
May 16, 2017
Ok, I got the downloads from all the 'official' sources. I've deleted the whole game for the umpteenth time, and I've reinstalled everything from scratch. I have tried every patch and workaround I can find, and the game is still just as, if not more, broken than my first attempt.

At this point, I'm declaring it unsalvageable. Glad it's working for some of you, but this isn't worth the frustration for me anymore. Which stinks. It's a fun game.

vadi9203

Aug 2, 2019
Ok, I got the downloads from all the 'official' sources. I've deleted the whole game for the umpteenth time, and I've reinstalled everything from scratch. I have tried every patch and workaround I can find, and the game is still just as, if not more, broken than my first attempt.

At this point, I'm declaring it unsalvageable. Glad it's working for some of you, but this isn't worth the frustration for me anymore. Which stinks. It's a fun game.
I already posted a completly patched version. just put some girlpack into the girls folder. After you started up the game click on the GirlPacks menu update it. Then click on the GirlPack Mix check it if you have any girls in there. And the game should just run fine. (It's good if you know that you need atleast 1 girl without a _Bk.ini if you dont have much girl pack becuse it will give you an error that it's cant make duplicates for the free girls in the city and it's give you an endless error)
sadasdfa.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Hryme and Misty

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Nice to see the official version move to the 2.0 version. Won't have time to try it again til the weekend.

May 16, 2017
Nope. Still just as broken. I've got a pretty expansive girl pack roster, and I ran it through the packer. No dice. Added _BK.ini files to each that was missing one. Still broken. The girls simply do not exist, and I'm still getting nonstop errors.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
...I'm declaring it unsalvageable. Glad it's working for some of you, but this isn't worth the frustration for me anymore.
...I'm still getting nonstop errors.
Given that virtually everyone else can get the game to work, the issue must be with you. Maybe not with you as a user/individual, but still.

Post your error traceback, we can take a look and see if we can diagnose what you're doing wrong or whether there's a deeper issue.

Reactions: DuniX

arum

Jun 8, 2018
nope same here: nonstop errors, doesn't recognise the girls, win 10

edit: clearing out all the old saves worked! thanks

Last edited:

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
The more we need an actual error report with a traceback of the first error, not just what are basically rumours. You don't debug rumours. :cry: Big companies with dedicated QA throw up their hands at that point.

Reactions: DuniX
Feb 24, 2019
"Well, he's not the only one. as an unofficial tester ( i test shit whenever I have time) Ive been having issues with theis new version of Bk as well which is unfortunate because I love the game :)

"Well..had some time to test your new version of BK and gotta say I like the idea that you dnt make anything unless your girls actually does well. However once I got a girl to the point that she could work as a whore I would run into errors during the "End Day" phase, afterwards if I'd ignore the error it would slow the game and make more errors occur when the program doesnt respond and when trying to save..was going to save an error but the game crashed.. tried this initially on another girl but made a new start when i started getting errors"

Ive been chating with Kite abit privately. I will keep attempting whatever I can to get things to work.

Edit: Followed your instructions vadi.. before even starting after character creation.. how do I fix this?

1633649610334.png

Last edited:

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Sigh. Again, if there are no specific errors reported and others can run the game okay, it points to either mistakes on your part or something peculiar about your setup. So reporting 'run into errors' and 'more errors' doesn't help anyone. Not you, not the beta testing, not other players.

Post these errors either here or on HHS, this way Goldo or other helpful people can check what exactly is wrong and hopefully solve the issue.

Edit: The error you posted is from a bad _BK.ini. Track down Scathach, edit or remove her .ini.

May 16, 2017
Given that virtually everyone else can get the game to work, the issue must be with you. Maybe not with you as a user/individual, but still.

Post your error traceback, we can take a look and see if we can diagnose what you're doing wrong or whether there's a deeper issue.

So before anything else, this always pops up:

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 309, in script call
    call expression "before_main_menu"
  File "game/BKevents.rpy", line 109, in script
    if not persistent.girl_mix["default"]:
  File "game/BKevents.rpy", line 109, in <module>
KeyError: u'default'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 309, in script call
    call expression "before_main_menu"
  File "game/BKevents.rpy", line 109, in script
  File "E:\Archive\Program Files\BroKing\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1832, in execute
    if renpy.python.py_eval(condition):
  File "E:\Archive\Program Files\BroKing\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2059, in py_eval
    return py_eval_bytecode(code, globals, locals)
  File "E:\Archive\Program Files\BroKing\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2052, in py_eval_bytecode
    return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)
  File "game/BKevents.rpy", line 109, in <module>

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.5.606
Brothel King 0.2 v210826
Thu Oct 07 18:42:29 2021
When I start a new game, the game breaks the same, but if I skip the intro text flashes up in the corner nonstop:
removing default from game mixes

If I even so much as hover over girls:
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/BKstart.rpy", line 100, in script call
    call choose_difficulty()
  File "game/BKevents.rpy", line 342, in script
    $ r = ui.interact()
  File "game/BKevents.rpy", line 342, in <module>
    $ r = ui.interact()
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 5569, in execute
    screen quick_start():
    screen quick_start():
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 5575, in execute
    vbox xalign 0.5 yalign 0.5 xsize int(0.95*config.screen_width):
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 5593, in execute
    frame xpadding 20 ypadding 20 xfill True ysize int(0.8*config.screen_height):
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 5594, in execute
    has vbox xfill True spacing 20
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 5595, in execute
    if panel == "MC":
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 5696, in execute
    vbox spacing 20 xalign 0.05:
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 5701, in execute
    hbox spacing 30 xfill True xalign 0.05:
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 5723, in execute
    $ selected_girlpacks = get_selected_girlpacks(persistent.game_mixes)
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 5723, in <module>
  File "game/BKfunctions.rpy", line 156, in get_selected_girlpacks
    girlpacks += [gp for gp in persistent.girl_mix[mix] if gp not in girlpacks]

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/BKstart.rpy", line 100, in script call
    call choose_difficulty()
  File "game/BKevents.rpy", line 342, in script
    $ r = ui.interact()
  File "E:\Archive\Program Files\BroKing\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 914, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "E:\Archive\Program Files\BroKing\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2028, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/BKevents.rpy", line 342, in <module>
    $ r = ui.interact()
  File "E:\Archive\Program Files\BroKing\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\ui.py", line 297, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "E:\Archive\Program Files\BroKing\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2702, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "E:\Archive\Program Files\BroKing\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3094, in interact_core
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "E:\Archive\Program Files\BroKing\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 541, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback, seen)
  File "E:\Archive\Program Files\BroKing\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 541, in visit_all
  File "E:\Archive\Program Files\BroKing\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 430, in visit_all
    callback(self)
  File "E:\Archive\Program Files\BroKing\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3094, in <lambda>
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "E:\Archive\Program Files\BroKing\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 440, in per_interact
    self.update()
  File "E:\Archive\Program Files\BroKing\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 625, in update
    self.screen.function(**self.scope)
    screen quick_start():
    screen quick_start():
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 5575, in execute
    vbox xalign 0.5 yalign 0.5 xsize int(0.95*config.screen_width):
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 5593, in execute
    frame xpadding 20 ypadding 20 xfill True ysize int(0.8*config.screen_height):
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 5594, in execute
    has vbox xfill True spacing 20
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 5595, in execute
    if panel == "MC":
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 5696, in execute
    vbox spacing 20 xalign 0.05:
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 5701, in execute
    hbox spacing 30 xfill True xalign 0.05:
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 5723, in execute
  File "game/BKscreens.rpy", line 5723, in <module>
  File "game/BKfunctions.rpy", line 156, in get_selected_girlpacks
    girlpacks += [gp for gp in persistent.girl_mix[mix] if gp not in girlpacks]

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.5.606
Brothel King 0.2 v210826
Thu Oct 07 18:44:50 2021

I have experience with coding, so I can troubleshoot some issues. Follow the path, but I'm not only unfamiliar with Renpy and Python, but all that just looks like pure gobledegook. I imagine there's nothing wrong with my files, since I'm using the same copy as everyone else too, so I'm not sure file manipulation is the answer, but that doesn't leave me with a whole lot.

It could be an issue with the girl packs, but I still get the launch issue with an empty folder. I know the game detects the girls because it can do pack updates, but then it can't read them. It's very likely a lot of them are deprecated formats, but I'm confident at least a handful are quite update and so there shouldn't be any issue. Even setting the girl options to hide improper packs doesn't negate the error.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
The explanation and answers are .

There are two easy solutions: either delete your 'persistent' data by nuking both saves folders (in the game directory and under Appdata), or just consoling 'persistent.girl_mix["default"] = []'. I think the issue has been discussed in this thread here, too.

I have experience with coding... all that just looks like pure gobledegook.
Most of it is usually indeed pointless. The majority of the time, it's the last line that tells you exactly what went wrong and where. Of course, not knowing how the game or indeed Python work can sometimes leave you scratching your head...

Mee&Mee

Apr 23, 2020
I tried to place the girls on the right folder, run the game, but I cannot see them inside, there is no picture

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I tried to place the girls on the right folder, run the game, but I cannot see them inside, there is no picture
What does 'no picture' even mean? The game isn't displaying any images at all? Girls exist, but have the 'no image' image? No image at all? No girls at all? No ability to add girls to a girl mix?

If you're not cut out to be a beta tester and are unable or unwilling to make useful reports, wait a few weeks. Goldo should be through the obvious errors by then, and we can probably call the 0.2 release an actual release.

Aila

Jul 10, 2018
Возможное решение проблем с девушками. Установите игру на совместимость с Win XP.
У меня старый комп и проблем с девушками не наблюдается. Проблемы появляются когда я набираю 1000 монет и игра начинает тормозить, а при попытке сохранения ,она зависает на несколько минут.А так как автосохранения происходят каждый день , то и зависания становятся кошмаром игры.
Possible solution to problems with girls. Install the game to be compatible with Win XP.
I have an old computer and problems with girls are not observed. Problems appear when I collect 1000 coins and the game starts to slow down, and when I try to save, it freezes for several minutes. And since autosaves happen every day, freezes become a nightmare for the game.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Aila's solution is probably just a very roundabout way of removing old persistent data from play.

As to saving delays, these are indeed rather annoying, even on a moderately okay machine. A month or so ago I just gave up and made a 'disable autosave' option for my own fork. I also recall a time when at least my fork lacked autosaves altogether, and I had to make a hack to get them back before the Ren'Py version update.

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes