Tool Browser extension for filtering games with less than X stars

skwada

Feb 13, 2020
I wrote a browser extension that hides ads and lets you hide any games on the latest updates page that have a rating less than X, where X is a number you can set. I made the extension because I prefer to sort by likes (games with more likes tend to better) but games with less than 4 stars are usually dogshit regardless of how many likes they have so this a feature I always wanted. Here's a picture where I used the extension to filter any games with < 4.5 stars
1651613379156.png

Note: the files and extension do not directly mention f95zone anywhere so the chance of someone else who uses the same computer figuring out what it does are very low, especially because you manually install it instead of downloading from the extension store. Also, there are no viruses - the code is right there for everyone to see (only ~35 lines) and edit so if I tried to upload a virus, someone would call me out :p

Installation Instructions (the extension only works on the Chrome browser):
1. Download ext.7z and extract; you can rename the directory to be anything as long as the files are together. You can't move the folder after step 5 is done so if you want to move it, do it at this step.
2. Type chrome://extensions into the search bar at the top
3. Enable "Developer Mode" by clicking the button on the top right
4. Click "Load unpacked" at the top left corner to get a folder selection popup
5. Navigate to the folder where you saved the files and once you're there, click "Select Folder" or equivalent
6. The extension should pop up in your menu now, if you want it to work in incognito mode then click "Details" and then the 5th option from the bottom is "Allow in Incognito"

Finally, reload f95 to start using. By default, the extension hides any unrated games or games with rating less than 4. If you want to tweak this, follow the instructions below.

How to change the filter threshold, show unrated games, and fix any performance issues:

1. Open run.js with some kind of text editor
2. Near the top of the file, you will see "const threshold = 4;", any games with a rating less than this value are
automatically deleted. You can replace the 4 with any valid numeric value; examples: "const threshold = 4.5;" or "const threshold = 3;"
3. Near the top of the file, you will see "const showUnratedPosts = false;" - if you want to see games that have no rating, you can change false to true like "const showUnratedPosts = true;"
4. If you notice that the extension causes lag (I have a 7 year old laptop and it runs perfectly fine btw) then you can edit the "delay" variable near the top of the file in the same manner as above. Just change the value to be 1000 or if that's still laggy, even bigger numbers. This will make the extension itself go slower though
5. Save the file and then back in the chrome://extensions page, you will see a reload button near the bottom right of the extension widget - hit that button and then reload f95

[Optional] How to change the name and description of your extension:
1. Open manifest.json with some kind of text editor
2. Edit the parts that say 'A Name' and 'Some kind of description'
3. Back in the chrome://extensions page, you will see a reload button near the bottom right of the extension widget - hit that button