Building a game? Need to understand why your renders take forever? You should read this.

Otherguy2012

Aug 21, 2021

Read this article and you will have a much better understanding of the process you are using.
Once you have this understanding you will be able to make educated choices about how to improve the tools you are using.

Yes,I am going to eventually build a game that will be posted here. I have made a choice to more fully understand the process though.
I see developers struggling with render times,bug issues,delays,and other issues. If I(you)understand the cause of the issues I(we,you) can lessen them.

Hope this helps.It will not get you new hardware,but maybe what you need is a simple 3d software upgrade.
I am not selling anything.I am actually trying out some 3d software programs myself.In the article is shows how a few simple changes can take a render from 23 minutes to 19 seconds.

So this thread is simply to help others understand the process of building.

If you have advice or tips for hardware or software(for rendering) please feel free to share it here.
I will be using Ren'py.

Reactions: Casper52

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I have a rule, when there's more ads than text, I call the article bullshit whatever it can say. And on this site, there's an ad every two lines...

Before everything, the computer you'll buy depend of the method you'll use for the rendering. And since people on the scene mostly use Daz Studio and IRay, what is needed is a NVidia card, preferably last generation with around 10Go VRAM ; not that previous generation are bad, or that you can't do something with less VRAM.

But the most important point to save time while rendering isn't the choice of the computer, but the optimization of the scene and the configuration of the rendering engine. Limit the number of bounce made by the rays, or remove unseen surfaces, lower the textures, and if you can the number of polygons, on far objects, and so on.
You'll save more time if you firstly learn how to correctly configure your scenes and the rendering engine, than if you just buy a 3090 instead of a 3080.
Oh and, by the way, 99% of the time it's the scene building that take time, not really the rendering. You'll pass your day building ten scenes and, unless you've a really old computer or totally none optimized scenes, the eight hours you'll pass sleeping will be more than enough for them to be fully rendered. This whatever the software you'll choose in the end.

Reactions: Choo-choo

BlurQ

Jan 3, 2022
That article isn't helpful at all, tbf. DAZ's tutorials on youtube are much better than this. Also, who still CPU renders in 2022? :sneaky:

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Oh and, by the way, 99% of the time it's the scene building that take time, not really the rendering. You'll pass your day building ten scenes and, unless you've a really old computer or totally none optimized scenes, the eight hours you'll pass sleeping will be more than enough for them to be fully rendered. This whatever the software you'll choose in the end.
This is 1000% correct. Unless you have a potato GPU or are trying to CPU render, the majority of the time is spent with scene setup (environment selection and customisation, figure posing, tweaking tweaking tweaking the minor details to fix poke-through etc) and post-work.

If you really want to get stuck in a side-street, decide that you can't find an environment or prop that you like and decide to 3d-model and texture your own assets!

TDoddery

Apr 28, 2020
I CPU render as well. I find it's OK and fast enough for me. The trick is to have a multi core CPU and be sure to assign appropriate "core affinity" in the Iray settings. Then just make sure there's plenty of system RAM. I get by on 16Gb.

It's equally true though, setting up the scenes properly takes way longer than rendering the images.