Buying a project/Patreon account

Lookass

Aug 12, 2017
Greetings everyone.

So I was thinking about stepping up from an adult game player to an adult game developer. Me and my GF have been messing around with Unity for about one year now to learn stuff so we have some experience and a game prototype which is almost ready to be published. It's not easy to start everything from scratch so perhaps there is someone who would like to sell their own unfinished project with/or a Patreon account with at least a couple of supporters? Preferred payment method is PayPal.

Thanks!

Reactions: Saki_Sliz and kshyk

rangaru

Jun 25, 2017
was probably one of the games with the biggest potential. Maybe you should try to contact the dev.

Lookass

Aug 12, 2017
was probably one of the games with the biggest potential. Maybe you should try to contact the dev.
Thanks! Recommendations of abandoned projects are more than welcome!

kshyk

Mar 18, 2018
Thanks! Recommendations of abandoned projects are more than welcome!
How about this one then:

(that's one of my favourite along with Coceter Chronicles[!!!] - thanks to female protag and lesbian tag ) :)

Lookass

Aug 12, 2017
How about this one then:

(that's one of my favourite along with Coceter Chronicles[!!!] - thanks to female protag and lesbian tag ) :)
Sadly, the Patreon page is no longer available, don't know how to contact the developer :(

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
It's not easy to start everything from scratch so perhaps there is someone who would like to sell their own unfinished project [...]
While I understand your motives, it's not how you'll succeed.
A game, it's a story before being lines of code. Have you seen many book writers going around and asking to buy an unfinished book ? No, because it wouldn't works.
To make a game, you need to develop its story, and if it's not yours, how can you do it ? You'll not know the unspoken motives of the characters, nor their personality, so you can't write accurate dialogs, nor have accurate reactions. Because of this, you'll also don't really know from where the story come. And like you don't know the story tracks, you'll also don't know where the story is going.
The chances that you'll have all this when buying a project are extremely low. If the author was dedicated enough to know all this, have precisely built the story board and the characters, and therefore have enough material to give you so you can appropriate the story, he wouldn't have abandoned the project this easily.
So, in the end you'll end abandoning the project yourself, because you struggle with it and quickly discover that you aren't in capacity to write something coherent enough to effectively interest players.

Reactions: TCMS

vnAdult

Dec 11, 2018
Greetings everyone.

So I was thinking about stepping up from an adult game player to an adult game developer. Me and my GF have been messing around with Unity for about one year now to learn stuff so we have some experience and a game prototype which is almost ready to be published. It's not easy to start everything from scratch so perhaps there is someone who would like to sell their own unfinished project with/or a Patreon account with at least a couple of supporters? Preferred payment method is PayPal.

Thanks!
I think it can work. But it will probably not be cheap.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
If you want to get into development, but not with your own stuff first, I recommend:

1. Modding, just pick an existing game and mod, it should be a good way to test and hone your skills without the pressure of a self-published game. Also, easier to get people to know you and build some good name.

2. Make a small demo game, if you're not confident, try starting with a very small complete game, it may be original or a parody of another one, the idea is to do some work without going right to your main project.

You could buy a game I guess, but you can't buy the developer and most games that were abandoned had a good reason for it, so have that in mind.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Is it starting the project that is the challenge, starting from scratch, as you call it, or the initial idea that is challenging. I love to start from nothing (in terms of code, not so much in terms of art, it is such a pain and is slow, still trying to improve my methods), but nailing down an idea or just sticking to an idea is certainly challenging for my short attention span.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I dont think he is going to finish an unfinished game from someone else, but to get supporters/money.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
While I understand your motives, it's not how you'll succeed.
A game, it's a story before being lines of code. Have you seen many book writers going around and asking to buy an unfinished book ? No, because it wouldn't works.
To make a game, you need to develop its story, and if it's not yours, how can you do it ? You'll not know the unspoken motives of the characters, nor their personality, so you can't write accurate dialogs, nor have accurate reactions. Because of this, you'll also don't really know from where the story come. And like you don't know the story tracks, you'll also don't know where the story is going.
The chances that you'll have all this when buying a project are extremely low. If the author was dedicated enough to know all this, have precisely built the story board and the characters, and therefore have enough material to give you so you can appropriate the story, he wouldn't have abandoned the project this easily.
So, in the end you'll end abandoning the project yourself, because you struggle with it and quickly discover that you aren't in capacity to write something coherent enough to effectively interest players.
In the days before self-publishing, kindle, amazon, etc. That's exactly how it worked. Writers sold their unfinished story to a publisher. You say yourself, that games are based on a story, so you recognize that the story comes first, before the game.
But then you imply that someone out there might start making a game without a story, and it would be impossible for a publisher to finish the game. If you opened a patreon with no story, more power to you, but usually a game doesn't get started without the story. Turning a story into a game usually starts with a GDD which serves as the initial game copyright and blueprint, also complete befor the game is started.

Once upon a time I had the unpleasant job, of reviewing potential game ideas that people wanted to sell to a game studio. More often than not this meant showing people that their great game idea already existed, crushing their hopes and dreams. Occasionally a brilliant idea would come along, and even in it's roughest form you could tell it was a diamond.

Adult Games get abandoned for all sorts of reasons, usually financial, or family, not because the story is unfinished, but because the work is unfinished.

It sounds like OP is interested in becoming a game publisher. If they have the resources to finish a project, and someone has a project with one foot in the grave, it could be win-win.

DillionWhore

Sep 30, 2018
OP..
Just make sure you are able to continue the same quality, style and atmosphere of the game you buy.

Jan 24, 2019
So you're basically looking to scam a creator with Paypal chargeback, scam paypiggies or get scammed by Patreon account recovery?

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
559061.png

Those who see everyone as as thief, or a scammer, are thieves and scammers themselves, or they have been conditioned to believe that the sun could stop shining tomorrow, so why bother getting out of bed. Those who say "you will fail" have no confidence in themselves.

The economy is climbing, there has never been a better time to start your own business. Good luck with your games.
Thanks to those before you, thousands of artists, programmers, very enthusiastic developer communities, and corporations... almost all of the tools you need, are available for free, to get you started. The only thing stopping you, is you.

Reactions: 8873672413434

Lookass

Aug 12, 2017
Thank you all for your feedback, ideas and tips. I really appreciate that.

My plan was to get a page with a few supporters to avoid that scammy new dev look and provide courage to other people to subscribe("Hmm nobody has subscribed yet, maybe I will wait too..." vs "Oh hey, somebody else has subscribed, why should I not?"). But before that the page of course will be remade under my brand and the first free game will be published to get 100% trust and interest. The development of the unfinished project would not be resumed but added in plans to be started from the beginning since most of the current abandoned projects are just Ren'py visual novel combinations with DAZ models and I'm aiming for something more advanced like The Twist or even Wild Life.

Please let me know if I'm wrong about all of that, I just received a deal and I'm considering taking it. The game I mentioned previously is also almost ready to be published, here's a little teaser ;)

1552685325742.png

Reactions: polywog

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Thank you all for your feedback, ideas and tips. I really appreciate that.

My plan was to get a page with a few supporters to avoid that scammy new dev look and provide courage to other people to subscribe("Hmm nobody has subscribed yet, maybe I will wait too..." vs "Oh hey, somebody else has subscribed, why should I not?"). But before that the page of course will be remade under my brand and the first free game will be published to get 100% trust and interest. The development of the unfinished project would not be resumed but added in plans to be started from the beginning since most of the current abandoned projects are just Ren'py visual novel combinations with DAZ models and I'm aiming for something more advanced like The Twist or even Wild Life.
I understand your logic and intent, but if you take this approach, just don't be surprised if some or all of the existing subscribers turn around and unsubscribe. After all, they signed up to support the previous artist and game(s) - they may discover that what you're producing is not to their tastes, or they may have other reasons not to want to support you even though they supported him/her.

I'm not condemning the idea - just warning you that you might not get what you want out of it. If you're producing quality content, I suspect you wouldn't have a problem attracting patrons "from scratch." After all, if it's good enough to keep supporting, it's good enough to sign up to support to begin with. Otherwise, you're basically relying on people who forgot that they signed up as patrons as, well, "bait."

Reactions: anne O'nymous

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
I understand your logic and intent, but if you take this approach, just don't be surprised if some or all of the existing subscribers turn around and unsubscribe. After all, they signed up to support the previous artist and game(s) - they may discover that what you're producing is not to their tastes, or they may have other reasons not to want to support you even though they supported him/her.

I'm not condemning the idea - just warning you that you might not get what you want out of it. If you're producing quality content, I suspect you wouldn't have a problem attracting patrons "from scratch." After all, if it's good enough to keep supporting, it's good enough to sign up to support to begin with. Otherwise, you're basically relying on people who forgot that they signed up as patrons as, well, "bait."

A Patreon account is not limited to one game, you can add 5 or 10. When you've done something before, it's easy to do it again, but for some, the first step is the hardest.

"Begin - to begin is half the work, let half still remain; again begin this, and thou wilt have finished." - Marcus Aurelius