Ren'Py - By Another Name [v0.031] [Thornwell studios]

1. 4.00 star(s)

mrdhrrflu

This is a really good game, it's truly worth to try, it's important to mention it's a history based VN, although it's not tagged as such, if you are in search of only sexy times you'll be sorely disappointed.
    I really appreciate that the Dev took the time to create a well written novel, and you can tell it's being proofread before release which it seems to be a big ask for the majority of games around here.
    My issue is that I'm losing interest due this endless dialogues without anything, main story based, to cling on and on top of that the over the line banter and forced jokes on every single line gets tiresome over time. I understand that the author is trying to build characters relationship and all but if feels that it just doesn't move anywhere.
    Overall the game is well done.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

Zoinkers32

A largely promising first release. Quite a considerable amount of content for a first release too, if that's what you're looking for. Onto the game itself:

Story: You're joining a football - not soccer, sue me - team, and get appointed as co-captain. Simple enough, but what i didn't expect was for me to actually feel joy when the Lions (team's name) won a match, and sorrow when they lost - gave me a weird sense of patriotism for a fictional team for a sport that I honestly never cared for.
    And there's the whole 'Chekov's gun key' situation seems like i'd be brought up again, and i'm hopeful to see the outcome.

Characters: When writing a story, it is vital that the characters are done right. This is even a point brought up in an event with one of the characters. The characters that are here feel... human. They feel as if they serve a purpose, with their distinct personalities. Sure some can feel 'token' but I feel as if there is room for growth and development.

Grammer/language: The dev is clearly a native English speaker - or has a proofreader worth their salt. I can't remember seeing any grammar inconsistencies, miss-spellings, or anything of the sort. It was well written, not just grammar wise but the colloquialism of conversation was a breath of fresh air, from many VN's that use over the top - advanced language, that people wouldn't use in day to day conversations. If i had a pound for every time i'd read the word "moreover" in other pieces of writing. Seriously, has anyone ever used the word 'moreover' when speaking to someone before?

The naughty stuff: It's there. Somewhat. It's a first release, so i didn't expect to see every character with their legs behind their heads, and that's a good thing. Any good character needs thorough introductions before the time comes for their inevitable introduction to the MC's jackhammer. Obligatory dream sequence was present, as is a staple, though forgiveness points are awarded as the character in the dream made me laugh quite a few times.

I'm rambling. Anyway, tl;dr for those that don't want to read my short novel:
    Promising first release with a decent bit of content to start. Characters with development, personalities and room for growth. Grammar is largely perfect with great writing to go along with it. *bonk* scenes will follow in future updates, character/relationship building (rightly so) needs to happen first.

...makes me wonder why i didn't just start off with that.