Can a quality VN be made with AI art in it's current state?

onmyown23

Sep 30, 2020
I'm a writer, musician, and programmer.

I SUCK at drawing - can't do it to save my life. I've messed around extensively with DAZ, but it's too tedious and I honestly am not a fan of 3d models.

So when Stable Diffusion actually started producing pretty sweet images and I could download it on my computer, I was sold. RevAnimated produces some beautiful women, even when you train your own Loras and get consistent characters. Loras are so effective in fact that my VN is based on time travel, since you can specify age and the Lora is great at adapting the character to the age.

The current limitations of AI is clothing consistency, sex scenes, and animations (give it another 6 months though and I'm sure that will be ironed out).

I've written only the intro to my VN with just as many hours put into the images as the writing, but I'm questioning it now because AI art doesn't seem to have a good reputation and I'm wondering if it's even worth it.

What are your thoughts on AI art?

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Can a quality VN be made with AI art in it's current state?
Can it be done with quality? Yes, but you would most likely need someone that is capable of drawing on a similar level than the AI to fix and edit all inconsistencies as well as filling the gaps of content the AI doesn't want to draw for you.

So it would be a question of is it worth it? Because those artists are probably going to spend a lot of time fixing issues and learning the AI style to keep things consistent, but at what point would be easier to just draw everything from scratch with a simpler visual style than the one the AI is creating?

I'm not sure, I guess we will see what the future brings us.

Reactions: Jaike

Allard

Game Developer
May 20, 2018
AI isn't supposed (at least for now) to create something perfect from scratch. It is supposed to assist you in your creative process. And it can be fantastic to get inspiration/ideas out of it. A talented artist can outsource a lot of work with AI, because he can edit and polish the images created. Instead of doing everything by himself, he gets a really nice foundation in half, if not less of the time he would need by doing everything from scratch.

Someone who doesn't have that skill and solely relies on the outcome of the AI generator, can't produce a coherent game. The images may be beautiful, but they would lack any character/soul. So no, I don't think you can create a quality VN just using AI art. Yet.

InfiniTales

Aug 11, 2021
Can it be done fast and effortlessly (as many people seem to think)?

No. If you're at the point of creating your own Lora's, then you already have a good idea of what's possible, what the challenges are. And that, if you're dedicated to quality, just as much time seeps into it as drawing/3D rendering.

I think that, with some creative thinking and keeping story and general design within the current limitations of A.I., there should be some pretty good options. Even today.

Do I personally think that, using A.I., a VN can be made of equal quality as 80+% of the ones here? With equal investment of time and effort, yes. However, the perception of quality seems to be biased at the moment. The typical (current) A.I. flaws seem to attract criticisms that to me are way out of proportion with (non-existent) criticisms on flaws of, eg. Daz3D renders.

I doubt that'll last. This is a transition period.

To quote the guys from Corridor Crew (FX Youtube channel)

"Let's talk about traditional 2D animation, cartoons. The most creatively liberated medium is also the least democratized."

It's not only animation, static 2D art as well. Until now, it was only available to people with a very specific skillset. A.I. is turning that upside down.

As a writer and programmer, you have creative and tech skills, both pretty essential for A.I. generation. I say stick to it and most of all: enjoy the options now available to you!

InfiniTales

Aug 11, 2021
About visual coherence...

A game like Hentai High School comes to mind, where the images are not coherent at all (from way before A.I. images came along). Granted, that visual inconsistency was something I liked least of all about it, but I still spent quite a few hours with it and importantly: had fun.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
About visual coherence...

A game like Hentai High School comes to mind, where the images are not coherent at all (from way before A.I. images came along). Granted, that visual inconsistency was something I liked least of all about it, but I still spent quite a few hours with it and importantly: had fun.
Sure but that game looks like that because it uses stolen assets from other games and artists, that explains the inconsistencies seen in HHS.

And I agree with you those games can also be enjoyed, I just wouldn't claim they are "quality".