Daz Can anyone recommend me a genesis 8 figure/character that comes with pbrskin textures? (Not 8.1, as this is a standard 8.1 feature)

left1000

Sep 13, 2020
Can anyone recommend me a genesis 8 figure/character that comes with pbrskin textures? (Not 8.1, as this is a standard 8.1 feature.) It's trivially easy to find pbrskin character's for 8.1 so I don't need that, but I know even though genesis 8 doesn't come with pbrskin, there's no reason 3rd parties can't just make it happen. But I'm having trouble finding any asset pack where they've done so.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Can anyone recommend me a genesis 8 figure/character that comes with pbrskin textures? (Not 8.1, as this is a standard 8.1 feature.) It's trivially easy to find pbrskin character's for 8.1 so I don't need that, but I know even though genesis 8 doesn't come with pbrskin, there's no reason 3rd parties can't just make it happen. But I'm having trouble finding any asset pack where they've done so.
Because they haven't. PBR skin textures were introduced with 8.1. There are ways to make 8.1 maps/textures work with G8 figures via UV maps, but depending on how knowledgable you are with Daz, it might be tricky.

Reactions: left1000

left1000

Sep 13, 2020
Because they haven't. PBR skin textures were introduced with 8.1. There are ways to make 8.1 maps/textures work with G8 figures via UV maps, but depending on how knowledgable you are with Daz, it might be tricky.

Yeah, I guess, I'd seen wp guru and itroy do videos on it, showing it was possible, but too much effort for me to want to engage in myself.

I just assumed if there were videos covering it being possible that after 2 years someone would've gotten under way with it.

But I guess the fact I never saw it appear should've been a clue it wouldn't appear. It just seems odd that so many asset packs come with both genesis8 and genesis8.1 figures included that one of those creators would've back ported the textures they already made for the 8.1 figure to the 8 figure.

I guess it's just annoying to me that randomly sometimes when I'm not thinking about it my expression poses break horrifically and I can't figure out why (Which seems to me to be the main feature of genesis 8.1, although I do admit pbrskin looks a lot better than uberiray to me.)

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I guess it's just annoying to me that randomly sometimes when I'm not thinking about it my expression poses break horrifically and I can't figure out why (Which seems to me to be the main feature of genesis 8.1, although I do admit pbrskin looks a lot better than uberiray to me.)
If you use dials (which you should be using, imo.), there's a way around using G8 expressions on 8.1. I'm not sure if 8.1 expressions work on G8 characters, but I'd assume not. There are some G8 skins out there that are near PBR-level quality, though. Raiya, bluejaunte, and Mousso off the top of my head are some. Many like iSourceTextures, not personally a fan, but I'm clearly just one person lol.

From the forums:

This has been discussed in other threads, but for the casual reader, finding it would be difficult. So I wanted to create a thread that would be quick for people to find, so they could get the information they need easily.

Genesis 8.1 loads with all your morphs and expressions from Genesis 8 automatically (as long as you are using version 4.15[+]). But many of your old expressions will not work on 8.1. This is because these old expressions rely on certain basic pose controls that come with Genesis 8. Genesis 8.1 comes with "dummy files" that block those basic pose controls from loading into your new figure. Without access to these basic pose controls, your old expressions will do nothing to Genesis 8.1

But the "fix" is easy and safe!

Step 1: Navigate to My Library/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Female 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D

Step 2: Right-click the Base Pose Head folder (Or alternatively the FACS folder in the same location) and select "Send to zip"

Step 3: Right-click the Expressions folder (or the FACS Expressions folder in the same location) and select "Send to zip. " Now you should have two new zip files in the folder.

Step 4: Delete the unzipped Base Pose Head and Expressions folders. Daz will no longer be able to read the "dummy" files and the basic facial pose controls for Genesis 8 female will load with your Genesis 8.1 female figure.

Step 5: Repeat steps 1-4 for the males, this time going to My Library/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 8/Male 8_1/Morphs/Daz 3D instead.

That's it! You're all done!

If you want to restore these files for any reason, it is as easy as right-clicking the zip files and selecting "extract here".

Removing these files and then later returning them will not harm your saved scenes. The only thing that will happen is that the expression will no longer load on your figure's face and you will have to give them a new one.

I hope this helps and I hope you have a great day!

Update 2 (8/22/2021): Looks like Daz renamed the folders, so I added the new names to the instructions. I tested this and FACS does still work after removing the mentioned folders.

Update: It has been pointed out that G8 and G8.1 have a couple of files with the same user-side labels (these are the names of the properties that show in your parameters tab). The internal names are different though. What this means is that both expressions designed for G8.1 and expressions made for G8 will work properly. Daz won't get them confused when you try to use things that depend on them. But the because the user side labels are exactly the same, Daz will only show one of these property sliders in your parameters. Instead of having ready access to both the smile for G8 and the smile for G8.1, you will have easy access to only one. Same for the frown.

To be clear: Your expressions will work and you will still have a smile parameter and a frown parameter. But you won't have easy access to both smiles and both frowns.

It is possible to get both smiles and frowns to show in G8.1 by changing the user side labels. You can find some information on how to do this , but I have not tried these methods and so I can't say how easy they are, or how complete the instructions are. I will update this thread if I get more complete instructions on this.

Reactions: left1000

left1000

Sep 13, 2020
If you use dials (which you should be using, imo.), there's a way around using G8 expressions on 8.1. I'm not sure if 8.1 expressions work on G8 characters, but I'd assume not. There are some G8 skins out there that are near PBR-level quality, though. Raiya, bluejaunte, and Mousso off the top of my head are some. Many like iSourceTextures, not personally a fan, but I'm clearly just one person lol.

From the forums:

Okay so mindblown. I asked a dumb question, but I got an answer that totally fixes my problem! Thanks.

Reactions: MissFortune