Daz Can I use just an Eyeball from a figure some how?

poioiu

Mar 5, 2018
I'm trying to use just an eyeball, or any other individual body part by itself. Think like a giant floating eye in the sky or an disembodied hand crawling on the floor.... whatever. So far I've fried Unparenting the part, hiding all the other body parts, and then just scaling the part i need really big. The hiding and scaling methods work but suck to implement and are just very klunky to work with. There's gotta be a simple way to do this, no?

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Simple google search brought up , not sure how well it'll work for your needs, though. The s seems on this Daz forum post seems like a reasonable option, as well.

Alternatively, you can hide and scale and then save as a character preset. Not sure if it'll load just the eyeball when you load it it into another scene but it's worth a shot.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I'm trying to use just an eyeball, or any other individual body part by itself. Think like a giant floating eye in the sky or an disembodied hand crawling on the floor.... whatever. So far I've fried Unparenting the part, hiding all the other body parts, and then just scaling the part i need really big. The hiding and scaling methods work but suck to implement and are just very klunky to work with. There's gotta be a simple way to do this, no?
For the eyeball, one thing that occurs to me is that you could potentially export the character as an OBJ (giving you just the mesh), and then use Blender or something to edit out all the stuff that isn't an eyeball, then import the eyeball OBJ and re-apply the texture to it. (The UV map should stay unaltered.) Of course, the texture may not cover the back of the eye.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
For the eyeball, one thing that occurs to me is that you could potentially export the character as an OBJ (giving you just the mesh), and then use Blender or something to edit out all the stuff that isn't an eyeball, then import the eyeball OBJ and re-apply the texture to it. (The UV map should stay unaltered.) Of course, the texture may not cover the back of the eye.
I just did that with 3dsMax but blender would do exactly the same
eye1.png

Thats just a random eyes texture applied to it back in DAZ but it would be easy to make better And yeah you are right, there is no texture on the back of the eye.

poioiu

Mar 5, 2018
Thanks everybody. incase any body else needs it:

In Daz Studio, figures are different from props. They're not just geometry, they have rigging and data hierarchies binding everything together.

You need to go to Edit -> Figure -> Rigging -> Convert Figure to Prop. That will strip the rigging and turn it into an ordinary mesh.

Then, enable the Geometry editor. Open the Tool Settings pane and ensure you have polygon selection chosen. Right-click the viewport, and go to Geometry Selection -> Select By -> Surfaces. Pick a surface that isn't part of the eyeball. Then right-click and go to Geometry Editing -> Delete Selected Polygons. Do that until everything but the eyeball is deleted.

Finally, enable the Joint editor. Move the center point to the back of the eyeball and the end point to the front. Again, use the Tool Settings pane to ensure they're aligned on the axes. Then right-click the viewport and choose Memorize -> Memorize Rigging.

Now, just scale it up and you should have a giant floating eye. Since the material zones are still intact, you should be able to swap out eyeball materials like normal.