Can someone explain what daz3d genesis 9 means for a noob?

rcool

May 13, 2021
Hi I wanted to start creating assets for a game but I stumbled upon genesis 9. Is it just a new version of the models.? Is there a major difference in quality ?

Can I create a game using models from genesis 9 and 8. Are clothes cross compatible between both models?

Should I start with genesis 9 or genesis 8 ?

Thanks.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
So far there is absolutely no incentive to use Genesis 9 if you rendering with Daz3D.
It uses the same shader as 8.1, slightly improved UVs, mesh & rig and female & male use the same mesh.
That's about it I think?

There should be g8<->g9 converter for clothes in few days/weeks.
Skins gonna be more problematic.

Start with whatever you prefer.

Reactions: mickydoo

ZonesIntruder

Jun 23, 2022
I tell you... start from Genesis 9. I said that by experience. Having too many options when you start learning a new tool always ends up working against your progress. it takes you over, increasing your urge to collect and do more than you can handle. And that's the main reason. The other reason, and not a less important one, starting with the latest newest resource or in case of my work with Unreal Engine 5 to which I switched immediately allow to not loose you in the gap. First you can stay ahead of others who, procrastinating the deal with the new wild beast to tame, have to reduce the gap with whoever didn't the same and decided to tame the wild beast instead.
Second, you're "learning by doing", which means your skills evolve with the evolution of the new tool and of the latest newest features or range of items that new tool provides you. What also happens is that problem solving will become part of your skillset which is, in my opinion, the most important aspect of such an approach.

This is my very personal opinion, of course, but in 35+ years of professional life I think I've learnt a thing or two, including which mistakes I'd have better avoided when I had the chance to do things right and those I managed to evade. In any case... do as you feel better for yourself. The approach I suggested is a bold, sometime aggressive, but in the long run always pays off. if you wanna be more cautious because that's how you are then go for that approach instead.
Ultimately by the way... the solution is quite often in choosing the hybrid position and work on both. Just don't be afraid of being bold when is needed or when the proper opportunity comes.

Enjoy your new creative journey and b cool!

PS: a lot does also the rig you're using. That's an element that helps a lot in taking a decision. if your computer can't handle some of the crazy stuff we might encounter with some items, the choice of avoiding them is inevitable.

Reactions: rcool

shinji123

Sep 16, 2017
I tell you... start from Genesis 9. I said that by experience. Having too many options when you start learning a new tool always ends up working against your progress. it takes you over, increasing your urge to collect and do more than you can handle. And that's the main reason. The other reason, and not a less important one, starting with the latest newest resource or in case of my work with Unreal Engine 5 to which I switched immediately allow to not loose you in the gap. First you can stay ahead of others who, procrastinating the deal with the new wild beast to tame, have to reduce the gap with whoever didn't the same and decided to tame the wild beast instead.
Second, you're "learning by doing", which means your skills evolve with the evolution of the new tool and of the latest newest features or range of items that new tool provides you. What also happens is that problem solving will become part of your skillset which is, in my opinion, the most important aspect of such an approach.

This is my very personal opinion, of course, but in 35+ years of professional life I think I've learnt a thing or two, including which mistakes I'd have better avoided when I had the chance to do things right and those I managed to evade. In any case... do as you feel better for yourself. The approach I suggested is a bold, sometime aggressive, but in the long run always pays off. if you wanna be more cautious because that's how you are then go for that approach instead.
Ultimately by the way... the solution is quite often in choosing the hybrid position and work on both. Just don't be afraid of being bold when is needed or when the proper opportunity comes.

Enjoy your new creative journey and b cool!

PS: a lot does also the rig you're using. That's an element that helps a lot in taking a decision. if your computer can't handle some of the crazy stuff we might encounter with some items, the choice of avoiding them is inevitable.
Makes total sense. Thanks for the insight helpful.