Can we please get a clarification on what "Designed to cause jealousy" means in relation to NTR?

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
Again and again I see arguments on NTR which revolve around the "Designed to cause jealousy" part of the definition.

The biggest camps are:
1. Is the MC expressing jealousy. eg: "I wrote the MC to not get jealous in character when he is being cucked. therefore it is not NTR so long as the MC is willing"
2. A normal average human playing this game would feel jealousy at being cucked

Although I have seen rarer arguments like
"I the author say that it was not my intent to cause jealousy. even if 99% of players feel jealous it does not matter because it was not designed to do that"

IT would vastly clearer if the definition was clearer on what it actually means by "designed to cause jealousy.". that phrasing is very vague and clearly confusing due to the clear disagreements people have on that meaning

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
Some example arguments
But we only have one definition on what the NTR-tag means. And that definition has been clarified: It's about the MC being jealous. No jealous MC = no NTR-tag.
Very correct... I haven't looked at it in a while, so for anyone else reading along who is curious, Tag list and rules. lists NTR as
  • NTR [Designed to cause jealousy by having the romantic interest involved with someone other than the MC.]
And there is no point at which Krowley expresses that sort of jealousy. Jealousy about being left out, or wanting to replace a person in a given scenario so Krowley is the center of attention, sure, but jealousy that the other is playing with someone else and not Krowley? Not that I can think of.

Deleted member 440241

Feb 14, 2018
If the MC is feeling it, the player should be too. Obviously not everything is written well enough to get players empathizing with the MC, but that is the general purpose of the MC. NTR is specifically a fetish about powerlessness and emasculation. The MC, and by extension player, should feel as if the LI went to another because the MC/player aren't good enough to satisfy the LI. Sharing, wife swapping, orgies, polyamory, harems, etc are not NTR.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
the first example is a misquote, the definition does NOT say it's about MC getting jealous.

it means case 2: the story is designed to cause the player jealousy, which is a more general thing than what mc is written to think or express.

usually 1 & 2 are the same, but 1 is a very narrow definition and leaves out loads of stuff an NTR-lover would enjoy. that's why the f95 definition is more general.

Cirdon

Nov 27, 2019
t means case 2: the story is designed to cause the player jealousy, which is a more general thing than what mc is written to think or express.
Yet in the example I'm quoted, the story isn't designed to cause the player jealousy. The Dev themselves declares that their game is NTR free and that all relationships are written as open.

WAB_AuthorIntro.png

A normal average human playing this game would feel jealousy at being cucked
Is way too fuzzy because everyone considers themselves to be normal average human beings, so from their perspective, they feel jealous so obviously it must be NTR.