Can't decide on playing cards layout. What do you guys think?

Which layout do you prefer?

• Total voters

artoonu

Jun 25, 2023
IGNORE THE ART. I'm focusing on the gameplay and design now.

I'm working on a Turn-Based Combat system for my game. The system is designed to be fast-paced, character and enemies taking just a second to make a move, there might be a little bit of strategy involved, but not too much. I started making game with chibi battlers in mind, but then realized it's too much work, made cards... and got stuck on layout decision.

I've started with RPG-esque layout, feels more dynamic, interesting, but less readable.

2023-12-13 11_22_15-Greenshot.png

Maybe with cards, a more traditional horizontal rows layout makes more sense? It's clear and readable, but feels kinda bland.
2023-12-13 10_32_42-Greenshot.png

TotalHarem

Harem Cartel
Game Developer
May 23, 2023
Well, vertical is more reminiscent of unit deployment at TRPGs and Horizontal makes it easier if your cards have synergies.

Since your cards are units, vertical makes more sense, sort of a mix between card/unit battler.

ravensoftbuns

Nov 9, 2020
First, I am a fan of not re-inventing the wheel. To me that means find someone doing what I want that is successful and try to copy the idea. Gwent and Magic Arena seem to be successful. It looks like you can get more activity if you line up portrait style cards in horizontal rows.

Gwent
1702840310838.png

Magic Arena
1702840360135.png

purplexel

Game Developer
Dec 1, 2023
I think the horizontal layout works a bit better, even if it's not a card game.