cant launch renpy game

kontol_air

Jun 3, 2017
help I'm using windows 7 and I can't launch renpy game, I try using renpy launcher sdk and this text appear

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/codes/sistema/gui.rpy", line 414, in script
init python:
init python:
File "game/codes/sistema/gui.rpy", line 418, in <module>
@gui.variant
AttributeError: 'StoreModule' object has no attribute 'variant'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "renpy/bootstrap.py", line 326, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "renpy/main.py", line 515, in main
renpy.game.context().run(node)
init python:
init python:
File "renpy/ast.py", line 922, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "renpy/python.py", line 2218, in py_exec_bytecode
exec(bytecode, globals, locals)
File "game/codes/sistema/gui.rpy", line 418, in <module>
@gui.variant
AttributeError: 'StoreModule' object has no attribute 'variant' PLEASE HELPPP
p

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 7.4.3.1414
MoT 0.30
Fri Jun 2 09:28:40 2023

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
After some quick research the latest base version of renpy works fine with win7, but the dev making a game can implement python code themselves when developing features of the game. If anything the dev did uses python 3.11 or greater it won't work with win7.

Reactions: Meaning Less

kontol_air

Jun 3, 2017
After some quick research the latest base version of renpy works fine with win7, but the dev making a game can implement python code themselves when developing features of the game. If anything the dev did uses python 3.11 or greater it won't work with win7.
So I need to reinstall the windows other than win 7? is it work fine if I'm using win 8?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.
[...]
AttributeError: 'StoreModule' object has no attribute 'variant'
Version incompatibility.

The save file have been made with a version of Ren'Py newer than the one trying to load it. You probably created the save from a compressed version, and now are trying to load it from the official version.

kontol_air

Jun 3, 2017
Version incompatibility.

The save file have been made with a version of Ren'Py newer than the one trying to load it. You probably created the save from a compressed version, and now are trying to load it from the official version.
I'am not using compressed version, if I download a new game the game not even launched, but when I try to launch old game (finished or abandoned), the game launched perfectly. I think the new renpy program not compitable with win 7, I guess.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Should I reinstall my windows with win 8 then? I don't know what to do, I almost giving up
You shouldn't install Windows 8. Worrying about running a ren'py game should be the least of your worries. What you should be doing is instead of playing ren'py games is finding a way to earn enough money to buy a new computer.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I'am not using compressed version,
I wonder, could the reason why I wrote "probably" instead of "surely", be that it's just one of the possible cause ?

I think the new renpy program not compitable with win 7, I guess.
If a version of Ren'Py wasn't compatible with Windows 7, that version of Ren'Py wouldn't even starts with Windows 7.

Should I reinstall my windows with win 8 then? I don't know what to do, I almost giving up
Hmm, I don't know, starts by reading, then thinking, then stop doing a big mess ?

I missed the SDK part in your original post (who the fuck use the SDK to play a game ?), but it change absolutely nothing to the reason for the error.

Except that instead of being the version of Ren'Py used to create the save file that is newer than the version of Ren'Py used to load it, it's the version of Ren'Py used to create the game that is newer than the version of Ren'Py SDK used to play it.

So, play the games like they are intended, by using it's executable instead of using the SDK, and the problem will be solved.

kontol_air

Jun 3, 2017
I wonder, could the reason why I wrote "probably" instead of "surely", be that it's just one of the possible cause ?

If a version of Ren'Py wasn't compatible with Windows 7, that version of Ren'Py wouldn't even starts with Windows 7.

Hmm, I don't know, starts by reading, then thinking, then stop doing a big mess ?

I missed the SDK part in your original post (who the fuck use the SDK to play a game ?), but it change absolutely nothing to the reason for the error.

Except that instead of being the version of Ren'Py used to create the save file that is newer than the version of Ren'Py used to load it, it's the version of Ren'Py used to create the game that is newer than the version of Ren'Py SDK used to play it.

So, play the games like they are intended, by using it's executable instead of using the SDK, and the problem will be solved.
Well I try it without using SDK and the game still didn't launched. I'm using SDK cz first time I launched it, the game doesn't appear, so I try it using SDK.

I try it to push shift button when I try launch the game, the game not even appear at task manager.

And I try it in win 10, its launched perfectly, I think my windows gets fucked up.

kontol_air

Jun 3, 2017
You shouldn't install Windows 8. Worrying about running a ren'py game should be the least of your worries. What you should be doing is instead of playing ren'py games is finding a way to earn enough money to buy a new computer.
Well maybe you are right, I try launched it at my other pc that using win 10 it's work fine, I guess my win 7 gets fucked up.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Always go for the newest version you can install.

Unfortunately Win 11 doesn't work except on newer hardware so you should go with win 10.

And if you are unlucky and your hardware doesn't support win10 because of some specific reason, then you could try out a linux distro, they often have better support for old hardware.

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
Honestly, any modern linux distro will allow you to run more modern windows programs than windows 8 or older. *shrug*

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
And I try it in win 10, its launched perfectly, I think my windows gets fucked up.
Ren'Py run under Windows 7... unless it's a 32 bits version. Then the SDK would run, but most games only embedded the 64bits launcher.

There's some issue with Ren'Py not starting at all, but the vast majority happen with Windows 11.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Ren'Py run under Windows 7... unless it's a 32 bits version. Then the SDK would run, but most games only embedded the 64bits launcher.
RenpyTom himself that they would drop support for win7 around this year, so it is possible OP is already stumbling upon games using newer python versions or similar.

Unrelated but Steam will completely stop working on win7 and even 8 by .

Anyone not using win10 or up should strongly consider installing a newer OS.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
RenpyTom himself that they would drop support for win7 around this year, so it is possible OP is already stumbling upon games using newer python versions or similar.
I don't think.
While technically not supported for Windows XP since two years (from memory), there's no reason for Ren'Py 7.4.x branch to no works fine on it ; at least as long as the game don't use one of the few bits that necessarily need Open GL 2. The support wasn't dropped due to real incompatibility, but because Python dropped its support, while pyTom introduced the use of Open GL 2.
And I guess that it's the same kind of reason for Windows 7. Python 3.9.10 (branch 8.x) already do not support Windows 7, while pyTom plane to introduce even more feature based on Open GL 2 and, who know, perhaps other technologies. He already add support for Live2D by example. But strictly speaking, for the majority of the games available, they should still works on Windows 7 for few years.

In top of this, what OP see isn't the behavior that would happen in this case ; Ren'Py should starts, then crash when encountering an instruction he can proceed.
But the game not starting at all is something else that point more on the Python interpreter.

Anyone not using win10 or up should strongly consider installing a newer OS.
This yeah, I totally agree on it.

Reactions: Meaning Less