Ren'Py Can't run Ren'py games

jireir

May 26, 2018
Hello, I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong category, however I wasn't sure where this would fit. I struggle with running ren'py games on my computer. Whenever I try to run a Ren'py game I get a message saying that "xyz.exe" could not open "xyz.py". I suspect that this might be due to windows 10 trying to open .py files with notepad, however I have no idea whether that can be the reason or how to check if that's what causes the issue. I'd be grateful for a fix to this problem if anyone has any ideas. I assume that Renpy games don't require any external program to run them but I'm not sure whether that's correct.?Thank you for help in advance.

jireir

May 26, 2018
Thank you for moving the thread and apologies for creating it in the wrong place. I've watched the video and went to take a look at the event viewer and I've noticed that my attempts to start up a Ren'py game are not even registered there at all.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I suspect that this might be due to windows 10 trying to open .py files with notepad, however I have no idea whether that can be the reason or how to check if that's what causes the issue.
If it was that, then you should see the notepad opening and the content of the said py file inside.
The notepad absolutely don't care of the type of the file, and as long as the said file exist, it will open it.

The error you get can have many causes. Among others, it can be because the installation isn't complete, because of a rights conflict (do not install in a c:/program[whatever]) directory, or because there's wild characters in the path to the file.

jireir

May 26, 2018
Solved, I much appreciate your help, I had some dumb character somewhere in the files. Fixed now.

edtorious

Aug 29, 2018
Solved, I much appreciate your help, I had some dumb character somewhere in the files. Fixed now.
It looks like I have the same problem as yours, I've posted on another thread. Can you tell me exactly where the dumb character is and maybe that will solve my problem?

jireir

May 26, 2018
It was in one of the files that I made in the pathway in other words you have to take a look at what the whole pathways and the files are named if there's any atypical character change the name. Note that this file was created by me, therefore it had nothing to do with the game files.

edtorious

Aug 29, 2018
It was in one of the files that I made in the pathway in other words you have to take a look at what the whole pathways and the files are named if there's any atypical character change the name. Note that this file was created by me, therefore it had nothing to do with the game files.
See screenshot below, do you see any atypical character in the pathways? I don't think there's any but keep getting the error.

Capture.PNG

jireir

May 26, 2018
No, all the characters seem to be normal in that pathway. I don't know what might be wrong there.

sansee

Dec 29, 2019
CURSE MY FRENCH NAME! Tank you for figuring out the problem though. once I moved the Ren Py game out of my user folder, it played just fine.