Cant start any renpy games, SDL2.dll and python27.dll Missing

dav121

Oct 13, 2016
Now This is Happening with ALL of my .Renpy games today.
Games that I played yesterday will not start and the error messages are telling me that SDL2.dll and python27.dll are Missing.
I have checked my ANti Virus and do not have an incident of it quarantining the files.
All my game files/folders are in one location but I haven't renamed it recently or anything.

Any Suggestions/help?

BobKels0

Jun 19, 2017
Theses files are embedded in the Renpy's libs, for every game you'll see them.

If you download the latest Renpy SDK, you'll probably face the same problem while tying to run a small project, or the demo project, right?
You can try to copy the files from the SDK to your game directory
For example :
renpy-7.3.2-sdk\lib\windows-i686\... ---> Acting Lessons\lib\windows-i686\...

If all your games with differents Renpy versions got the same problem, and you're antivirus is not at fault, look at your OS.
Probably an update of some libs that interact with the Renpy ones. Check the recent updates?
Have you changed the locale of your OS ? To play some strange Jap game. XD
I had strange behavior while doing that on my Windows. But didn't messed up with the directory.

(Forgot to tell you that, but if your antivirus have some sort of sandbox mode, try to launch the game with that, just in case.)

Good luck.

Reactions: dav121

dav121

Oct 13, 2016

If you download the latest Renpy SDK, you'll probably face the same problem while tying to run a small project, or the demo project, right?
For example :

If all your games with differents Renpy versions got the same problem, and you're antivirus is not at fault, look at your OS.
Probably an update of some libs that interact with the Renpy ones. Check the recent updates?
I had strange behavior while doing that on my Windows. But didn't messed up with the directory.

(Forgot to tell you that, but if your antivirus have some sort of sandbox mode, try to launch the game with that, just in case.)

Good luck.
Thanks for you help.
I searched for both files in the Folder I have all my Renpy games in = Zero Results.
I then searched my Drive and found the files of 2 long lost Renpy games that I had in a different locations on the same drive. I started both and Both are working.

So it seems overnight, All instances of SDL2.dll and python27.dll have been deleted from the 1 folder I store my Renpy Games.
The question remains , could I have done something to cause this or could windows?
I've checked and there was no windows updat since last week.

dav121

Oct 13, 2016

For example :

Good luck.
So I did what you suggested.
Downloaded the latest RENPY SDK

and I foud if I replaced the whole lib\windows-i686\ folder from Renpy SDK into the same location in my renpy game, everything works again.

I still don't know what caused the issue, but, thanks to you I have a solution.

dav121

Oct 13, 2016
So I did what you suggested.
Downloaded the latest RENPY SDK

and I foud if I replaced the whole lib\windows-i686\ folder from Renpy SDK into the same location in my renpy game, everything works again.

I still don't know what caused the issue, but, thanks to you I have a solution.
Also Top tip, Keep a copy of your games lib\windows-i686\ folder somewhere as I have found that with some of the RENPY games the SDK lib\windows-i686\ folder pasted in causes a traceback error, BUT after you have pasted the SDK lib\windows-i686\ folder into your game, paste your old lib\windows-i686\ folder back, it fixes the traceback error.