Others - Completed - Castle Evil [Ebisen Works]

1. 5.00 star(s)

blackalbatross1

I'm years late to write this review. But seeing that the only review gave the game a 3, I thought I should write one (and my first ever) to give the game some credits it deserves.

A 5*, though I would have voted a 4* due to the underwhelming boss H scenes (oh, and some minor bugs too). But this kind of game was so much of a blast that it really didn't deserve that.

The game can be hard at times, but there are no real penalties for losing or "dying". Exploration is superb, and the general story and dialogues, though not the main focus, are funny and fitting.

I personally like the weapon options and how they are balanced. Some are overall better than some, but most of them have some drawbacks, like rate of fire (or swing, if you will), reaching range, damage, and maybe some other effects I forgot. The minigun is a beast for killing anything, as long as they just stay right there and you are not required to move at all. Otherwise, I personally pick the broom for some maid aesthetics, as well as its combination of relatively longer reach, swing speed, and damage.

I'm not even sure if I had discovered 100% of things, seeing that I'm still at 190 AP max, and missing the bondage chain (which is, btw, got by getting imprison 35 times -- or so I heard). But regardless, this is one of those games that I won't afford to delete -- oh, and for all the contents, the game is light as hell.
  2. 3.00 star(s)

Wolfikins

Passable art, a pleasantly large roster, a variety of abilities and weapons, and quite a few secrets to find, but completionists beware, some of the later bosses and secrets are painful to finish, and getting to the endgame removes your ability to read information terminals (Like, for example, the ones that tell you what boss ability you just got, or the ones telling you which portal to enter in the recollection room to deliberately lose to a boss/enemy to fill out your Event quota) until you beat a specific late-game boss with at least one attack that heavily damages, if not instakills, at high levels.

Otherwise, a relatively solid HTroidVania.