Ren'Py Abandoned Celestial Grove: Wither [v2.0.1.2] [49squaredstudios]

Crimx49

Dec 11, 2019
49banner.png

Overview:
Celestial Grove: Wither is one part of a world I intend to develop. While Wither is at it's early stages, it will soon develop into a Survival Management game.

The world is under attack, and aliens have begun invading Earth. Numerous cities have fallen as the aliens destroy Earth's forces with ease. Even so, Earth has not given up. With adversity came the rapid development of new weapons; including Mechas. Join the hero, a Tactical Officer, as he does what what is necessary to survive against everything that is thrown his way.

Currently this short demo introduces the characters, and sets up the scenario. Within the next 2 to 3 updates, there will be full on gameplay. With luck, a full time artist as well!
All versions are ordered by "Release Number.Art Progress.Gameplay Progress.Story Progress".​

Thread Updated: 2019-12-12
Release Date: 2019-12-11
Developer: 49squaredstudios
Censored: No
Version: R2.0.1.2
Language: English
Genre:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:

Changelog:

DOWNLOAD
Win/Linux: - - -
Mac: - -

preview1.png preview2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
May 30, 2017
Releasing something this early seems incredibly ill-advised. They need funding for art and for a UI in a management game, arguably a pretty fundamental feature of that genre. But they're not gonna get funding until they have a decent UI or some art.

People aren't going to invest in something that the dev clearly hasn't invested in, and by his own admission doesn't have the skills required to make himself - particularly on a month by month basis, especially as the game will be given out for free for an indeterminate length of time.

Reactions: AGyorkie

Crimx49

Dec 11, 2019
Releasing something this early seems incredibly ill-advised. They need funding for art and for a UI in a management game, arguably a pretty fundamental feature of that genre. But they're not gonna get funding until they have a decent UI or some art.

People aren't going to invest in something that the dev clearly hasn't invested in, and by his own admission doesn't have the skills required to make himself - particularly on a month by month basis, especially as the game will be given out for free for an indeterminate length of time.
Incredibly fair points. I have been in touch with an artist who has become interested in the project. He has agreed to provide some free art for a partnership deal, but as long as he isn't getting paid he can't make it a priority. Which is fully understandable.

I will say I am fully invested in making this game. I have ideas for the world I am creating, and I have the intention of making at least 3 fully developed games in these worlds. My hope is that I will be able to fully flesh out these worlds with pictures of the scenes I am imagining, and the characters I'm creating. If not, then at least their stories will be told.

Reactions: vengefulspirit
May 30, 2017
Incredibly fair points. I have been in touch with an artist who has become interested in the project. He has agreed to provide some free art for a partnership deal, but as long as he isn't getting paid he can't make it a priority. Which is fully understandable.

I will say I am fully invested in making this game. I have ideas for the world I am creating, and I have the intention of making at least 3 fully developed games in these worlds. My hope is that I will be able to fully flesh out these worlds with pictures of the scenes I am imagining, and the characters I'm creating. If not, then at least their stories will be told.
Fair enough, and I totally understand the financial realities of the world we're living in as being gross and prohibitive. I also appreciate that you have a vision and that you're releasing it for free off the bat, that's always a good sign in terms of commitment by a dev. I'm just concerned for your sake because the reality is that over the past 2ish years we've seen a flood of new adult games, many of them in early, early alpha condition all competing for attention and funding. And this isn't meant as an attack, but many of them at least APPEAR to be in a better or more complete condition than yours is currently. I just find it hard to imagine that you're going to get the funding you want to be able to continue your project without a more complete proof of concept to get people on board.

Basically if you can't afford an artist and you can't afford a better UI design, and you can't afford to improve the game without investment in it then you may end up just throwing your time into something that is never going to get off the ground. If you believe in this project and you want to make it work then you need to invest some time and money into creating an enticing vertical slice of gameplay, even if it's a short slice it needs to look good. The unfortunate reality is people on a fap games forum aren't going to invest in a long, well designed, but skeletal framework. But they do invest in convincing but short demos. It's pretty foolish that that's how things are, but it seems to be that way.

slaveofpeon

Apr 23, 2018
Sometimes, especially in the begining, it is okay to use place holder images and art or UI. It doesn't matter if you dont have the talent for it, if you know that eventually you are gonna replace something. Heck, look at any AAA game studio working on a new IP and they have placeholders, skeletal rigs, garbage art, etc. during early developement. Ive seen games use geometric shapes as temps before. I imagine, when starting off, a big name game like Cyberpunk or Skyrim probably had assets similar to the look of human fall flat.

If you cant manage to afford something, just use MS paint or something, then slap a big ol' "TEMP", "TEST", "ALPHA" or "Better Images Soon" label onscreen somewhere. Plaster that caveat everywhere you can, when you can. That shows that you have more interest and drive to make it something, rather than to be another abandoned "heres my idea and framework" pitch

zoislk

Dec 9, 2019
Sometimes, especially in the begining, it is okay to use place holder images and art or UI. It doesn't matter if you dont have the talent for it, if you know that eventually you are gonna replace something. Heck, look at any AAA game studio working on a new IP and they have placeholders, skeletal rigs, garbage art, etc. during early developement. Ive seen games use geometric shapes as temps before. I imagine, when starting off, a big name game like Cyberpunk or Skyrim probably had assets similar to the look of human fall flat.

If you cant manage to afford something, just use MS paint or something, then slap a big ol' "TEMP", "TEST", "ALPHA" or "Better Images Soon" label onscreen somewhere. Plaster that caveat everywhere you can, when you can. That shows that you have more interest and drive to make it something, rather than to be another abandoned "heres my idea and framework" pitch
I would actually argue that it would be better to focus on what he can do, rather than try to take time away from his primary goal (writing and building the universe/story) to try and come up with some placeholder graphics to use when he's already in the process of getting an artist to help him with that side of things - especially when people are going to look at those and say "this is not the kind of game I want to play" even if you plaster "TEMPORARY GRAPHICS" everywhere.

Instead, I would suggest that he continues to focus on what he's going to be doing going forward (writing), let his part-time volunteer graphic artist do what he can when he can, and let that be the limit of how quickly the game is released. That way, he is putting out a higher quality product throughout the process, even if it takes longer than he (and his potential fanbase) would like. Once he gets enough support and can afford to pay the artist, then things would speed up. That seems like a better approach than putting out half-finished or a barely workable product every update.

esoom

Sep 6, 2017
Maybe he just wants some feedback of where to take the game. It's never too early to release something.

friar787

Dec 27, 2016
It might not be a bad idea to link a video of some game play to attract possible patrons while you wait for art assets to add in just to give people an idea of what they're getting into.