Ren'Py change text sice only for one page

ADVO_TV

Mar 12, 2023
Hey all,

im kinda new in the RenPy thing. I´m just translation from english to german.

But a problem appeared. Sometimes german is so fucked up, that it needs more space because i have to use much more words then in english.

Like this:

# q normal "Disrespectful behavior towards any member can cause trouble, so you’d better tread carefully and always clarify your intentions with a higher-ranked member before approaching a girl."
q normal "Respektloses Verhalten gegenüber Mitgliedern kann Ärger bedeuten, also gehen Sie also besser vorsichtig vor und klären Sie Ihre Absichten immer mit einem höherrangigen Mitglied, bevor Sie sich einem Mädchen nähern."

See my screenshot please: renpy.PNG
Is there any possible and easy why to make the font only for this page smaler, so the text fits completly on the screen.

Thank all for your help in advance.

Advo

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Is there any possible and easy why to make the font only for this page smaler, so the text fits completly on the screen.
Yes, you can use the size tag for this.

Python:
    # q normal "Disrespectful behavior towards any member can cause trouble, so you’d better tread carefully and always clarify your intentions with a higher-ranked member before approaching a girl."
   q normal "{size=20}Respektloses Verhalten gegenüber Mitgliedern kann Ärger bedeuten, also gehen Sie also besser vorsichtig vor und klären Sie Ihre Absichten immer mit einem höherrangigen Mitglied, bevor Sie sich einem Mädchen nähern.{/size}"
Just change the "20" by the font size that you need to use.

Side note: I hope you are more attentive when you translate than when you wrote the thread title...

ADVO_TV

Mar 12, 2023
Thank you very very much, i´ll try that.

Side note: I hope you are more attentive when you translate than when you wrote the thread title...
Yes I normaly do that, but it was very late and i was so tiered after reading through so many forums and couldnt find any solution, so i was just fucked up and wrote that post.

Last edited:

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
I worked well thank you!
You can also divide your line into two or more lines:

Python:
q normal "Respektloses Verhalten gegenüber Mitgliedern kann Ärger bedeuten,"
q normal "also gehen Sie also besser vorsichtig vor und klären Sie Ihre Absichten immer mit einem höherrangigen Mitglied, bevor Sie sich einem Mädchen nähern."
Just choose where to divide your line and add a new one immediately below. Visually it's better than changing the font size

Reactions: gojira667

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Hey all,

im kinda new in the RenPy thing. I´m just translation from english to german.

But a problem appeared. Sometimes german is so fucked up, that it needs more space because i have to use much more words then in english.

Like this:

q normal "Respektloses Verhalten gegenüber Mitgliedern kann Ärger bedeuten, also gehen Sie also besser vorsichtig vor und klären Sie Ihre Absichten immer mit einem höherrangigen Mitglied, bevor Sie sich einem Mädchen nähern."

See my screenshot please: View attachment 2544137

Thank all for your help in advance.

Advo
The second "also" can be deleted. It's redundant.
Fun fact. New gender writing would look like "Mitglied:innen". German got all of a sudden more complicated.

Personally i would make another render to split the text. But anything mentioned will do the job just fine.
If you use the size command you could leave everything in one line and just make a break with "\n".
This will refresh the dialog erasing previous text and print the new text.

ADVO_TV

Mar 12, 2023
Thank you I changed it. I did made my failure search in the game!

And sry i dont belive in this shit thing like Gernder Writing. I´m from good old Bavaria, Mitglieder-/innen thats how i prefer it.
But i belive, you are form germany, too. So you know about that discussion in our contry. Some want it, many give a shit :p
I dont want to be rude, so dont be angry at me, based on my replay.

Last edited:
Reactions: coffeeaddicted

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Thank you I changed it. I did made my failure search in the game!

And sry i dont belive in this shit thing like Gernder Writing. I´m from good old Bavaria, Mitglieder-/innen thats how i prefer it.
But i belive, you are form germany, too. So you know about that discussion in our contry. Some want it, many give a shit :p
I dont want to be rude, so dont be angry at me, based on my replay.
Don't worry. I made fun of the gender equality attempt.
I would never use it myself, nor do i know anyway talking that way. I think it's mainly for instructions and reports. Though, it complicates the language.

Anyway, yes, i am your fellow dude. Though i was from Hesse.
Last time i was there, i watched on the TV bavarian music and i have to say, they were actually brilliant. Though i never listen to this kind of music.

Anyway, it's now you choice how to do it. Though RenPy is such a nice language with many options.

You are alright. I just like to play jests. And, never use gender writing. It wouldn't sound real life anyway.

Take care

• Love
Reactions: ADVO_TV