Changing pc questions

godfather77

Jun 2, 2021
I've upgraded my Pc and my games are located on an SSD drive but not the C drive. If install my game drive into my new computer should I assume that I will not lose any saves, data etc? Where can I locate Renpy save files some games do not have a Save folder.

WICKEDp4th

Before Alice went to Wonderland, she had to fall.
Donor
Sep 6, 2017
They are located in this Folder below:

C:\Users\*YourUsernamehere*\AppData\Roaming\RenPy

You can also use the Windows + R keys > then type into the following window that opens %appdata% > Press Enter > look for the Folder called RenPy.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I've upgraded my Pc and my games are located on an SSD drive but not the C drive. If install my game drive into my new computer should I assume that I will not lose any saves, data etc? Where can I locate Renpy save files some games do not have a Save folder.
Yes and no.
The great majority of games save only in C:, so you will at least lose the great majority of them.

However, when it comes to Ren'Py games, they save in two locations: Locally (Same folder as the game, in your SSD drive) and in your C:
So, if you were to move your Ren'Py games in another computer, saves would still exist... Unless the dev disabled this for some reason.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
[...] Unless the dev disabled this for some reason.
And it's relatively easy to see if he did it or not. The save included with the game are in the "[path to the game]/game/saves" directory. So, if this directory exist, then the saves are within the game and will be kept when changing the computer.