Tutorial Changing the name of a game that doesnt have the option.

Jimmyjamx22

Jan 7, 2018
*if this doesn't belong here let me know, or if its a double post please remove*

I noticed a few games where you are stuck with one name. Usually a name you don't care for or just done like.

Here is what you need;

Note++ (makes this WAY easier and its free)

For this example i am using Out of Touch game Here

character name is CJ. ( i had a friend who passed with this name so i had to figure it out)

Before

edit 001.jpg

Step one

Find the scripts for the game like this

edit 005.jpg

Step two

open up all of them (yes all of them, Note++ makes this part so much easier)
Below, shows one of them opened with cj being searched make sure to be on the tab for replace.
Then select replace all.

edit 002.jpg
After edit
edit 003.jpg

Make sure to uncheck "match whole word only" and do the search again and replace those as well.

The save icon that has 2 save floppys on it saves ALL the tabs. so make all your changes and use that to save every tab you open. :)

this is the after result.

edit 004.jpg

Hopefully this helps someone. I am unsure if it breaks anything, but so far its working fine. Just be careful and make copies of the scrips before editing.

If you have any edits or pointers please let me know!

Last edited:

Deleted member 4812744

Apr 8, 2022
*if this doesn't belong here let me know, or if its a double post please remove*

I noticed a few games where you are stuck with one name. Usually a name you don't care for or just done like.

Here is what you need;

Note++ (makes this WAY easier and its free)

For this example i am using Out of Touch game Here

character name is CJ. ( i had a friend who passed with this name so i had to figure it out)

Before

View attachment 2748358

Step one

Find the scripts for the game like this

View attachment 2748353

Step two

open up all of them (yes all of them, Note++ makes this part so much easier)
Below, shows one of them opened with cj being searched make sure to be on the tab for replace.
Then select replace all.

View attachment 2748355
After edit
View attachment 2748361

Make sure to uncheck "match whole word only" and do the search again and replace those as well.

The save icon that has 2 save floppys on it saves ALL the tabs. so make all your changes and use that to save every tab you open. :)

this is the after result.

View attachment 2748364

Hopefully this helps someone. I am unsure if it breaks anything, but so far its working fine. Just be careful and make copies of the scrips before editing.

If you have any edits or pointers please let me know!

This method that you indicate is very risky and dangerous, because you run the risk of "replacing" the name of a "possible variable" or something important, which then generates an error.

If you want to replace a name, text, or whatever, I recommend using Renpy's replace.text function.

I attached a script for you to understand.

replace.rpy

Reactions: Jimmyjamx22

Jimmyjamx22

Jan 7, 2018
This method that you indicate is very risky and dangerous, because you run the risk of "replacing" the name of a "possible variable" or something important, which then generates an error.

If you want to replace a name, text, or whatever, I recommend using Renpy's replace.text function.

I attached a script for you to understand.

replace.rpy

How is this used? just drop it into the /game folder?