Character movement.

mizares

Game Developer
Mar 1, 2018
Good guys, could someone explain to me how I move characters around the scene faster? Sometimes they are very slow.
I use daz3d

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
You're going to have to be more specific about what you're doing and exactly how you're doing it.

mizares

Game Developer
Mar 1, 2018
With the scene already created, the movement of the characters becomes extremely slow. I mean x, y, z translate. Is there any way to place the character directly in a point without moving it around the scenes? . Many times when giving the character a pose it is placed at x0, y0. When putting the character back in place is when it goes very slow.

sliveart777

Nov 12, 2019
You can technically just enter the exact number into x, y or z translate and have the object move instantly. By clicking on the value it allows you to edit them directly. But this is obviously not as precise and may take a bit of trial and error.

Daz Studio has a problem with slowing down significantly if a scene gets large or even specific objects alone can put lots of strain on your system's memory. I personally do character design and posing in a separate scene from the actual environment to avoid this kind of slowdown especially when very precise changes are needed like for character posing.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
With the scene already created, the movement of the characters becomes extremely slow. I mean x, y, z translate. Is there any way to place the character directly in a point without moving it around the scenes? . Many times when giving the character a pose it is placed at x0, y0. When putting the character back in place is when it goes very slow.
When you click on a pose, hold down alt and untick the translation boxes in the little window that pops up.

And go and get this, the best thing for placement

mizares

Game Developer
Mar 1, 2018
When you click on a pose, hold down alt and untick the translation boxes in the little window that pops up.

And go and get this, the best thing for placement

[/CITAR]
Wow, this tool is fantastic, thanks.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Good guys, could someone explain to me how I move characters around the scene faster? Sometimes they are very slow.
I use daz3d
On a fresh install of Daz, the user interface is slow and unresponsive - this is because of a default setting which is for maximum compatibility with older graphics cards/drivers.

You can change this to "best" performance:

"Edit menu -> Preferences -> Interface -> Display Optimization" : Set it to "Best"

This makes the user interface much more responsive (still not great sometimes if you have a lot of scene content, but much better than the default).

Reactions: mizares

killerzone2000

Aug 15, 2021
You're going to have to be more specific about what you're doing and exactly how you're doing it.
when i put my character in a antiblock sex pose it moves to the next side ill have to put him back in the pose i had it how do i pin down my character from moveing

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
when i put my character in a antiblock sex pose it moves to the next side ill have to put him back in the pose i had it how do i pin down my character from moveing
One way to deal with animations not having the character in the spot you want is to:
  1. Create a group
  2. Put the character inside the group (drag-and-drop, or "Change Parent" on the character and set the parent to the group)
  3. Apply the animation to the character
  4. Move the character to where you want in the scene by moving the group, not the character.
The other option, of course, is to leave the character where he/she is and move the scene.

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
I use daz3d
Two things that'll slow the viewport down are assets (can be hair, clothes etc) with either:
1. View Subd Level above 1.
2. Interactive update ON.

If it's only sometimes/with some character or assets, you can check those. If it's often/when you add several chars etc, it might just be your hardware that is at its limits...

TessaXYZ

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2020
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that clothes with mesh smoothing will slow character manipulation down significantly. Check to see if that's the case for you. (Click the clothing, check the parameters for Mesh Smoothing -> temporarily turn it off while you're posing)