• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py Character names

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
Depends on the game and which variable the creator used for that, so it can be a multitude of ways. But the easiest by far is just start a new game, else you'll have to download 3rd party tools and/or go through the code ;)

U

User_10739

Look for the variable that says xxx = u'wrongname' and change it to xxx = u'rightname' in the console.

i.e. in the game Deviant Desires my variable is mcname = u'Smedley' and if I chose to, I could load the console and type in mcname = u'Dick' and the game would change my name to Dick.

If you don't know about variables or the console then either read a thread or two in the "tools & tutorials" forum or start a new game.

Reactions: Palanto

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
To the answer of @Palanto Games and @Kasey I'll add that if the name is also displayed in top of the dialogs, you'll have to change the name directly inside the Character object.

For this, you'll have to use the default variables viewer, or and search the variables which have "<Character: u'Actual name'>" as value. Then , and type :
Code:
[characterObject].name = 'New name'
So, if the object is named "mc", you'll have to type :
Code:
mc.name = 'New name'

Soccergod2666

Sep 21, 2017
To the answer of @Palanto Games and @Kasey I'll add that if the name is also displayed in top of the dialogs, you'll have to change the name directly inside the Character object.

For this, you'll have to use the default variables viewer, or and search the variables which have "<Character: u'Actual name'>" as value. Then , and type :
Code:
[characterObject].name = 'New name'
So, if the object is named "mc", you'll have to type :
Code:
mc.name = 'New name'
I need some more help I found “mc_name=“ but how do I change it with the enxtended viewer?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I need some more help I found “mc_name=“ but how do I change it with the enxtended viewer?
As answered to you in the thread related to my tool, the extended variable viewer is not intended to change the values. And as said in the comment you quoted, if the name is also displayed in top of the dialog, changing the value of "mc_name" will not be enough ; either it will change nothing (the variable was used as buffer before being assigned to the Character object) or just change the way the MC will be called in the dialogs.
Like apparently changing the value of "mc_name" change nothing, you also need to [all what said in the comment above]. So, what's the name of the game ? It will be easier if someone who know more have a look at it and tell you where to search.

note: Sorry if my comment feel harsh. I know that everybody isn't necessarily at ease with code, it's just that it's 3AM here and I really need some holidays.

Reactions: Palanto

Soccergod2666

Sep 21, 2017
As answered to you in the thread related to my tool, the extended variable viewer is not intended to change the values. And as said in the comment you quoted, if the name is also displayed in top of the dialog, changing the value of "mc_name" will not be enough ; either it will change nothing (the variable was used as buffer before being assigned to the Character object) or just change the way the MC will be called in the dialogs.
Like apparently changing the value of "mc_name" change nothing, you also need to [all what said in the comment above]. So, what's the name of the game ? It will be easier if someone who know more have a look at it and tell you where to search.

note: Sorry if my comment feel harsh. I know that everybody isn't necessarily at ease with code, it's just that it's 3AM here and I really need some holidays.
Yeah sorry my fault so the game is Mythic Manor.
I got someone else’s save and I just want them to call me something else in dialog, I understand that the extended viewer can not change, so when I console commanded it did nothing.

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
Works Perfectly fine, I just looked into it, the dev creates a player class with the name being 'MC' nothing else in it... so completely uselss :D Well whatever, the name is stored in mc_name
so if you open the console (activate it through i.e. ) with shift+o type in:
Code:
mc_name = "Name"
And yes, I even tested it just now, changed the name from "Palanto" to "Jack" back and forth in the middle of the game, works perfectly fine. But you mustn't forget " " or ' ' and between those comes the new name you want.

p.S.: Here are the screenshots to show you how it's done and that it works (from top left to bottom right [1. MC Name is Palanto, 2. Changing name to Jack, 3 Checking if the name is Jack now 4. Yes it is, 5. It's also showing in game now as the correct name, 6 change Name back to Palanto, 7. Check if it's now Palanto yes it is, 8. Palanto shows in game]):

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png
5.png 6.png 7.png 8.png

Fallen Angel Productions

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 16, 2017
hey i'm trying to find the name for the tyrant but can't find it in the viewer does this need to be updated or has sadddog removed it which i don't think is possible i'm probably just blind i've been through the list afew times but it isn't there

Reactions: TheEdge