Daz Character rendered without background is transparent. [SOLVED]

Dabigoh

Mar 1, 2020
I've got a scene that I'm trying to render the room by itself and the two characters separately. So, I built the scene then hid the characters. The render of the room turned out beautifully. Then I removed all the extra junk from the room (shelves, books, pillows, etc.) leaving only items that would affect lighting and shadows (walls, windows, curtains, etc.). This is a snip of how the room renders before manipulating the canvases:

1628810005278.png

I only let it render for 100 iterations and just took a screenshot for the purpose of posting this.

Before rendering, I went to the Render/Advanced tab and selected the Canvases tab. Then I went to the Node Lists: section, created a node and populated the node with the character and all her child items.

I created a canvas, left the type as Beauty, checked the Alpha box, and then added my node.

1628810145750.png

I've done this many times before for different projects and it usually works perfectly. However, this time when I run the render, the character is transparent. (Again, I only let it render for 100 iterations and just took a snip of the render window.)

1628810323957.png

If I turn off the Alpha, she renders just fine but with a black background. I suppose I could use photoshop to make the background transparent, but I'm really stumped as to why she is rendering transparent in the first place.

As I said, I've done this several times before without issue, but I can't for the life of me figure out what is so different this time.

EDIT:

Here's a copy of what the three renders look like when I layer them back together:

1628810529012.png

Which would be awesome if I was making a sexy ghost story.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
I had that bug long time ago, but I don't remember how I solved it.
You could try via LPE, but looking at it I have a feeling it will produce same result.

It may sound unrelated but do you have bloom filter enabled by any chance? Had few problems in the past with alpha and canvas iirc. Another way to determine where it comes from should be to 'decompose' the render (try with HDRI+scene alone, then HDRI+light 1 and so on).

Reactions: Dabigoh

Dabigoh

Mar 1, 2020
I have tried using LPE and you are correct, the results were the same.

Didn't think about the bloom filter but, alas, the filter was already off.

Your suggestion to 'decompose' the render isn't a bad idea. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the reply.

Dabigoh

Mar 1, 2020
Holy crap!

I did as you suggested and started removing light sources. Nothing changed. Then I just removed everything but the character and it rendered correctly. So, I reloaded the scene and started removing things one by one. I figured it would be the windows or something, but nope. It wasn't until I removed the wall behind the camera that the issue went away.

That confused me so I looked a little closer and noticed that my camera was partially embedded in the wall. I moved the camera one 'unit' closer to the scene (out of the wall) and problem solved. Apparently, the camera was embedded too far.

Wow. Now I know.

Thanks again for the input no_name!!