Cheating as part of a game's background story vs the main story

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I know a lot of people really dislike it when the main character is unavoidably cheated on in a game (myself included). I'm curious how many of those people are opposed to a backstory that includes the main character being cheated on in the past, before the player had control? Personally I don't mind that, but that doesn't mean others don't.

I'm working on a game where I wanted the main character to have a flashback to being cheated on by his HS GF as part of his backstory. This is something that would have happened years before the player ever takes control but it shapes his view of the world a bit so I think it needs to be there. You don't get to know this GF, you have a few flashbacks of him dating/fucking her and then him catching her cheating and that's it for her. She's gone after that.

What do you guys think?

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
That's a good way to defuse the situation. If the MC was a virgin, saving himself for marriage, and then his girlfriend cheated on him, that would hit pretty hard, but if you flashback and show that he wasn't a virgin, it would have less of an impact the second time around.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
I'm not one of those players that absolutely hate that so maybe I'm not the most indicated person to talk about.

I think that as long as it doesn't happen once the players take control and you're not forced to interact again (in a romantic way) with the girl that cheated on you, most of those players shouldn't have a problem.

Reactions: khumak

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Acting Lessons is a successful game despite the MC being cheated on in the past. Iirc, only the confrontation with his gf is shown though (but I can be mistaken).
Personally I would avoid to show the two having sex: a scene like that may be appealing only to NTR lovers; also, it's less work to you.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Acting Lessons is a successful game despite the MC being cheated on in the past. Iirc, only the confrontation with his gf is shown though (but I can be mistaken).
Personally I would avoid to show the two having sex: a scene like that may be appealing only to NTR lovers; also, it's less work to you.
I do plan to show it, but I'm thinking that if you never get to know this girl you won't have a reason to care about her. You get to see what she looks like. You get to see MC fuck her a few times. You get to see MC catch her cheating once, and then she's gone. The effect on him is the important part. The girl is just a painful memory.

For me I think control is the line in the sand. If the game started off and you actually played through the backstory and had choices to make and the girl cheated on you no matter what you did then it would bug me. If he's just remembering something that already happened then it doesn't bother me.

DawnCry

Nov 25, 2017
Unavoidable NTR is only okay in the case you describe, as the beginning of the game to motivate the development. Of course if you go that way it should have a meaning and be used in the game, confrontation or revenge are typical themes in that type of game. Even more while some people hate NTR I would imagine that they would enjoy fucking her like the slut she is in or being able to payback at some point.

You know that you have changed when you manage to overcome your past and I have to say it's really sweet being able to take revenge.

Reactions: khumak

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Unavoidable NTR is only okay in the case you describe, as the beginning of the game to motivate the development. Of course if you go that way it should have a meaning and be used in the game, confrontation or revenge are typical themes in that type of game. Even more while some people hate NTR I would imagine that they would enjoy fucking her like the slut she is in or being able to payback at some point.

You know that you have changed when you manage to overcome your past and I have to say it's really sweet being able to take revenge.
Yeah revenge is the only reason I would ever bring a girl like that back. My plan really doesn't include her after that flashback though, she's just gone forever. If it involved a character that was actually going to be involved in the story later then yeah, payback would definitely be on the agenda and IMO the more important the character involved is, the more important it is for MC to be able to feel like he's truely come out on top after experiencing that.

I think when most people play a game they want to feel like at the end of the game, they've won. They don't want to feel like they've been used and abused and ended up with the short end of the stick.

I can see the potential for an exception if you want the game to be about forgiving the cheater but I have a really hard time imagining what it would take for someone to truely forgive that rather than just deciding they don't give a fuck anymore. Not if they're both in the same league anyway. Settling for sloppy seconds is not the same as forgiving them.

If the guy makes a lot of money and the woman is a stay at home mom, yeah I can see the incentive for her to decide he's her meal ticket so she'll just pretend she doesn't care. I think that's actually somewhat common. If it's the woman doing the cheating I'm not seeing the incentive to forgive her unless he feels like he scored someone who is way out of his league. If he's a 4 and she's a 10 maybe he thinks, ok this sucks but I'm still banging a 10 even if she is a slut.

As far as I'm concerned, if you cheat it's pretty much over even if you never get caught. You don't respect them anymore and it's going to show. The exception would be if you have permission. If the wife agrees to a threesome or something for instance then good for you. Then it's not a betrayal because you both want it.

I've thought about scenarios for what it would take for me to forgive someone who cheated and pretty much all of them would require me doing something worse than she did in return. Then we're even. It would have to be something that hurt her worse than what she did hurt me. Then both of us would feel like she paid for it. Then we could try to pick up the pieces from there. Without the revenge aspect, I just don't see the cheater being able to make it up to the other person. Is she going to just treat me like a god forever? Not gonna happen. Nobody could sustain that even if she wanted to.

So for instance, if I found out she fucked the bartender down the street the only way I'm letting that go is if I fuck her best friend or her sister or someone really important to her (and without her permission). She can't just say ok fine you have a free pass to go fuck some random slut that she's probably never even going to meet. It has to be someone who matters and it has to be someone she'd be really upset finding out about. It has to be someone she's going to see again and be reminded about it. Every time she goes home for Christmas or whatever and sees her sister she's going to imagine her sucking my dick. Every time she meets her friend at the gym, same thing. So what she did was bad and she did it first. What I did is worse, but is justified by what she did to some extent.

DawnCry

Nov 25, 2017
Hmm I never thought what would I do if I found my girlfriend cheating on me. Overall real life is more drama than comedy and usually the dramas end badly or it's really hard to get the good ending.

Overall sometimes we use circunstances and try to explain it, "it only happened once", "I was drunk...", but in games it can be more complicated, perhaps because of a debt or a heavy need of money, overall the thing changes when it's related to money or protecting something that is important.

NTR isn't a fetish that I have, but it never bothered me, overall I never doubted my girlfriend and I have 0 feelings for the girls that appear in games, so because of that personally I could enter themes such as forgiving, trying again or even reconquer a past love.

But in the end, would I be as forgiving in real life? no freaking way, the most valuable thing is trust, and this is related to everything in life, once you betray it... it never truly recovers, because what happened once can happen again.