Cherry Omnibus (Last Gasp comix) - 40th Anniversary Ed Hardcover launched on Kickstarter

player two

Dec 4, 2022
First of all, I've no affiliation with the "Cherry Omnibus - 40th Anniversary Ed Hardcover" other than stumbling across it and immediately opening my wallet.

If you are not familiar with the Cherry Poptart comics of the 1980's, you are missing out some an influential underground Comix from Last Gasp publishing of San Francisco. Like most Comix, this is not for kids. It's frequently call "real life Archie comix" or "if Archie depicted sex, pot, and other 'counter kulture' ".

I won't go in to the details here about it as Google has all the history. I have 12+ OG issues I purchased from the downtown Mile High Comic shop on Colfax, Denver, CO. However the later issues became harder to find. The early issues are B/W. Color did arrive later. This will be nice so I can keep sealed issues "near mint in bag". I hope it will have issue #11 in its OG 3-D Anaglyph format as my copy goes for as much as the Omnibus itself. Back then, anaglyphs were a semi-rare novelty thing. #11 was pretty entertaining with body parts popping off the page and seeing the stereographic "action" illustrations.

**IF** you to spring for the Omnibus, there's add-ons with several starting at $15 each. If you're wanting to complete your collection, I recommend springing for both Neil Gaiman "Cherry Poptart Deluxe" #1 issue & issue #23 which is **NOT** in the Omnibus -- both issues are signed by Larry Welz. Doing so will add $32 to your purchase. There's only 170 or so if each issue. (Q: if missing something, is it still called an Omnibus?) For me, that set my total to about $165 US.

You might also consider checking the old'ish website that has hundreds of artwork pieces even if you don't KS. There you can find the artwork of issue #23 as well. (The site could use TLC unless trying to maintain that "old" feel.)

Enjoy.

Last edited: