Choosing between two game ideas

Mr. Mayhem

Apr 14, 2019
I was coming up for the setting and genre I guess you could sayfor my game and I came up with two but I can’t decide. The first one is a mecha school in the future and the second is like a medieval times setting where your a knight in the past. Which one sounds better?

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
In a distant future, a war with unthinkable mighty weapons, almost destroyed the world, these weapons were so devasting that the few remaining humans now live like in medival times. The few remaining technologies are long forgotten, but it's said that in a distant country, there are people using these ancient technologies.

kshyk

Mar 18, 2018
In a distant future, a war with unthinkable mighty weapons, almost destroyed the world, these weapons were so devasting that the few remaining humans now live like in medival times. The few remaining technologies are long forgotten, but it's said that in a distant country, there are people using these ancient technologies.
Check out his piece of art :)

- But seriously. No more medieval times games!

• Love
Reactions: recreation

SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019
what's wrong with medieval times games? xD I'm making a game where you are a knight in a historically accurate setting... there's not many of them (or nearly any without fantasy)

RanliLabz

Creating SpaceCorps XXX
Donor
Game Developer
Mar 5, 2018
what's wrong with medieval times games? xD I'm making a game where you are a knight in a historically accurate setting... there's not many of them (or nearly any without fantasy)
Yeah - I don't think it's oversaturated (at least in CGI, more anime stuff like that). Interesting to see a historical accurate setting - I know I wouldn't be able to stop myself adding fantasy elements :LOL:. What year are you setting it?

SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019
Yeah - I don't think it's oversaturated (at least in CGI, more anime stuff like that). Interesting to see a historical accurate setting - I know I wouldn't be able to stop myself adding fantasy elements :LOL:. What year are you setting it?
It's around High Medieval age, but is a tricky question because there is some fantasy into it, because events take place in made up countries (the Holy Roman Empire Across the Sea), and there is some discrepancies with how exactly things go in Europe (Is a sort of alternate reality) The important about historicity is the tone.

some shots:
MO_Castle_morning.png BG_Sunrise.png BG_BlackLake1920_final.png 3.png 7.png

Anyway the post is not about me, but there is quite enough you can make a game off about different time periods without the need of going fantasy at all; It is nothing bad to put fantasy in any setting (like, FTL in space, Mindpowers in modern, Elves in medieval ages), the only important is not putting that in the game because you're out of ideas x'D

To the OP I'll say that once one start writing the script and the characters talk with their own voice and is not work at all making the story, is the right game you have to make.

If you ask the community they'll say "there is not enough modern theme games!" xD But I also can say that If I were not a 3d modeller in order to make my own assets when needed, It is more difficult to do anything different from modern.

RanliLabz

Creating SpaceCorps XXX
Donor
Game Developer
Mar 5, 2018
Those are some amazing teaser pics, SeventhVixen! I like how much work you've put into the scenery (where did you get the sun-rays in pic 3, btw - gorgeous! Also liking the background characters in 4... looks like you're planning on some comic relief! :D

SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019
Just some poorly used godrays (is hard to really denoise them). But well that shoot hasn't touched psp yet.

But they have lots of curious uses in daz (just renders):
14_talk_6.png Test2.png 4_rays.png
but is nothing that you cannot achieve with some psp and a lot less render time xD

And additional observation for the OP: If wanna start a game prepare the ending, it gives a lot of focus about what the game is about.

When I started this game (1700 hours of work ago, that translates in just 3 hours of gameplay right now), I ask in this forums too, just to make some conversation in order to help me decide because I'd like to make games about lots of topics.

I decided to make some kind of "inner story about a little thing that happens inside any Crusader Kings II game", just a Count making a claim over his Duchy. So I had the start and end of the game. Only having to write what happens in between make its a lot easier.