Chosing a language to code

Malfred

Jan 29, 2018
Hello guys, i am since recently a programmer who is quite good with C but it is not the best to create games and so i though that learning a language and using it for "Important" stuff could be fun.
Important mean ero game naturaly
So which language do you suggest i learn, and which library should i use?
Sorry for my bad english =P

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
So which language do you suggest i learn, and which library should i use?
What language you use depends on what kind of game you want to make.

Do you want to have real-time 3D models? Then you probably want to use .

Is it more of an RPG-style game? Then you probably want some version of .

Are you able to make a bunch of art for it and are looking for more story? Then probably .

Do you want to tell a story, but with limited art assets? Then it's likely (probably with the format).

I'd figure out what you want to do and how you want it to look first, and then pick an engine that suits the game you want to build.

Malfred

Jan 29, 2018
What language you use depends on what kind of game you want to make.

Do you want to have real-time 3D models? Then you probably want to use .

Is it more of an RPG-style game? Then you probably want some version of .

Are you able to make a bunch of art for it and are looking for more story? Then probably .

Do you want to tell a story, but with limited art assets? Then it's likely (probably with the format).

I'd figure out what you want to do and how you want it to look first, and then pick an engine that suits the game you want to build.
Well honestly i was thinking of a language like C++ java python in order to get used to using it and to be able to use it for work while doing something fun,
I am high level in c and i have a friend who dabble in python that will help me (i also know a bit of python)
We were thinking of making a rpg fantasy with between one or three picture by scene at the end of a combat/interaction with lot of text to complement it
I made a runner, a shooter and a combat system in csfml but i don t think it is the best way to make a good game

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
in that case, either unity or rpgm, with unity on top because of C.

Reactions: Malfred

discepless

Aug 16, 2017
Well, set your target. Are you planning to create a First Person Game with great animations and etc? Learn C++ and jump to Unreal Engine.
Are you more focused on Storytelling games/Platformer? Learn C# and jump to Unity.
If you hate yourself - cry engine

If you're a good coder don't touch Ren'Py. You will hate this thing because you will be hardly restricted to "what can i do".

Of course you can work with frameworks like sfml, cocos and etc but imho, you will waste more time on creating a base fundamental of your game and at the end you won't even start with the actual gameplay.

If you want to get a work at AAA studio, learn C++/OpenGL/DirectX - don't touch engines

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
Well honestly i was thinking of a language like C++ java python in order to get used to using it and to be able to use it for work while doing something fun,
I'm doing the same. I'm working in Twine because it's fun and gives me a chance to learn a lot more HTML/CSS/JavaScript/jQuery stuff, which then helps if I'm looking for programming work.

Well, whatever you do, good luck! :)

SoulFoZoid

Game Developer
Aug 26, 2017
Oh boy the ever more popular reply don't work in engines.
Sorry but if you want a job in any game company you always start off as an intern.
Get to work as a grunt worker then get to know your coworkers.
Do long term jobs until you get enough experience to tackle more complex jobs.

Using no game engine means you need to make your own engine
and after all the coding you got to show for is a rotating cube with texture applied.
Unless you create an engine that rivals the competition people will just stick with what they got.
They never hire programmers that show the bare bones in their portfolio.
The're exceptions, if the engine is unique with features never seen before.

Now don't start learning C++ yet it's a beast of project to tackle.
Starts with a simpler programming language now C# or Java.
Use unity to make working prototypes.
If the game company is not using unity it's using Unreal engine start porting your unity projects.
Copy simple games and work your way up.
I wish you the best in you're game development.

Malfred

Jan 29, 2018
Oh boy the ever more popular reply don't work in engines.
Sorry but if you want a job in any game company you always start off as an intern.
Get to work as a grunt worker then get to know your coworkers.
Do long term jobs until you get enough experience to tackle more complex jobs.

Using no game engine means you need to make your own engine
and after all the coding you got to show for is a rotating cube with texture applied.
Unless you create an engine that rivals the competition people will just stick with what they got.
They never hire programmers that show the bare bones in their portfolio.
The're exceptions, if the engine is unique with features never seen before.

Now don't start learning C++ yet it's a beast of project to tackle.
Starts with a simpler programming language now C# or Java.
Use unity to make working prototypes.
If the game company is not using unity it's using Unreal engine start porting your unity projects.
Copy simple games and work your way up.
I wish you the best in you're game development.
Thanks a lot ^^
But a lot of people told me that c was harder than c++ so i though i was good, also i prefered a non engine because i needed to learn other languages but while doing something fun, also i made some part of an rpg in c so i see how to reach something on the level of rpg maker ^^
But still thanks for your advices i will think about it