Christmas/ Halloween special updates kinda suck

Robin_Scales

Feb 21, 2018
Many large developers do it: Spend many weeks or even months on a seasonal update, which has nothing to do with their main game, and has it's own independent story. Though i have no idea why. I have never noticed any noteworthy demand for Seasonal Specials, this ain't Scooby Doo. And the countless hours spent on Christmas and Halloween specials are hours that instead could have been spent on releasing an update of the same size for their main game, which in many cases already suffer from slow development.
Does anyone agree/disagree? Is there any good reason for Season Specials that i'm not seeing?

Tataro

Mar 27, 2018
I agree. It's cute but I'd rather they make a release to their regular game for christmass than some special that is unrelated to the story

Deleted member 1706148

Oct 12, 2019
I'm curious for what the reason is as well. Is it get more [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅5)̲̅$̲̅]? or maybe to give them more time to plan how the story goes? or maybe some/most people like seasonal updates... tbh i'm conflicted, i don't hate seasonal stuff but at the same time i don't want to wait for eternity for the main game to update :/

Reactions: rKnight and Zachy

Zachy

Spark Of Life
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 6, 2017
That's why some of them even release Seasonal Updates as separate standalone games.

Sometimes, it's pretty hard to merge your main game plot with a Christmas story, without making it look out of place. In my case, I tried to make a special Christmas event in my game only available for December, because it was really hard to include that content in the main storyline.

But hey, it's a great chance to give a different look to your game characters, and maybe try to include some Santa suit fetishes lol.

215303j

Maybe it gives the devs a break from their normal work (by not having to worry about the storyline too much), while still pleasing the patrons?

Reactions: Papa Ernie

Volta

Apr 27, 2017
I get that people like to have a break from their normal work schedule but i've not seen a worthwhile Xmas update yet, sure do something, a dev i know did a pack of Xmas renders rather than an xmas update and that seems to be a happy medium, a little something for the season and move on, not wasting countless hours but it gave him a little something fun to do that wasn't canon.