septacycell

Dec 27, 2017
Off topic but I wonder how profitable are lewd games on Steam, shame we don't have reliable sales data anymore.

but I will check the Steam reviews for DA just to see if anyone lament not getting it on with X girl which was in the game but they just missed it.

Jun 20, 2018
Early acess is for games still not finished. I was talking about pre-ordering.
I was asking Philly_Games about CoBD early access, not the DA preorder. It could conceivably be a way to get a nice flow of funds from a wider audience since a lot of people already have Steam. Plus there is a lot of Cyberpunk interest to take advantage of, with CP2077 coming up next year, the new tabletop Cyberpunk that just came out, the recent release of BR2049, etc.

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
If you want to have a mandatory 2-4 weeks waiting period of beta testing and beating all the bushes on every update .. sure, tell it to the dev. Has no one noticed they made the dev effectively delay the launch for 2 weeks because it has to be ... incoming to build hype?

Seagal

Oct 10, 2017
Off topic but I wonder how profitable are lewd games on Steam, shame we don't have reliable sales data anymore.

but I will check the Steam reviews for DA just to see if anyone lament not getting it on with X girl which was in the game but they just missed it.
There was never reliable sales data for Steam. Always just ballpark estimates at best. It's even worse now because of the privacy changes and game information on profiles being private by default. So any game data gotten from profile fetching is going to be much much higher than it says.

Profitability wise, I'd say Steam is likely responsible for most of the sales for games that release on Steam, along with Mangagamer, JAST, Denpasoft, DLsite, etc. In fact we've already heard some developers come out and say that. It's just much easier for people to buy on Steam. Everyone is generally able to buy a Steam card or get Wallet funds. Not everyone is going to be able to make in some cases international transactions or pay for things with a Credit or Debit card only.

Some people just buy the stuff on Steam regardless because they want to support Adult Only content on the platform. It's a good and bad thing though, because you will see circles / developers start to cater to what Steam approves of, and if they decide to ban the title then it's very damaging. There's certain things Valve doesn't want on Steam, and that's anything clearly walking within a gray area on underage content. So loli content, school settings, etc.

I doubt you'll see any reviews like that. Most people know what's up, and the game has a clear scene selection playback for people to see what they've missed.

If you want to have a mandatory 2-4 weeks waiting period of beta testing and beating all the bushes on every update .. sure, tell it to the dev. Has no one noticed they made the dev effectively delay the launch for 2 weeks because it has to be ... incoming to build hype?
You wouldn't need to have that every update. It's just a two week period once the Store Page is created before you can actually sell it.

I was asking Philly_Games about CoBD early access, not the DA preorder. It could conceivably be a way to get a nice flow of funds from a wider audience since a lot of people already have Steam. Plus there is a lot of Cyberpunk interest to take advantage of, with CP2077 coming up next year, the new tabletop Cyberpunk that just came out, the recent release of BR2049, etc.
I'd say probably early access isn't a good thing. It's honestly kind of frowned upon, and some users just block all early access titles to begin with. Then you have to consider what is fair to Patrons also, because you can't re-charge per update for an early access title. There needs to be pricing parity also. So it would be best to just wait until CoBD is finished and then release it on Steam. Hopefully with DA release you will even gain some patrons because of it.

Also, you have to opt-in to even be able to see Adult Only content on the store, so the visibility of AO titles is smaller than normally.

Reactions: Dysphorika

septacycell

Dec 27, 2017
So right now Philly is making (minus the 10%) 5204.7$ and whatever taxes comes after. So consider Steam 30% percentage cut, to make the Steam release more profitable it would have to make 5204,7+ the lost 30% (1561.41), so at 10 a piece every month he would have to sell 677 copies, 8124 a year.
Interesting, in my country you need to make at leas 5K in Euros to be taxed.

Anyway, thanks Seagal for the interesting point, and I agree in disagreeing about early access, it does not seem suited for this kind of game and would seem like an attempt to sell it twice and a oddball towards patreons who pay per month, although the steam changelog might turn out funny if properly detailed.

Oh and one more related thing, I wonder how would Philly's characters would look like if rendered in real time in Unity or the UE4. How close could you get to what you render now using a RTX GPU.

thedude

Aug 9, 2016

PinkCake got a lot of new patrons after he released Acting Lessons on steam. And it also got a lot of positive reviews.

I think a similar situation may happen after DA is released on steam.

Reactions: Fantabaldu

Seagal

Oct 10, 2017
So right now Philly is making (minus the 10%) 5204.7$ and whatever taxes comes after. So consider Steam 30% percentage cut, to make the Steam release more profitable it would have to make 5204,7+ the lost 30% (1561.41), so at 10 a piece every month he would have to sell 677 copies, 8124 a year.
Interesting, in my country you need to make at leas 5K in Euros to be taxed.

Oh and one more related thing, I wonder how would Philly's characters would look like if rendered in real time in Unity or the UE4. How close could you get to what you render now using a RTX GPU.
Not sure how they would look. I guess you can take a look at some of the best looking games on PC currently to get an idea of what they might look like. I think it would be really pretty hard to get to the image quality we see right now, especially if you need to render an equally impressive world in real-time also. Certainly would need a much higher budget to attempt it also. And most people wouldn't be able to run the game that's for sure. You know what? Scratch that. I think that Victoria alone is so god damn sexy that any GPU would over heat even trying to render her in real-time. :LOL:

I dunno, I personally don't want to start punching numbers in to ballpark what Philly is making every month or year with this stuff. Everyone can do the math if they really want to get an idea or compare, but let's not put it out here on paper if you know what I mean, or at least I'm not going to. I will say that on Steam during the first week with the launch discount he will make US$6.30 per copy sold of DA. After the first week it will increase to US$7.00.

I just hope the game does well for him, and most of all that he's happy with it. Hopefully some of those buyers would come on over to Patron and jump on-board with him also.

PinkCake got a lot of new patrons after he released Acting Lessons on steam. And it also got a lot of positive reviews.

I think a similar situation may happen after DA is released on steam.
Really good to hear. I did see that the game had a good number of reviews with a 97% positive rating! I really hope Philly and Dr Pink Cake both have very positive experiences on Steam. I know I will be buying my copy of Depraved Awakening on August 30th, just like I did with Acting Lessons when that launched.

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
Steam allows quite a lot of ways to pay for a game: a huge number of both national and international credit cards, bank slips, that wallet system where you buy credits on any store (that sells steam cards).
So whatever the numbers it will be extra money in his pocket and more visibility for his game, and i sure hope CoBD will be there too someday.

MadMac-88

Dec 8, 2017
The lack of Kleo in this update is disturbing.
WhatDidYouSay2.gif :LOL:

Why do I get the feeling that you are a patron on this game and you know something about Kleo content? But you are playing coy to lure Kleo avoiders into thinking there is no Kleo content coming. Then once the update is released and Kleo avoiders have the game downloaded, launched, cock out ready to jack, and then...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
:LOL:

timepants

God of Time (and Pants)
Donor
Game Developer
May 12, 2017
Jus
View attachment 377019 :LOL:

Why do I get the feeling that you are a patron on this game and you know something about Kleo content? But you are playing coy to lure Kleo avoiders into thinking there is no Kleo content coming. Then once the update is released and Kleo avoiders have the game downloaded, launched, cock out ready to jack, and then...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
:LOL:
Just sayin. Hmm, someone in the massacre at the beginning looks very familiar to me.

mvitrak

Jul 12, 2019
Let them fight!
The fight scene has begun. This is going to have some kick ass shots. Hell it already has lots of kick ass shots, I had trouble picking one for this. There will be a good deal of variation and options for this event. Choices you made before may make things tougher or easier for you.
Hopefully it all works out. I want this to be something really new and interesting for you guys to sink your teeth into.
Philly
1566488446183.png

4.80 star(s) 392 Votes