VN Ren'Py Cocky Me (handmade claymation-style) [Sighbug] [Development Thread]

Sighbug

Jun 28, 2024
COCKY ME(2160X540).png
TL;DR
SighBug here, I'm currently experimenting with claymation-style visual novel "Cocky Me" . The creation primarily features handmade set and puppets, complemented by real lighting, as well as stop-motion animation with erotic content.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

About "Cocky Me"
  • Heads Up
The adult visual novel "Cocky Me" is my first project, and I hope it won't be the last. The scale will be small because a newbie like me should avoid being overly ambitious, to prevent the project from becoming too complex and time-consuming.

Moreover, due to space constraints (I don't have extra room for another physical set), the entire story will take place in a single scene. Our MC will not leave this scene; the only thing that will progress is the story's timeline.

This is a challenge for story writing, but it's also a design necessity. At the same time, it will be a kinetic novel. There will be some choices, which won’t affect the story or characters at all, but will provide players with the illusion of having choices and serve as save points.

BTW, English is not my native language, but I'm using AI translation effectively to convey my intended meaning as accurately as possible.
  • Story and the tone
To be honest, I don’t want to reveal too many story details. Saying too much will ruin the surprise. But to put it simply, our protagonist is a penis, literally.

If you are familiar with Kafkaesque nightmares, you’ll have a rough idea of how the story will unfold.

As for the story’s tone, it is an absurd and satirical realist drama. The main storyline revolves around the protagonist's internal monologue and the reactions and changes of the characters around him due to his predicament.

If you really want to know the story, here is the synopsis.
  • Project Length and the expected release time for EP1
The overall story is already finalized, and I know the ending clearly. It's expected to be wrapped up in 5-6 episodes, so the story isn't too lengthy. I aim to avoid dragging it out unnecessarily and will ensure a tight and compact narrative. During this period, I'll focus on learning and honing various necessary skills and techniques, optimizing the production process, and so on, to improve my performance in the next project.

The sole set of this visual novel is already complete. However, aspects such as puppet design, production for other physical shoots, and more are still being explored. Therefore, I've decided to release EP1 in two parts, allowing me some buffer space to handle ongoing production challenges while continuing to work on it.

Currently, the first half of Episode 1 has entered experimental filming. If all goes well, including integrating the text and images into Ren'Py, I anticipate releasing it by the end of August. However, this is just an estimate. I expect to provide a more accurate release schedule soon.
  • Characters
The entire story, apart from the MC, includes a total of 4 female and 1 male characters. Currently, the puppet designs for two female characters have been tentatively confirmed, with potential aesthetic adjustments still under consideration.

After all, the current puppet designs are far from the attractive ideal I envision, leaving significant room for improvement. But based on the development deadline, I just have to accept the limitations of my current sculpting skills and ultimately lean towards a not ideal but stylized approach.

I will show improvement in my next work and enhance the overall aesthetic appeal by then.

• Visuals, animation, music, and sound effects
As you all know now, since it's real scene creation, every photo is taken under real lighting, featuring real interactive scenes with pose-able puppets.

80% of the set objects are handmade by me, will using a classic three-point lighting setup. Currently, the approach to using music and sound effects is unclear and still being explored.

About animation, yes, there will be stop motion animation of lewd scenes. But don't expect too much, as everything is still in the experimental and learning stages.
  • Future plans and tasks
During the "Cocky Me" development phase and beyond, I plan to enhance various production and animation techniques. I will honestly confront my fetish by creating puppets like an alien girl, Cyborg girl and others, and exploring various shorter stop motion animation experiments. In short, I don't see what I'm doing now as just a hobby; rather, it's a career path I envision for the long term.

If my plans, my first project "Cocky Me," and my vision resonate with you, I would greatly appreciate any support and encouragement now or in the future.
Although it's currently only in the early stage, if you still wish to support me, acknowledge my potential for development, and are willing to provide practical support, please visit the subscribe page to choose any plan or simply follow me , thank you.

Last edited: