VN - Ren'Py - Coffee & Cream [Ch.1] [DonaVN]

1. 3.00 star(s)

FatGiant

---> Graphics <---

Quite nice visually. Good lighting. Good poses. Decent captures.
    All in all a very solid work, nothing to complain about.

---> GamePlay <---

Being a Kinetic Novel, there's really nothing to say here.

---> GUI <---

This is my first point of contention. The font used on the dialogues, while legible, is sometimes VERY hard to read. When the scene is too bright or white, even with the 1 pixel border, it's hard to read. I would suggest either an increase to at least 2 pixels border, OR, adding a slider for it in the Options.

---> Writing / Story <---

This is the most important part on a KN, as should be obvious.

I didn't manage to connect with the MC. He is at least a nice guy. But, completely amorphous. In fact, I would call him Boring.

Skye, sincerely, why didn't she took the initiative to call? If it makes no sense for him not to call, it also makes no sense for her to wait until she was called. Make it feel like she really isn't that interested, or, is just playing games. Seriously, left me uninterested.

The other girls, potentially LI's, didn't have enough screen time to allow for an opinion.

The HOT scenes are all imagined. Nothing really happened. Not really that interesting.

-----------

Right now, after this lukewarm first part, the story is quite bland, has no bite. Didn't give any reaction, just a simple BOY Returns Home, with no spark.

---> Conclusion <---

It is visually interesting, but the story didn't go anywhere. A bland and unoriginal take on a stereotype. It is enough to play for the pretty images? Not really, the images while good are NOT good enough to justify the time waste that the story is AT THIS TIME.

Can it be improved? Certainly. I hope it does, I truly wish that the writer can actually find somewhere to go with this story, so far, it hasn't.

Am I being too harsh? No. I am being realistic, a KN lives and dies by the story. That's the point to read one. When the story is this insipid, what really is the point?

With the hope that it improves I would rate this a 2,5 *, that I'll round up to a 3*, it really doesn't deserve that much, but it also doesn't deserve to be rounded down to a 2.

NOTE: This rate is all to the graphics work. And half a point for the hope that the story improves.